How'd you meet your significant other?

Options

Replies

• tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I met at the neighbor's house. Their parents weren't home and they had kids over. I was 16 and my hubby was 18. My hubby walked in with no shirt on, Levi jeans, Vans and long hair (80's rocker hair.... oh so sexy back in the day)... my eyes almost fell out of my head. It was love at first sight for me and many moons later, he told me the night we met he knew he would marry me. We have been together ever since that teen gathering. We have been married almost 23 years, together 28 years and have two kids (ages 17 and 22). Marriage is a tremendous amount of work with lots of ups and downs, but it is so worth it. I love him with all my heart (although there are times I want to poke him in the eye for being a jerk, but that is part of life).

Good luck and hope you find someone special!
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Mine is a "you won't believe it happened" thing. We met through a gaming site, dated for a few years, then got married. He's from another country. So you do find love in strange places.
  • stephanie763
    stephanie763 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was volunteering with a youth group and supervising a tour of the aviation facilities in our town. He was doing one of the presentations :)
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    we met in a college psych class
    I called him by the wrong name for the first 4 months we knew each other
    when I found out his real name I asked him why he would let me call him by the wrong name
    he said "I was just happy you were talking to me"
    that was 22 years ago
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Met my beautiful wife in the Navy. We were both aircraft maintenance techs stationed in San Diego. We fell in love, got married and have been happily stationed together for the last 26 years. Hope everyone who's looking finds their special someone too.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I love hearing these stories. :flowerforyou:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    My BF and his BF were dating and set us up.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Craigslist. Was only looking for someone to get stoned with and I met the love of my life

This is awesome. My dream date. LOL
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    funnily enough at church. neither of us were really going at the time but went with family for a special Christmas eve program. It will be 17 years on October 3rd.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The internet. (okcupid to be more exact)
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Newly single, 42 and just curious how people (especially my age) meet someone. :smooched:

Met my wife online 8 years ago, on Yahoo Personals. Back then it was somewhat taboo, people would ask her if I was a creep and stuff haha! Nowadays a lot of people do online dating. It seemed a lot better than just going out to bars and clubs. At least you get to sort of screen for the type of people you'd be interested in. I think today Match.com or Eharmony are pretty popular.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Online...finally met a wonderful man after many pyschos, con artists, and just plain freaks. It was a site just met for casual dating and meeting new people but we clicked. Be very careful with online dating but it is possible to find someone wonderful.
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    On myspace (kinda) my best friend at the time is now married to his brother. My fiance was in a bad realtionship that was ending (I didn't know he was in one at all) and my friend was all " you should add him, he's just your type". So I did. We chatted a few times about bands and such (that's when I found out he was with someone). Nothing major and only maybe 3 times. My best friend wanted to go out with her boyfriend(curent husband, fiances brother) and my fiance had to go to "watch them" being the older brother (by this point him and chick had split). I was asked by my friend to go so I did. Almost 8 years later we been friends since then. And dating 4 years (I was only 16 when we met, he was 22, he said I was jail bait! That's why it took us so long to get to gether. He ended up in another relationship). A wonderful 2 year old and one on the way. Engaged with plans on getting married if ever we have the money! Lol.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Met her here.

awesome...I was wondering if I'd hear about a couple getting together here. :drinker:
  • VenusSparks
    Options
    Met my husband in college - at the cafeteria line - while we were both getting chicken tenders. I was trying to keep a low profile but he immediately noticed my Gummy Bear shirt <3
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I met my wife in a bar which makes her cringe when I tell everyone because: a) she's not the 'bar type' and was only there with some friends from overseas; and b) she's also older than I am so I make a point of also telling everyone that she was a cougar who seduced a younger, naive, man. :happy:

We didn't actually hook up then or anything (apparently she actually thought I was unfriendly!) but I hatched a cunning plan to become friends with a group of people that I knew she knew so I could make some less than subtle inquiries about her, all of which culminated in my eventually leaving a rose and a note for her on her car wind-screen... Which, looking back, was probably a lot like stalking! :laugh:

LOL! You're not alone. I met my husband in a dance club which we later found out was a notorious gang hangout. We were both graduate students from the same uni who came in different groups. We only chatted briefly and danced a little. I tried to covertly (with stalking behavior) find out more about him through a mutual friend but she was really vague - later I found out she was sweet on him too. He and I were friends for a while, dated 6 years and have been married for 13 years.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    We both had the same major in college and in junior year we started having a lot of classes together. I was interested, but I knew she was seeing someone from casual conversation.

Later that semester, on yearbook picture day I came to school dressed in a business suit. As she walked into class, she stopped, backed up, than slowly walked to her seat obviously checking me out the whole time. It was wonderfully awesome and horribly embarrassing because the professor and whole class watched the entire thing unfold with huge grins on their faces!

Well, obviously I didn't care about her relationship with anyone else at that point so, I asked her out. We went to lunch in the city a couple of days later and she broke it off with the other guy right after our date.

We've been happily married for 22 years now.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Met my ex on a dating site. Marriage lasted 10 years at least; although been separated for close to 2 and about to be finally divorced soon.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    We both had the same major in college and in junior year we started having a lot of classes together. I was interested, but I knew she was seeing someone from casual conversation.

Later that semester, on yearbook picture day I came to school dressed in a business suit. As she walked into class, she stopped, backed up, than slowly walked to her seat obviously checking me out the whole time. It was wonderfully awesome and horribly embarrassing because the professor and whole class watched the entire thing unfold with huge grins on their faces!

Well, obviously I didn't care about her relationship with anyone else at that point so, I asked her out. We went to lunch in the city a couple of days later and she broke it off with the other guy right after our date.

We've been happily married for 22 years now.

What an awesome story! Love these! :smile: :smile: