are there any good salad dressings

Options
Just started this MFP about 2 weeks ago, and having hard time finding real low calorie products. Does low calorie always mean it cost more?:noway:
Tried Hidden Valley fat free, I guess the calorie count is good, but boy did it taste awful.
Anybody know of some good salad dressings and possibly a way to spent less on this new diet?

Replies

• BoubouChan
    BoubouChan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms' yogurt dressings are quite good. I've tried Ranch (25 cals per tbs) and Cilantro Avocado (20 cals per tbs) and found them much better than other reduced fat dressings I've tried in the past. They are in the refrigerated aisle and price is comparable to other brands.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I like Kraft Light Balsamic Vinegrette, it's tasty and just 25 cals per serving.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I really like Renees Yogurt dill and cucumber. Its 40cal /tbsp. seems high but goes a long way since its creamy
  • tawnywest
    tawnywest Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I buy a pouch of ranch dressing mix (Club House or other brand) and instead of 1 cup milk and 1 cup mayonnaise I just add 2 cups of milk and 1 spoonful of mayonnaise. It's kind of runny but delicious on a chicken, avocado, lettuce salad and negligible calories. The original recipe I saw on Pinterest called for 1 cup 0% fat Greek yoghurt and 1/2 cup skim milk but I ran out of the yoghurt and found the skim milk by itself was fine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Newman's Light Sesame Ginger is good. 36 calories for 2 TBL.

Tawny has a good suggestion: dry seasoning packets added to Greek yogurt (with a little milk). It won't taste quite the same......but you don't have the added fake fat garbage. Besides Greek has great protein numbers.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Also buy Renee's. I get the creamy poppyseed 1/2 the fat dressing to fit my macros better. I think it's 45 cals/tbsp. Worth the calories. I have bought fat free kraft dressings and none have ever done it for me taste-wise. If I'm eating salad, dressing needs to be on point!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Honestly we eat salad a lot in my house and only own 1 bottle of dressing (Hidden Valley chipotle southwest ranch, not low calorie) which mostly gets used on my eggs and occasionally on fish tacos or something. My husband prefers oil & vinegar as dressing, and I usually use one of the following in lieu of prepared salad dressing.

salsa or picante
    mashed avocado
    1 TBSP light olive oil mayo mixed with 1 tsp Sriracha
    1 TBSP light olive oil mayo mixed with 1/3 TBSP Thai chili sauce and 1 tsp Sriracha
    1 TBSP light olive oil mayo mixed with 1 tsp ketchup & 1/4 tsp Cavender's Greek seasoning - great on veggie burgers/hamburgers too
    small quantity of Thai chili sauce - less than a TBSP - delicious on a salad of mixed greens and fresh basil with crab...so good
    Also weird but good...chopped grapes and a tiny drizzle of honey. Good on salads with chicken or tuna and a few nuts.
  • Snail_Whale
    Snail_Whale Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I prefer to just skip dressing and use cider or rice vinegar. Tastes pretty good.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Kens Greek dressing is really good. I think the fat in a basic dressing is needed.
  • OccamsDisposableRazor
    Options
    *bump* :-)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    You need some dietary fat in your diet. I eat of lot of salad because I like salad, and I often use the dressing as a source of dietary fat.

Olive oil and white wine vinegar with a dash of honey
    Olive oil and balsamic vinegar with a dash of honey
    Thai peanut dressing (2T peanut butter, 3 T soy, garlic, honey, sriracha, ginger, 1/4 cup water, lime juice) - makes 5 servings
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I find bottled salad dressing such a waste of money. Nothing tastes better than (good high-quality) olive oil mixed with (good high-quality) vinegar and a pinch of (good high-quality sea) salt. Don't try to add them to your salad separately and toss--they won't be properly amalgamated, Whisk them together in a small bowl, drizzle the mixture over your rinsed and dried greens immediately, and toss (use utensils or your hands). Cheaper, better tasting, better for you. The traditional ratio is 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar, but I go closer to 50/50. I like either balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
  • gschnitzler
    gschnitzler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have always liked ranch dressing, but found that most of the light or fat free versions had an awful taste. I even tried mixing the Hidden Valley dry packet with plain Greek yogurt, but I still didn't care for it. I've found that the Hidden Valley Light Ranch (not fat free) isn't bad, but my favorite is Marzetti's Light Ranch (comes in a jar, usually found in the refrigerated section in the produce department). It's a bit more expensive, but it tastes really good.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I do the same as seltzermint (but no spicy things for me). Just mash up an avocado, salsa (or mix a little salsa into the mashed up avocado). Sometimes I use a little tzatziki (greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, cucumber). Sometimes I use the full fat Ranch dressing, but I don't pour it on the salad. Just dip your fork in it. Once in a while I will use lemon juice mixed with a tsp of olive oil and some pepper. I'm not fond of the vinegar based dressings, but if you like the taste, just drizzle a little balsamic on the salad.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Renees half fat caesar. Its the best. It doesnt taste low fat. 45 calories per tbsp.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms' yogurt dressings are quite good. I've tried Ranch (25 cals per tbs) and Cilantro Avocado (20 cals per tbs) and found them much better than other reduced fat dressings I've tried in the past. They are in the refrigerated aisle and price is comparable to other brands.

This is what I was going to suggest, they actually taste better than the real thing to me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

Thai peanut dressing (2T peanut butter, 3 T soy, garlic, honey, sriracha, ginger, 1/4 cup water, lime juice) - makes 5 servings

yum! We do something similar for stir fry veggies and/or noodles but I never considered putting it on salad. Gonna do that right away -- thanks!!
  • TheRealNoodlette
    TheRealNoodlette Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't really like packaged salad dressings anymore, they are too sweet for me... I usually just end up doing salt and pepper, and lemon juice. Maybe also some chili flakes.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Just found a carrot and ginger low sodium one from Whole foods...2 TBSP are only 40 cals..NO fat...made in Cindi's Kitchen, Brockton, MA...it's delish...was sick of the balsamic flavor all the time...LOVEEE this!
  • summer92008
    Options
    Try Italian dressings in the "Lite" version. I have wishbone lite italian dressing and it is only 35 calories for a tablespoon (or something like that).