Would Water Pills Help Me Lose Fat Cells Faster?

Options
My Question is, if we lose water weight before fat weight would I benefit from taking water pills a couple hours before working out? I’ve found natural water pills that CVS sells and I’m considering buying them. I fully understand that the weight lost from the water pills is only temporary, I was just curious if it would help my body focus on burning more fat cells. Also I would like to know how safe this would be to do? I have a congenital heart condition and am limited; I can’t do strenuous work outs and need to rest frequently. I don’t want to take something that could harm my body even more. Thank you!

Here’s the water pills:
http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Natural-Water-Pills?skuId=708523#productTabs-5

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of those and I'm going to automatically assume it's a money grab, but that's just me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    no
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    No. Unless suggested or prescribed by your Dr, don't. The use of those can upset your electrolyte balance.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Why do you think that losing water weight before working out might make you lose weight faster?
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I dunno but they might send you running to the bathroom...Just saying....Don't know from experience or anything...
  • PeachyPeanut89
    Options
    I was under the impression that we lose water weight before we lose fat. So if taking these pills takes off the water weight I thought it would help my body focus on the fat cells rather than the water.
  • PeachyPeanut89
    Options
    I probably wont buy them but I figured it was worth asking! :tongue:
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Considering you have a heart condition - I would not suggest getting advice from anyone else but your doctor. I take water pills but they are prescribed for my high blood pressure.

There is nothing to be ashamed about having to take frequent breaks especially with your heart condition. Would also suggest talking to your doctor or getting a referral to a qualified personal trainer / fitness instructor to set up an exercise program that would work for you. I've seen a good number of people at the pool doing water aerobics. They really seem to enjoy the workouts.

Finally, please don't try to rush the weight loss. Personally I get burnt every time I try to lose the weight in a hurry. You didn't get here overnight, you won't reach goal weight overnight.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    No, and in fact taking them before working out could dehydrate you. Do NOT take diuretics unless you have a bloody good reason to, they can be dangerous if you're not retaining fluid. They are NOT for use as some cockamayme weightloss attempt.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You could stand in the middle of the Sahara and become as desiccated as a piece of beef jerky but you'd still be fat. Unless you have a condition that causes you to retain ungodly amounts of fluid (like me), diuretics are not a smart thing to play with. Water retention doesn't get in the way of fat loss. Your body will know to "focus" on losing fat if you eat less. If you feel bloated, maybe try avoiding sodium-laden foods for awhile. I have to take water pills (prescribed by my MD for a heart condition). They help me get rid of the water that other people are able to shed naturally. However, they do not make the pounds drop off. Only eating at a deficit will do that. If I ate too much, I'd gain weight. I keep to my proper caloric intake, and the weight is coming off. I don't know what the over-the-counter water pills are, but they're probably a waste of money and time. But who knows? You have to do you own thing. Good luck to you, and stay dry!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Dehydrating yourself before a work out, while you have a heart condition doesn't sound worth it at all- even if you do drop 1 or 2 lbs, if you are as "dessicated as beef jerky." Tee-hee, that phrase made me laugh.
  • oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We never lose fat cells. They are with us forever! We can only shrink them!
  • PeachyPeanut89
    Options
    Thanks for your humorous reply countscalories. Your statement "Water retention doesn't get in the way of fat loss" has strengthen my decision NOT to purchase these pills. I don't retain a huge amount of fluid but because of my heart condition I have low blood pressure. My heart doctor has even recommend I have more sodium in my diet to raise my blood pressure to normal levels which is making me retain more water than usual. I really appreciate your reply and wish you the best with your heart and health!
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You deplete sugar stores (in liver and and bloodstream) when working out and then start working on fat breakdown. Your body doesn't do "water first then fat" - it doesn't work that way. Furthermore fat reduction doesn't happen just at a workout; your workout burns calories which you can then capitalize on by not "replenishing" all of them through food.

When energy out (from walking or working out or sleeping, doesn't matter) exceeds energy in (from food) you will lose weight.

As for using a diuretic before working out - absolutely NOT. I have no idea what your heart condition is (and am not a doc anyway) but dehydration can lead to arrhythmia in severe cases; in minor cases it can reduce the efficiency of your workout which is counterproductive to burning more calories.
  • kerrymaas
    kerrymaas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fat cells are unlike muscle cells...you can NEVER lose fat cells. Your weight is determined by the rate at which you store energy from the food that you eat, and the rate at which you use that energy. Remember that as your body breaks down fat, the number of fat cells remains the same; each fat cell simply gets smaller. Taking water pills is senseless and should only be used under the advice of your doctor. (1) Eat a balanced diet - appropriate amounts of carbohydrates, fat and protein
    (2) Do not eat excessively - for most people, a diet of 1,500 to 2,000 calories a day is sufficient to maintain a healthy weight
    (3) Exercise regularly

It's pretty simple...eat 5-6 small meals a day, stay within your daily coloric intake, and exercise daily. It requires 3500 calories burned to lose one pound so if you eat 8500 calories in a week and you burn 12,000 calories exercising in that week theoretically you would lose one pound. But remember...you must eat clean, stay away from processed foods and get a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat in your daily meals.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    OP - just... wow.

kerrymaas - yes, you can lose fat cells, it just involves the use of surgical tools.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    There's no short cuts. Concentrate on working hard and eating at a deficit, and you'll lose weight.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Lol. Please tell me how you think that this will help you lose fat cells.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ls6tor3M0X1r0ffnyo1_250.gif
  • PeachyPeanut89
    Options
    Lol. Please tell me how you think that this will help you lose fat cells.

Um I did twice? If only there was a forum where I could ask questions about topics that I'm unfamiliar with to people who may or may not know more about information in that subject area. Oh wait! There is and I'm on it right now! So your mockery comment is highly unnecessary thanks. And PS: Nice profile picture... Now if there is anyone else who finds this humorous because I'm not a dietitian, nutritionist, nurse, fitness trainer, et cetera leave. To rest thanks for the encouragement and information.