Deleted facebook a week ago

Options
Best thing I've done in a while. I am much more focused on my goals. I did not realize the negative people (and news) that effected my thoughts and progress. It's helped me refocus and get motivated without distractions. Anyone else had this experience?

Replies

• Fasttrack2freedom
    Fasttrack2freedom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Excellent work ! I don't do to much Facebook except for work. Love it here
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I hardly use it at all anymore for personal, I would delete it completely but I have a business page on there that I do need
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've deactivated mine (not burned my bridges yet). But I had a few people get in touch who were really upset, and asked me to set up a new one.

I don't look at it, though, it's purely there so people can get in touch.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I did not delete facebook...YET. However, I did challenge myself to stay off of it for a full year - that lasted about a month. I have decided to stop reading and listening to all news, worldwide.

It is amazing how much negative stuff is out there and people just sit and take it all in. I decided that I cant. I liked knowing what was happening, but after the plane crash in ukraine - i could not handle it anymore.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I've never had facebook!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've never had facebook!

Dont do it. EVER.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    no, love my FB, no negative people on mine, but I only friend people who are real-life friends.
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    Cant get rid of Facebook as it is the only way i can communicate with friends back home in SA but we recently moved and we made the decision not to get TV. Was the best decision ive ever made. Was by far my biggest destraction and now i can completely focus on my goals.
  • Chloverflower
    Chloverflower Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've never had a Facebook >-<
    most of my relatives do, haha from what my cousin showed me on hers, it's filled with some pretty heavy keyboard thugs and some trolls, but there are many good people on there too
    ^~^ personally I'm fine without it
    but isn't there problems in any social networking site?
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Facebook as fine as long as you stick to "your baby/pet/car is lovely!", "hooray I passed my driving test/exams/got married!", "the weather is terrible/fantastic!". I really like it as a way to stay in touch with people I don't actually want to talk to that often but like knowing what's going on in their lives but it's easy to see how it can suck people in to making comments that might come back to bite them in the bum at a later date.

Mainly I am very very glad facebook wasn't a thing when I was a teenager.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The thing you've got to remember with any free service is that you're the product, and that anything you post is there forever. You pay for it by being sold things, and allowing the data to be used to make decisions about you.

The thing that rings alarm bells with me is the fact that it's so difficult to leave!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I've never had facebook!

^This!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Personally I like FB. I don't spend hours upon hours on it. I keep in touch with my friends and family, I'm only friends with people I actually know, I hide the people that I can't unfriend without drama (so I don't see their ugly posts), things I want "private" I communicate in a message and not a post. Yes it is free, yes there is marketing tracking (myfitnesspal too), yes there is a potential for abuse. Be as careful as you can, keep track of purchases and check your credit accounts and bank accounts frequently (like everyday), change your passwords often.

If FB is a problem for you … sucked in with hours of FB … then by all means quit it. I, however, find it a great tool for contact with my friends. Really a little tired of all the gifs that float around rather than an actual post. But hey if you do that too much I hide you. Close to an election really tired of being slapped in the face by everyone's different political views, if you are offensive you get hidden (some of these people will get unhidden once election is over … depends on how much I was offended)

Again if FB is a problem for you, it is a problem, dump it. For me, however, it is a great and effective tool.
  • bossyfairy
    bossyfairy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my account about 2 months ago.

I found I was comparing my life to other people's successes / families / holidays / "Isnt my life brilliant!" / "I am so blessed!" and I was in touch with a load of people who I never saw and didnt keep in contact with other than the odd 'like' every now and again.

BUT...

the real issue was when there was a page set up that was racist and hailing a mass murderer a 'hero' and spouting a load of hate. I complained to Facebook about it to be told it didnt go against community standards!!!

It might not do, but it goes against the rules / morals / beliefs that I live my life by and I stood up to be counted and was told it didnt really matter.

So apparently praising someone for murdering innocent people because they are female / from a different country isnt against community standards.

I dont want to be a member of that community. Disgusting.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I still lurk on Facebook quite a bit. I am doing an experiment though. I am trying to not "like" anything on page to see if it changes my timeline (that's really hard by the way).

Here is the link to the article that gave me the idea!

https://medium.com/@schmutzie/i-quit-liking-things-on-facebook-for-two-weeks-heres-how-it-changed-my-view-of-humanity-29b5102abace
  • cherbear427
    Options
    I am 4 months FB free, and it was dificult at first because I felt like I was missing out on things with my family & friends I did not see often. The withdrawal stages I guess ;).
    However, I also realized I used it out of boredom, and there were many other ways to be productive with my time. I am more "actively involved" with my people, family, and friends. I focus more on the people I am with.. I am happy I deleted it now.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I deleted mine long ago. Never got into it and never will.
  • Adrasteis
    Adrasteis Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The only reason I still have a FB is because I live in Europe and I like to share my photos/experiences with my family back in Texas. I have realized the longer I am over here, however, that most people I have on my so called "friends" list could give a rats booty about me and I'm just another number on the friends list; even after I message them and am blatantly ignored (thanks "message seen"). I've contemplated removing everyone but my family and the two people who still reguarly write me on there and leaving the pages I've liked on there because I love seeing cats on my newsfeed.
  • 2kellymike
    2kellymike Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I check in on FB once every morning. My grown children often post pictures of their comings and goings and I like to see those. I am only friends with people I know. I hide people who only play games and I hide people who post political or religious things in an offensive manner. Everybody has an opinion, it's just rude to push it on others. I never "like" anything advertised. I add photos sometimes, usually of our dogs LOL. To each his or her own. :flowerforyou:
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I decided to go on a Facebook hiatus on Friday for several reasons, one of which was that I found myself framing every event in my life as to how I would phrase it in a status update. It was becoming too intrusive; I wasn't experiencing my life for myself but for how I would present it. Time for a little break. So far I haven't even checked in, but I *have* discovered that when you don't visit for a day or so, Facebook will send you an email telling you what you're missing. The fact that I never knew that service existed probably demonstrates my addiction better than anything. :embarassed: