Gobsmacked!

Options
2»

Replies

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Fettuccine Alfredo from Olive Garden. :) 1090 calories. Add in a couple of bread sticks and salad dressing and it's my entire day's calorie allotment.

Now I always check the calories and nutrition before I go out and know what I'm going to order before I'm there.

Only one place I can't find the nutrition for and that is a local place called Killer Burger. The best burger I've ever, ever eaten I can only imagine it has 1500+ calories.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    I look before I go, but WOW!!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I had a surprise in the opposite direction. I had a doughnut (local brand similar to a Krispy Kreme) that I was sure would be a ton of calories but it was only about 1/2 of what I expected.

That is a nice surprise!
    However, when it comes to KrispyKreme doughnuts, I could easily put away 6. So, I just avoid them these days.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Anymore, I like to check the menu online before i go if it is avaliable. I tend to not eat out often anymore, too expensive and i like to know what goes in my food.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I cook in a high-volume kitchen. I started about 3 years ago. I now understand one reason people are overweight.

We put so much sugar and fat into almost everything we prepare. That's what makes it taste so good.

People have the oatmeal or granola and think they're making a healthy choice (and they are delicious).

Well, the oatmeal has coconut milk and cups and cups of sugar added. Then people add MORE sugar and more full-fat milk or cream and raisins. The granola is only half oats -- the other half is sugar, maple syrup (flavored corn syrup really), and canola oil! People top the granola with coconut, raisins, and full-fat milk. That is one hefty breakfast!

I'm convinced that most people (myself included) simply do not realize what is in their food. It's better to cook your own! :)
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Speaking of onion --

Outback Bloomin' Onion is nearly 2000 calories for the whole thing (and I used to split it with one friend - yikes).

Also - even though it is way delicious and I still partake - a chipotle burrito like how I used to do it is over 1000 calories. I get salads and bowls now. Heh.
  • GoGoGirl1111
    GoGoGirl1111 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi, Kentucky Fried Chicken: WOW!! It's a killer: Never again :)
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    We were going to get take out from a local chain taco shop that happened to list nutritional info online. I was going to get a salad. Without the dressing, it had 1100 calories and 115% saturated fat for the day. Nothing else was any better. I went to the grocery store instead feeling sorry for myself :( I know you are going to say I should live a little and I do but that just kind of killed the mood for me for some reason...
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    My last gobsmacking was my Birthday dinner last March. We went to Joe's Crab Shack and I decided I was just going to order what I want and worry about it later. Turns out the Fish and chips were 1430 calories, 3160 mg sodium and the key lime pie was 1230 calories. 2660 calories!

imagejpg1_zpsbf0e5dfb.jpg