Low BMR?

Options
13»

Replies

• djinkx
    djinkx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully maintained a diet of 1200 cal OR LESS long-term, and anyone who KNOWS that their BMR is, say, 30% below the typical numbers reported here but has still lost weight and maintained the loss.

the last week in january i began a 1200-1300 calorie diet to lose 20-ish pounds, and based on my projected BMR/RMR numbers i was expecting to lose 1 - 2 pounds a week. but the weight was barely moving, and so i decided that i'd try dropping to 1000 - 1100 cals/day - then the pounds finally started coming off, albeit still at a snail's pace.

a couple months ago i decided to have my BMR tested, and the results were that my BMR is under the lowest 30th percentile for women of my age/weight, and that with a lightly active lifestyle i should aim for 1000 - 1075 calories/day for weight loss. i felt so validated - on the one hand it's kind of sad to hear you really do have a sluggish metabolism, but it exactly meshed with my experience and confirmed the problem wasn't that i was just eating more than i thought.

so yes, it's possible - it was at a rate of only about 2.85 lbs/month, but i managed to lose 23 lbs and get to 18% body fat (bod pod tested). but i did find exercise to be critical - the losing stalled if i couldn't make it to yoga class or for a long walk for a few days.

(by the way, you mentioned in another post that you had had your thyroid tested, but typical thyroid testing doesn't necessarily identify all thyroid issues - some people produce thyroid hormones so their blood panels are fine, but the body isn't able to convert and uptake them to to do their jobs. adrenal fatigue is another culprit in slow metabolism and low energy - and the low energy you mention does make me wonder whether something might be going on. might be work checking out, especially if you also have a low body temperature, are cold all the time, have brittle hair, dry skin, moodiness, difficulty concentrating, muscle aches - well, there are bunches of symptoms, actually.)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    One more time - and for the last time - you are using calculators that do no account for your very high levels of body fat. You do not have a "low" BMR, you have completely incorrect expectations for what a normal BMR should be.

Your original question has been answered multiple times in multiple ways - you are using the calculators incorrectly - and I'm sorry if you don't like the answer, but I'm not responsible for your belief choices.

Good luck to you. Genuinely. Because based on this thread, you're really going to need a lot of it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Some of the BMR estimates have large populations of Italian conscripts from the 30s and similar population groups, they didn't have any 240 lb women so the straight line drawn through that population is horribly extrapolated to where some people are today.

240 lb = 140 lb with a 100 lb fat suit on, not an extra 100 lb of metabolic furnace pro rata with the Italian conscripts.

1386 ± 254 kcal/day for obese women in http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/37/4/595.full.pdf

During weight loss and calorie restriction the RMR reduces by several percent as well http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673689901335
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    YES - my bariatric surgeon tested my BMR and it is the lowest he's seen in a long time (I can't say I'm surprised).

I did lose a substantial amount of weight by eating around 1200 6 days/week (with mexican food as my cheat meal on Sunday that pushed me over), and ran 3+ miles/day. However, at my lowest weight, I got sick and ate more and exercised less and gained A LOT of weight back. After doing a lot of research, I'm gathering that this is because I didn't have as much muscle mass as I needed to keep burning what I was eating, without the cardio.

My advice to you is to do whatever you can to build muscle. Lift things around your house when you can if you don't have time to go to the gym, work in your garden, or do body weight exercises like squats, push ups, sit ups, etc. Hopefully this kicks your metabolism up, increases your BMR, and you burn more even just at rest.

Hope this helps!
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options
    I do think it's possible. You should follow the advice about tracking and double-check your methods. But if you feel that's all good, experiment with ~5-10% cal reductions until you find a number where you're averaging a healthy weekly loss.

