How'd you meet your significant other?

Options

Replies

• x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I met my fiance in college. My dad was part of this org in college, and to carry on the legacy, I decided to join it too. Well, the second real day of school, I was told "just wait until you meet him." Well, the first thing I say to him is, "So you the infamous Beard." He just kind of looks at me and replies, "Not sure how to take the infamous part, but yea, I'm Beard."
    The next week, I ask to borrow his laptop to check where the heck my next class is and see that his name is "Nathan" on his laptop screen. I ask him about it, which he curtly (and sorta harshly) says, "Don't call me that."
    The week continues and we banter and hello/goodbye hugs get a bit warmer... and well...
    On Monday, I'm panicking because I really have a thing for this guy and his overly sassy attitude. I'm telling my friends this and the typical high school question comes up, "Want me to talk to him for you?"
    I'm thinking, sure why not. I'm currently dating a really prick, so let's change it up for someone who has witty banter and makes me laugh instead of cry. As soon as I come back from class, no one had spoken to him yet about him and I possibly dating. He was playing a game called Magic and just getting royal screwed on cards. Well, I asked if he wanted a hug for good luck. He kissed me instead! So, being fresh out of high school and still fairly immature, I freaked out and got all excited. The rest is history. We are getting married this winter. :)
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The guy I'm seeing right now is a doll. We haven't made anything "official", but he is the only one I talk to and see. We met on POF. After some real interesting guys, I found one that is nice...so FAR LOL

play the field for a bit. The gym is always a fun way to meet people :) good luck hun!
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'll give the condensed version

We met in 8th Grade Gym Class, so we were roughly 13-years old at the time - we were friends up through Sophomore year in HS (so 15) when we "went out" for a Month post Homecoming, he told me one day "It's over" and I literally didn't see him again for 6+ years!

Though he said he always knew where I was and what I was doing, I was clueless to his activity/whereabouts

Then after a long relationship in college I signed up for AOL Love and he found my profile - sent me an email signed "Talk to You Later Angel" and I thought it was rather brass and deleted it.

About a week later I was online looking for work (this was right after graduation) and he found me online and sent me an IM, after some back & forth we figured out who each other was, made plans to meet up that night @ a local Pool Hall and as they say the rest is history

6 Weeks Later we moved in Together
    4 Months After That we Got Engaged
    8 Months Later We Got Married
    And here we are Still Happily Married after 13-Years, Two Kids, 5 Moves, More Animals than I can Count and Loving Life Together!
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Not me but my parents' story - they met at at the NCO club on base in Seoul, Korea. Dad asked her what she wanted to eat and she said "ham and cheese" - apparently that was the only phrase in English she knew. When the priest asked if she would take this man to be her husband, she responded "ham and cheese". Her English still sucks to this day. They were married 41 years before Dad died. I later saw pictures of my mom when she met my dad, she was wearing thigh high go-go boots, a micro-mini skirt, and made up like Adele. I get ticks involuntarily when I see those pictures - my mom is, well, my mom, not some smokin' hot babe.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Match.com

I wasn't "looking" for a husband, I just signed up with a friend as Match was running a New Year's free week trial. I knew I would marry him on our third date and only after knowing him about 2 weeks.

It can and does happen :-)
    6 year anniversary coming up!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    At work. Our department was moving from one building to another and he was in Facilities Maintenance at the time, in charge of the move. I had crossed paths with him previously, but he was married. At the time of our move, he was separated and in the process of getting divorced.

He would do all of these extra things for me during the move in the attempt to get my attention, but I wasn't interested in him in the slightest at that time.

That...was over 9 years ago.
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    We met when I was in prison. He was my Corrections Officer. It was love at first delousing.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There was a local "Ice Bucket Challenge" Extravaganza.

He soaked me wet. It was love.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Been with my fiancé for 5 and a half years, we met online over a shared love of art and photography. We were just friends for about a year, but he was in a miserable marriage and left her when he knew he had fallen for me. I felt the same as he did obviously, much to his joy, I'd had feelings for him for a while as we had loads in common and he really made me laugh (my weakness) and so we started seeing each other. It was great and we moved in together soon after; his divorce was a slow waiting game of paperwork but it came through and we got engaged soon after. We both feel loved and appreciated in ways that neither of us had before; it's amazing that of all the places in the world he could've been, he lived less than 3 hours away! :-)
  • kait_marie24
    kait_marie24 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Met him on OkCupid, three years ago :happy:
  • 10PercentSteps
    10PercentSteps Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    the summer before high school started... we met before football practice outside the field. We were inseparable in high school but we didn't start officially dating until 5 years ago.... just had our 5 year anniversary yesterday. :smile:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    We met when I was in prison. He was my Corrections Officer. It was love at first delousing.

I heard it has been pretty lice ever since ;)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I met my husband in college. So, I am thinking in places and activities of shared interest. I'm a dancer, so for me that would be going to see performances, dance classes and rehearsal practice, going swing or salsa dancing. That doesn't mean i would only meet dancers. There are also people that do tech, sound design, photography, multi-media, etc. You could also go online to find events that may be suitable. There is meet-up. You can join outdoor activity groups. Or socialization discussion groups.
  • ADRsmama
    ADRsmama Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Myspace when it was popular LOL
    We have been together for 5 years and married for 3 with a son. :)
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I met my wife at church when we in our teens.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    At a party four years ago

Wish I'd never gone
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    band audition \m/
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    At a bar.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    work
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As much as some people look down on it... I met him on here. Celebrated a year together earlier this month!! :)