Snack Drawer

Options
So I've tried to stop eating at the cafeteria as often as I used to. Part of my solution has been to create a snack drawer in my office for when I get hungry. Thing is, it's hard to come up with stuff to put in it! Right now I've got some dark chocolate (for when I'm craving sugar), rice crackers and some rice cakes. I bring stuff in from home that's perishable to go with my drawersnacks but does anybody have any suggestions for something yummy, non-perishable and low calorie to stick in my desk?

Replies

• scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Nuts, especially almonds.
  • lowlevelrebel
    lowlevelrebel Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ooh, good one, I love almonds!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I keep whole wheat melba toast packets and almonds in there in case I'm absolutely starving.
  • kaschwab
    Options
    I keep crackers, luna bars, and soy joy in there :)
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    Kashi makes good Protein bars.. Chocolate and peanuts and almonds.. It's high in protein and very tastey. they are a bit expensive, but to me WORTH IT!
  • amsomers510
    Options
    I have been making trail mix bags for myself with raisins, sunflower seeds, whole grain cereal, and dark chocolate chips. Just keep the measurements at one TBSP for the raisin and seeds, 1/4 for cereal and just a few chips.
    I also raid the children's isle at whole foods for z-bars which are a children's version of cliff bars but half the calories. Apple cinnamon and blueberry are personal favorites. They also make something called twisted fruit which is great. 70 calories and all real fruit. Pirates Booty (veggie flavor) is really satisfying. It is puffed rice/corn and you get a lot of food for 130 calories. Freeze dried fruit is awesome. I also love the organic lollypops which are 25 calories each.
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    Tuna! It's non perishable and has lots of protein
  • lowlevelrebel
    Options
    I keep crackers, luna bars, and soy joy in there :)

Out of those three, i only knew about the existence of crackers!

/wanders over to google
  • lowlevelrebel
    Options
    amsomers510 -- thank you for the great suggestions. I used to be a trail mix addict, and with your suggestions, i may become one again! for whole grain cereal-- would that be a quarter cup of it?
  • jazzhottie
    Options
    I like to have V8 juice in my drawer. It is only 70 calories per can, and 2 servings of vegetables. It is a good way to get my salty craving fixed. But I like to do the low sodium kind because the regular can be pretty high.

What's better than a virgin Bloody Mary in the middle of the day? heehee :happy:
  • lowlevelrebel
    Options
    Well I can think of one thing better than a virgin bloody mary.. :wink:

That's a great suggestion, though. I used to drink a ton of those at my old job. Forgot all about them!
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I used to keep a can of soup in my desk (don't forget to bring a can opener like me though) for those days I ran out the door without a packed lunch.
  • amsomers510
    Options
    I think I used a full serving or you can use a half.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My work snack drawer typically contains an assortment of:

Plain instant oatmeal
    100 calorie bags of popcorn
    Special K bars
    Fiber One bars
    Apples
    random 100 calorie snack packs, both salty and sweet options
    Mini rice cakes
    Special K Cracker Chips