Experimentation really is a catch-all. If you're not logging accurately, even after your best efforts, you're reducing the amount of calories you're *actually* eating, which will generate losses. If you really do have some slight variation that's outside the range of what the usual calculators have you at, then you'll have reduced intake into the range that's right for you, which will generate losses. The big key is to be consistent, and give it time to work. Don't go overboard and slash a ton at once. Just go little by little, and see what happens with a week or two to judge. The cool thing is that once you know your number, it should change in a predictable way as you lose fat. You won't be "guessing" anymore.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I wanted to go out and look at your food diary but it is private. Having spent a year trying to undo the damage to my body and metabolism that MANY years of Yo-Yo dieting have done I have faced many issues. Without looking at your Macros I can not give you specific advice, BUT I can give you some things to look at.

1. Lift Weights. Lifting weights (Heavy weights) are a great way to get the metabolism going and building lean body mass which also increases your metabolism

2. Look into HIIT Training. High Intensity Interval Training is also very good for metabolism and the continual change in intensity helps to get your body back on to a normal track.

3. Check your macros - Make sure you are eating enough protein (.8 - 1 gram per lb of lean body) and watch the Carbs (if you have medical issues such as early diabetis, or just a Carb Insenitify this can play wild with your hormones that control fat release.

4. Watch for food allergies that cause inflamation in the Body. (i.e. weigh in every day and if you see an increase in weight, look at your food sheet and look for high sodium. If you do not have high sodium did you eat something different? There is a chance you could have an allergic reaction to it)

5. If all else fails, add more exercase (whatever you can do) to create a greater deficit if you can not reduce your eating to create the deficit.

Good luck!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    As for "you're not measuring right" - again, I'll repeat. I am 240 lbs. Do we really think that if I track my steak salad as containing 4 oz instead of 3 oz of sirloin ... that THIS is the reason I haven't lost weight while cutting my intake in half last month?But also - I'm a data person, and I make my own food almost all of the time. The measurements are as correct as they can be. A 12 oz sirloin chopped into slices and divided equally onto 4 plates is ... 3 oz. I track every bite (though I missed a day when I was on a hiking trail out of cell phone reach).

Yes, it could be. Unless you're using a digital scale to measure that the steak was exactly 12 ounces, then cutting it in 4 portions and eating those 4 portions over the course of the following days all by yourself.

Otherwise you're just guesstimating. And 100 calories here, 50 calories there will add up and will result in the dreaded "you're eating more than you think."

I know you don't want to hear that. But it's just something to consider. Apologize if I missed it, but do you use a digital scale? If so, disregard my comment. :flowerforyou:
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I wanted to go out and look at your food diary but it is private. Having spent a year trying to undo the damage to my body and metabolism that MANY years of Yo-Yo dieting have done I have faced many issues. Without looking at your Macros I can not give you specific advice, BUT I can give you some things to look at.

1. Lift Weights. Lifting weights (Heavy weights) are a great way to get the metabolism going and building lean body mass which also increases your metabolism

2. Look into HIIT Training. High Intensity Interval Training is also very good for metabolism and the continual change in intensity helps to get your body back on to a normal track.

3. Check your macros - Make sure you are eating enough protein (.8 - 1 gram per lb of lean body) and watch the Carbs (if you have medical issues such as early diabetis, or just a Carb Insenitify this can play wild with your hormones that control fat release.

4. Watch for food allergies that cause inflamation in the Body. (i.e. weigh in every day and if you see an increase in weight, look at your food sheet and look for high sodium. If you do not have high sodium did you eat something different? There is a chance you could have an allergic reaction to it)

5. If all else fails, add more exercase (whatever you can do) to create a greater deficit if you can not reduce your eating to create the deficit.

Good luck!

Thanks - friending you so you can take a look. Although note that last week I was on vacation so there's all kinds of crappy food that I'm not generally eating - I had good days and bad days trying to navigate restaurant meals, and there's definitely a lot of guesswork. Back home and back on the wagon now :)
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Its hard to really help much without seeing your stats and diary, the only data you have available is a 7lb loss left to go? If you are close to your ideal weight, it becomes more and more difficult to lose those last pounds, your margin of error gets smaller and smaller and this may be the biggest issue. I would work on lifting weights, great for your health in any case, plus it will help to change your body composition, and maybe throw the balance towards weight loss.

