Bitter sweet NSV

Options
So, I have to put my dog down today and I am an emotional wreck :brokenheart: . I went to DD to get a coffee. Normally, I would have gotten something sinful to "help ease the pain" I am feeling right now. Instead, I got my coffee and went home. I went downstairs and boxed with the WII for 30 minutes to get myself through the feeling of needing to eat. I am glad I chose exercise instead of food . It's the small things that will make a big difference. Now, if I can only keep this up during the next few days. It is going to be hard since I am an emotional eater. I am thankful for all of the supportive people here. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    Total sympathy on your dog loss!!...I went thru the same thing a couple years ago, it was so so hard. I honestly didn't know how I would get over it. But I did. It just takes a while, much like everything.

I admire your fortitude in not over indulging...Good job!

Hang in there!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you had to put your dog down. It's so hard! I had to put my dog down and then a cat the following month. Ouch. So sad. Dang pets become part of the family and makes it so hard to lose them. :(

Way to go sticking with your activity. You're making great strides not falling back into bad habits. :))))

Keep your head up!
  • sgreene87
    sgreene87 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    So sorry about the loss of your beloved pet. Sending you a little thought hug and hoping you will be surronded by real hugs today as well. Very proud of you for turning away from your old comfort habits, very inspiring!
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry about your dog :( Hugs to you!! Hang in there!!!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you saw through the pain and took a positive step in the right direction.

:flowerforyou:
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    My cocker spaniel is my child, as you can see by my profile. I understand your feeling and am sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is just like losing a family member. They can never be replaced.
    Although you say it seems like a small victory, it is a very big one. You have just started your lifestyle change, not your weight loss victory. Congratulations on a huge victory.
    Someday, you will find another dog to help fill the hole in your heart. My Gizmonster came after 2 years of searching to fill a hole that my 16 year old cocker spaniel left when he was hit by my neighbor. It wasn't easy, but now I can't imagine life without my little monster. MFP Hugs!
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that, I have been in your position. Just know that your grief will turn to love and fond memories with time.

And congratulations on making the healthy coping decision-- you'll be able to process your loss much better through sweat instead of sugar

hugs to you
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry about your dog - pets are indeed part of the family, and it's hard to lose them :brokenheart: My dad's dog had to be put down a few months ago and it was tough on all of us.

Very well done on not giving in to food - as my boyfriend said the other day, it's no big deal not to eat chocolate when you don't feel like it, the true achievement is when you really crave it but still manage to resist. So be very proud of yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • Awabanana
    Options
    I am very sorry for your loss. The death of any beloved family member is difficult, including that of a pet. Just know that because of your compassionate decision, your dog does not have to suffer any more. *Hugs*

http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss, I have gone thru this myself and it is hard, but you made the right, healthy decision by not going back to your old habits. Hang in there, you can do it! My mom always tells me, " This too shall Pass"...I know that annoys some, but hopefully you find comfort in it.

:)
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose your companion. Congratulations, though, for recognizing you want to eat because you're sad and working out instead. Great job, and I hope you pain eases soon.
  • TabbyJustice
    TabbyJustice Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The loss of pets can be really hard. I dread the day one of mine go.

But great job finding a good emotional release. Sometimes it's just so easy to sit on the couch and drown out sorrows with comfort, but then you feel even worse later! Boxing sounds so much fun as well, thanks for the inspiration!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your loss! {{{HUGS}}} The fact that you recognized the potential to emotionally eat and made other choices (regular coffee, boxing) is a huge step. Great job.
  • histex
    histex Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for all of your hugs, well wishes, prayers, and support. It has been such a tough day. It made me feel good to know that I made a good choice even in the time of stress. But most of all, thank you for all the support!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!