18 months maintaining 90+ lb loss

Inshape13
Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
Maybe it is just something about the fact that I am hitting my year and a half mark of losing this weight and really discovering who I am that is making me reflect on things and want to encourage anyone that is wavering on that giving up cliff.

I was the one that had every single excuse in the book. I worked too many hours and then closed my business, I had 2 kids and 1 of them is special needs, I had been through a lot over the years that knocked down my self esteem including a rape and an abusive relationship, I was too out of shape, and I just did not care to take on an insurmountable task of losing close to 100lbs...it was overwhelming to say the least.

My changing moment came when I went to the Dr at 34 and was told to get on blood pressure meds. I decided that was not going to be my life...I would not end up like half of my family, I wanted to be healthy for my kids and lead by example. That was the moment I put down the cupcake and decided to make a change for the better. Over the year it took me to lose the weight, I learned a lot more than calories and macros or plyometrics and running stride. I learned that I am worth putting in the effort and that I am fully capable of being an improved athletic and stronger version of who I am. Don't get me wrong, it sucked in the beginning. It stunk that I was winded after walking a mile with a hill included, it stunk that I did not believe I was worth it, and it stunk that those in real life(outside MFP) were not going through any of it with me. It felt unrelatable, but it also felt exhilarating to say that I could stand on my own two feet, look my unhealthy lifestyle in the face, and kiss it goodbye on step at a time. It was my choice to put my health first and over a year I made changes and lost the weight.

Have I faltered a bit at times over the past year and a half of maintenance? Yes and yes. When I started back in college to get my phys ed degree and trainer certification, that was hard. When I found my life to be unhappy and filed for divorce and struck out on my own with my kids, that was harder. I lost track at times and then found my way back. It does not always have to be easy though, because I just have to know that I CAN do it.

I wanted to reach out to anyone that is out there that is feeling that moment when it seems like it is either not worth it or too much to take on and just tell you that it may seem hard, but it will get easier as you get stronger. You are WORTH it and you DESERVE to be the most fit and healthy version of yourself. You deserve to be happy and to live a life that is fulfilling. You got this!!!

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    You have been to hell and back and still made this happen for yourself. I am so inspired by your strength!
  • Monnik73
    Monnik73 Posts: 16 Member
    Great post. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • You are an inspiration! I'm so proud to have you as a mfp friend! I'm very proud of you for what you have overcome, what you have accomplished and for constantly fighting the battles of everyday. You are amazing! :flowerforyou:
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! You do deserve this and you are awesome! :flowerforyou: :wink:
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    That was an amazing, inspirational post. I'm not necessarily the target of the post as I'm not giving up (or about to give up) ... but I always enjoy reading inspirational things. It adds fuel to the fire.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Yeehaw! I'm always proud of you, and inspired by you. Own it girl!
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Great job! You should be proud.
  • Monna2
    Monna2 Posts: 100 Member
    God!!
    I am really inspired. You dserve the best.
    I AM one of those who always give up and say what the heck :(
    What you said really inspired me
    Thank you
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!