You may want to re-consider dismissing people who go to the most likely answer first though. Its purely good logic to assume someone is not recording/measuring correctly, since when this is studied, everyone, including nutritionists, who's job it is to accurately track, have been found to under estimate! Many studies have shown this, and I find it even in myself (I have no reason to lie to myself, but I'm constantly finding myself forgetting a small portion of this or that later, who knows what I don't catch...). I myself should always lose faster according to my numbers, and if I never caught myself forgetting to log this or that, "low metabolism" would be an easy explanation for it, and the one I'd jump to if I didn't think I had any other possible errors. But I happen to know I accidentally forget things, since I am retrospective and re-check things for errors in my mind, I find I actually just eat more than I log. Sometimes in going what I ate for today, I remember a food and...oh wait...that was yesterday and ....nope, not in my diary! In fact, I may have a HIGHER than average metabolism if anything...

The important point is not to feel bad about possibly being wrong, just figure out what you can do to compensate for an error. Whether you want to call it "low metabolism" or "oops I screwed up logging again", it doesn't matter...if you compensate for it, you lose...so add some more exercise to the equation, walk up stairs more, add a few walks per week, etc and eventually you will balance out wherever your error is coming from. I purposefully decrease my calorie burns here and there when I exercise. This compensates for my errors nicely at times. Whether it be the same error every other person has, or maybe you are an extremely rare case who accurately logs everything and has a low metabolism, it doesn't matter, you know there *is* an error, so just compensate for the error!
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I really feel your pain because I can't seem to budge but I also am really close to my goal weight. If you don't want to miss family time then take family time to the pool or to the park and you can interval run for say 15 minutes? HIIT exercise are meant tto target zones for those that do not have time. There is no one on earth that has so little time for excercse-situp, pushups crunches then mix it up buy a timer and build up your stats. You sound to me to be more stocky than musckly so jump roping or turbo intervals out at the park can really boost your heart rate and a personal trainer/colleague has told us in class that your heart is the number one muscle to work to burn fat-if your rate rate isn't not up for a long enough times then your not doing much to lose weight...
  • Onderwoman
    Onderwoman Posts: 130
    Options
    I really feel your pain because I can't seem to budge but I also am really close to my goal weight. If you don't want to miss family time then take family time to the pool or to the park and you can interval run for say 15 minutes? HIIT exercise are meant tto target zones for those that do not have time. There is no one on earth that has so little time for excercse-situp, pushups crunches then mix it up buy a timer and build up your stats. You sound to me to be more stocky than musckly so jump roping or turbo intervals out at the park can really boost your heart rate and a personal trainer/colleague has told us in class that your heart is the number one muscle to work to burn fat-if your rate rate isn't not up for a long enough times then your not doing much to lose weight...

I know you will probably think I'm attacking you but I'm not: if your personal trainer told you you can't burn fat if your heart rate isn't high enough, and HIIT is "meant to target zones for those who do not have time", he's not a very good personal trainer, sorry :|:( Maybe that's why you aren't losing, bad advice from your trainer.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've put my numbers into several BMR calculators and come up with anywhere from 950-1120. At 59, 5'1" and 104 pounds, I clearly don't need too much to maintain. But with exercise and high general physical activity (I teach junior high), I have managed to stay the same weight for almost 2 years eating between 1400-1500 calories.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing your macros? That could help you stay satiated longer and fuel your body more effectively. Not sure what your diary looks like, but you can tweak your protein/fat/carb ratios and up the protein and/or fat a little. And make sure you're getting enough fiber--at least 25 grams/day. That can help with your hunger issues too.

As can staying hydrated. Sometimes thirst masquerades as hunger. I go through at least 3 32oz bottles/day. Two are green tea, one is a protein shake for my workouts.

