Insane in the Grain Brain

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Lol Perlmutter

Read the whole takedown of the book here;

http://bitemywords.com/2014/04/16/insane-in-the-grain-brain/
My library hold finally came in! No way was I paying to read Grain Brain. I like to financially support quacks as little as possible.

First thought: Including a quote from Dr. Oz on the front cover of your book does little for your credibility.

Second thought: I really like the font used for the Contents page.

Introduction: “I’m also a founding member and fellow of the American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine.” Cue alarm bells! He said the “H-word”! I promptly googled the organization to learn more. Hmm… While I like the general notion of treating the patient as a whole I’m not sure about this principle: “Integrative holistic physicians strive to relate to patients with grace, kindness and acceptance, emanating from the attitude of unconditional love as life’s most powerful healer.” Love as the most powerful healer?? Call me crazy but I’m not going to my doc for love to heal me when I have an injury or infection. For more about the ABIH check out this post on Science-Based Medicine. Which confirms my fear that this certification has essentially zero meaning. Okay… So the author, David Perlmutter, is the founder of a quack organization. Still, just for fun, I’ll keep reading and see what his “proof” regarding the toxicity of grains is.

Modern wheat is not the same as the wheat of our ancestors. Yeah, yeah. We’ve heard this all before.

“Why is precious little information made available about how we can keep our brains healthy and stave off brain diseases?” I do like this question. Also, I suspect the answer is the same for the brain as for other organs: get plenty of exercise, avoid being sedentary, cook for yourself, and eat more veg. Oh, wait. Not according to Perlmutter, “it’s pointless to consume antioxidants.”Forget the veg, apparently we should all be eating more fat and cholesterol.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Is this the sequel to Wheat Belly? :laugh:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Tagging to come back later.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mimwhyL21e1qmoouwo1_500.gif
  • blkane1984
    Options
    I have to agree that there is a lot of utter nonsense out there with grain discussions. However, I wouldn't knock the whole study.
    There are those among us (me included) who have side effects to ingesting Gluten in any form. Underneath the nonsense, is some truths. You just have to wade through the muck. I found out about 2 years ago after a series of miserable gastric infections that I needed to eliminate wheat from my diet. The infections and miscellaneous other symptoms disappeared from my daily life.

It is certainly NOT a diet plan. It is very annoying when people say "Oh are you doing that new Gluten free diet? How much weight have you lost?" Ummm...none My weight loss has to do with eating healthy and reducing my caloric intake.
  • justsarah07
    justsarah07 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been almost 100% grain free since last September. I've lost (and kept off!) 20 pounds by eating low carb/high fat and skipping out on the grains and sugars. Before you knock the books, read them, there is some very good information within that has helped a lot of people.