Exercises I can do at the YMCA? 425lb guy

Options
2»

Replies

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Swimming--water aerobics would be a good start.
  • Nicholeagogo
    Options
    This is going to sound really simple but walk around the block. Try to make it one loop first, then push a little more the next day, and the next, etc. Also, if you want to work out at home Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVDs are fantastic. I started out at 392.8lbs and I exclusively used her DVDs as my workout routine. I've lost over 70lbs now, and I am going to start lifting now.

YOU CAN DO IT! NEVER GIVE UP!
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I've been incredibly lucky, I think... I've not encountered mobility issues or pain from my weight (other than being slower than someone half my size). HIIT is a great thing when you can get into it... As I said in another thread earlier, I love nothing more than being able to do the same amount of work that would take me an hour at low intensity into a sub-30 minute time frame.

It's ****ing hard. There's no doubt, but you'll find that if for absolutely no other reason than the way you feel? It's worth it 1000000%.

Mobility might have been the wrong word. I'm not unable to tie my shoes or have to ride a scooter around, but from a muscle/tendons/joints perspective, I'm just incredibly inflexible. Squat form is horrible and the like. Stove up might be a good phrase.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Take it easy. Don't work so hard this week that you'll hate it next week. I love the water aerobic suggestions for you. Otherwise (or also), just walk, 20 minutes a day, 3x a week. Increase gradually but only if you are feeling ready to do so. Don't press it. Do this until you've lost 40 lbs.

Once you've lost 40, start picking up some exercises here and there. Do 5 core exercises -- your pick -- except for crunches. Don't do crunches. Do 1 set x 40 seconds a day for each, takes 5 minutes, 3x a week. Again don't press it, but move to 2 sets and then 3 sets only as you are feeling ready. Do this until you've lost 80 lbs.

By then you're into some good habits and your body should be guiding you where to go next.

The whole point of this is to avoid injury, keep you enthused and liking your new routines, and give you enough exercise to allow you to burn fat without losing the muscle you already have from being a big guy.
  • Water_Gal
    Water_Gal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am an aquatic director at a Y in CT. Water exercise will be great for you and especially kind to your plantar fasciitis. Deep water jogging, skiing and bicycling will be great for your joints, core and cardio and may even help your foot. Ask the staff there for help with flotation devices if you need support or help with balancing verticle in the water. You can also use buoyancy equipment to work your upper body. It will help your weight loss goals to get regular exercise and water is definitely a good cross training for the days when you arent do walking or weight training.

Let me know if you want more info, and good luck!