My BMR/RMR are low, due to my hypothyroidism. I was tested before it went kaput and then did it again after, just for jollies. Not a shocker for me. I'm 5'3 and about 128 (now--I was about 200). I am extremely active and love working out. I also have a standing desk at work which helps my back immensely (it gets cranky). Any movement you can fit in would help. Walking stairs on a break, using a printer far from your desk or parking your car farther from your office. Tiny tweaks can make a difference. You could try a pedometer and challenge yourself to get some steps.

I do much better with a higher amount of protein. I make really careful choices about my foods (for the most part). I buy low carb/high protein/high fiber bread, I eat veggies and beans, eggs and egg whites. And protein powder. And dark chocolate (sweetened with stevia) and peanut butter. I'm not perfect, by any means, but my food choices work for me. It did take me a while to figure out.

Hang in there--you'll get it!
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi - looking to hear from anyone who knows that their BMR is substantially lower than it "should" be according to the numbers but has still had success.

I've been doing counting/tracking for 4 weeks with no success, basically losing and regaining the same 3 lbs over and over. So that means at my current level (eating 1400-1500 cal/day), I'm maintaining. I eat a good variety of healthy and nutritious foods (vegetables, limited fruit, lean meat, one egg per day, fat-and-sugar-free dairy), but have to choose very carefully in order to not get overwhelmed with hunger. I either have entire days of salad/stirfry or else basically eat very little all day if I know dinner is going to be big. As long as I'm at home (not travelling), I can maintain that. I think I could find an extra 200 calories/day to cut out (if I totally gave up alcohol, which I use as my 'treat' at the end of the day if I have calories left over). After that, it would be challenging to maintain long-term. I need a program I can live with, no matter what else is going on in my life.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully maintained a diet of 1200 cal OR LESS long-term, and anyone who KNOWS that their BMR is, say, 30% below the typical numbers reported here but has still lost weight and maintained the loss.

Not interested in hearing from anyone whose immediate assumption is that I'm not tracking everything I eat, or who will accuse me of lying. You're welcome to your opinions, and please keep them to yourself. My diary is open to friends so please feel free to introduce yourself, add me, and take a look.

Z

I sympathise. My BMR is allegedly 1,350. From trial and error, I'm maintaining around the1,200 (net) mark.

All the bumpf says an average woman needs 2,000 calories a day. No wonder I was fat before, I don't need that much. Even on exercise days, I can't eat 2,000 (gross).

Given how long I've been logging and weighing (both daily), I know what the sweet spot is. It's sadly very low for me.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I know you will probably think I'm attacking you but I'm not: if your personal trainer told you you can't burn fat if your heart rate isn't high enough, and HIIT is "meant to target zones for those who do not have time", he's not a very good personal trainer, sorry :|:( Maybe that's why you aren't losing, bad advice from your trainer.
    He (personal trainer) was the one who said the quote about the heart rate and he meant that its a good way to lose weight/ strengthen your heart which is a muscle which can aid in weight loss . I didn't mean to post it as a written in stone kind of thing… to be in your heart rate zone-i can't explain it is why it seems off. I was the one who suggest hiit but hiit is a very good way to lose weight or focus on areas when you have no time. Thank you for mentioning you weren't attacking me i can never tell when someoe isn't when they aren't obvious about being nice…but there is some truth to what I said and its the reason why suggested it. And OP sorry if you already tried HIIT but if your consisted then you should succeed just go to suzzannalight.com or bodyrockt.v. You do need to time your reps-to make sure your improving-w/improvemets comes weight loss/body change. People make it so complicated. Don't eat so much and workout is really the only way to lose weight. I mean healthy eating and enough physical exertion why does it get so hard (rhetorical)….Kids have high metabolism ( well these days some of them LOL-ACTUALLY KIND OF VERY SAD) but look at what they do too. They do have high energy and high metabolism but they also love to be active and love being outside and they don't focus on eating-parents have to sometimes force them almost to eat because playing seems more important…and well for the fat kids well they don't like to play outside but watch tv or play video games and eat all day-idk I may way out of line here and my advice seems lame but other than health reasons its not complicated and when you eat organic food or better foods and become more active whether its hiit or what have you then it wards of disease too its hand in hand