How to handle a skinned toe to keep running

Options
I have a tendency to squish my toes when I run so I started to tape my toes up but after a 10K on Sunday I have skinned a few layers off the toe NEXT to the toe I taped up. The day of the injury I cleaned it and put polysporin and a bandaid on it, today (because I do walk around) I just have a bandaid (no polysporin) covering it but after walking at lunch I have irritated it again. I have a 5K on Saturday and would like to continue jogging for this week.

What should I do about my skinned toe and any other suggestions for my squishing toes? (Someone mentioned moleskin to me)

Replies

• TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Don't know what to do about the damage that's done, but maybe different running shoes (larger toe box, or maybe just going a size up) and good socks could prevent it in the future?
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Maybe toe socks could keep the skin from rubbing?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    My first question would be why your toe is squishing in the first place. My theories would be:

1. shoes are the wrong size/ fit
    2. toenails are too long
    or a combination of both. As someone who's lost toenails because of both of these things, I would rule these out before you continue.

As for what to do about your 5km, I would suggest wearing open toed shoes like flip flops this week, continue with the polysporin and bandaid, and DO NOT run this week. That spot is difficult to heal, and it will not heal if you continue to run. Maybe do some swimming to keep up your cardio for your run if you're worried about it.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    http://www.injinji.com/?gclid=CIzRzNDGncACFZJr7Aod90kAxg

Never used these, but I know runners who swear by them...

And it sounds like like you need a wider toe box....

But until then, suck it up and pound out that 5k.... what's 30 minutes of pain? It will build character....:happy:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yeah like the above comments, are you sure you are wearing the proper running shoes?? If not then go get fitted at a running shoe store... (You sound like a larger toe box would help you out). I don't have any suggestions for the damage done but have heard others have use moleskin as well.... Best of Luck
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I asked about the toe box previously on here but no one was able to tell me how I can tell if my toebox isn't wide enough (I can spread my toes out in my shoes and barely touch the sides)

My toes do overlap, even at rest (at home pedicures are interesting)

Toe socks drive me batty. I had them as a kid and the seams would rub against the webbing in my toes and make me irritable until I took them off.

LoneWolfRunner: I would love to suck it up and keep running, but I would like to try protect my toe to limit the pain and limit the irritation running causes it so it heals.
    Options
    I asked about the toe box previously on here but no one was able to tell me how I can tell if my toebox isn't wide enough (I can spread my toes out in my shoes and barely touch the sides)

My toes do overlap, even at rest (at home pedicures are interesting)

Toe socks drive me batty. I had them as a kid and the seams would rub against the webbing in my toes and make me irritable until I took them off.

LoneWolfRunner: I would love to suck it up and keep running, but I would like to try protect my toe to limit the pain and limit the irritation running causes it so it heals.

You definitely need to visit a running store. A proper running store, not a sporting goods store. The experts will be able to have you walk and observe your gait, look at your feet, and get you a proper pair of shoes that fit your feet. It may cost a bit more for a proper pair of shoes but I promise you, it will make a world of difference.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For a different perspective, I am a barefoot runner. For whatever reason, my toes overlap each other and have done so my entire life. My toes are not squished since The toe box on my shoes are plenty wide :happy: Every spring I have the same problem until the skin between my toes toughen. I will also experience this if I push my training by increasing speed or distance too much. I use it as a early warning to keep myself from pushing to hard and really getting injured.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Firm believer in Injinji toe socks and body glide (or just stick deodorant). I run a LOT and rarely have problems with blisters anymore.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    BinkyBonk: I have been to a chiropractor about my falling arches (I have high arches until I put weight on my feet then they fall). They gave me inserts but they are so hard that I want to stop running long before I'm tired because my feet hurt. I have wore them in my shoes for a month (just casually) before I gave up on them completely. I explained this when I went to the Running Room for shoes. I spent $175 on them and they are freaking amazing because I don't get shin splints anymore!! I just have the toe issue.

CodeMonkey78: just like, regular deodorant helps? I would like to try that option because the whole taping of my toes and moleskin sounds like it would be expensive. I'm thankful that in a couple months it will be winter and running will be less or non-existent (focusing on strength and I live in Canada, winter is 9 months a year!)
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    CodeMonkey78: just like, regular deodorant helps? I would like to try that option because the whole taping of my toes and moleskin sounds like it would be expensive. I'm thankful that in a couple months it will be winter and running will be less or non-existent (focusing on strength and I live in Canada, winter is 9 months a year!)

Yes -- just plain, stick deodorant :^). You could also use Chap-Stick, but that takes longer to apply (especially to your feet!). IMO, a good coat of of this works just as well as Body Glide and will save you some money.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    When I went to the Running Room they suggested the Body Glide and I didn't want to spend the money if it wasn't going to fix the problem.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Moleskin is good, because it is very sticky and tends not dislodge even while running. I also use it for nipple protectors. You can also look for toe sleeves or toe caps. Can't say if they'd be an worse than toe socks.
    Options
    [/quote]

LOL where do you live? I live in Vancouver and although winter is 9 months a year, it's raining, so I still run. You're playing into the whole Canadian stereotype with that comment :laugh: If there's too much snow, I think dogsledding burns some calories :wink:
    Options
    ^^ Oh, Regina. LOL NVM, I understand now :laugh:
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    ^^ Oh, Regina. LOL NVM, I understand now :laugh:

Good ol Saskatchewan!! lol
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options

LOL where do you live? I live in Vancouver and although winter is 9 months a year, it's raining, so I still run. You're playing into the whole Canadian stereotype with that comment :laugh: If there's too much snow, I think dogsledding burns some calories :wink:
    [/quote]

It works awesome for me (as well as the Injinji toe socks) -- I will not spend the money on Body Glide ever again. If it tells you anything, I live in the south (Ala-effing-bama) where it's ALWAYS humid enough to need gills or a snorkel to run! My feet NEVER stay dry while running and zero problems.

Stick deodorant also works well to prevent nipple chafing on "shorter" runs. For my longer runs, I apply two coats of "Liquid Bandage" and let it dry before leaving. It works great and is also a lot cheaper.

HTH!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    If there's too much snow, I think dogsledding burns some calories :wink:

Time to buy some racing snowshoes!
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    Maybe toe socks could keep the skin from rubbing?

I was just going to say this same thing. Toe socks toss in some baby powder too. I used to have an extreme case of this myself.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    you've had lots of great advise about what to do in the future but i'll answer for your current problem

i skinned my toe on my stag do the other weekend (i'm still not sure how) and thought i wouldn't be able to run for a while, my other half got me something called Compeed which is like a plaster but it's got some magic voodoo in it that makes a padded seal over your injury until it heals

i highly recommend them