Strenght Training at Home

Options
I want to start strength training at home. I have some basic equipment (hand weights, resistance bands) but I find it a bit overwhelming to create a total body workout for myself. Any suggestions of websites or apps that may help put a workout together.

Replies

• robert5891
    Options
    Hi Lou,

There are a multitude of home workout options available to you! What is your base level of fitness if you don't mind me asking so I can help steer you in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Robert
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love fitnessblender.com it has a lot of different routines you can choose from.
  • louwho34
    louwho34 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've done some strenght training in the past but mostly gym classes and its been awhile. Right now, all of my workouts are cardio so I am basically starting at the beginning again.
  • robert5891
    Options
    Hey Lou,

I can't highly recommend P90X and the Beachbody programs enough! I started the original P90X over 4 years ago and became instantly hooked. It completely shifted my outlook to fitness and nutrition. Since then, I've completed X2, and now finishing up my 2nd round of X3. I love the convenience of workout out at home and these are both a great mix of cardio and weight lifting! Send me a message if you're interested in these programs and I can go into more detail about them.

-Robert
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ive heard good reviews about You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG). I think there is an app or try google☺
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com
    You Are Your Own Gym
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning

Or you can look into other strength training programs that tend to use barbells and find alternative exercises that use dumbbells instead while still following the basics of the program.

Strong Curves
    Stronglifts 5x5
    AllPros
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength

Bodybuilding.com has a great database for exercises that you can search by equipment. They also have programs there you can try out (like from Jamie Eason)
  • meg2013jeffries
    Options
    Go look up Kayla Itsines.
    kaylaitsines.com.au

They are all workouts you can do from home & get amazing results!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com
    You Are Your Own Gym
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning

Or you can look into other strength training programs that tend to use barbells and find alternative exercises that use dumbbells instead while still following the basics of the program.

Strong Curves
    Stronglifts 5x5
    AllPros
    Starting Strength

Bodybuilding.com has a great database for exercises that you can search by equipment. They also have programs there you can try out (like from Jamie Eason)

Quoted for completeness and brilliance.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com
    You Are Your Own Gym
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning

Strong Curves
    Stronglifts 5x5
    AllPros
    Starting Strength

Quoted for completeness and brilliance.

Samesies. :flowerforyou:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Hey Lou,

I can't highly recommend P90X and the Beachbody programs enough! I started the original P90X over 4 years ago and became instantly hooked. It completely shifted my outlook to fitness and nutrition. Since then, I've completed X2, and now finishing up my 2nd round of X3. I love the convenience of workout out at home and these are both a great mix of cardio and weight lifting! Send me a message if you're interested in these programs and I can go into more detail about them.

-Robert

Hey Robert, I hope you're not a BB "coach", because you would violating a whole lot of rules around here for solicitation.

OP: All the sites you've been given are awesome, but I also like startbodyweight.com. Best of luck!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hey Lou,

-Robert

Hey Robert, I hope you're not a BB "coach", because you would violating a whole lot of rules around here for solicitation.

OP: All the sites you've been given are awesome, but I also like startbodyweight.com. Best of luck!

He is a coach. Big surprise, right?

To the OP and to any lurkers:

Sales and advertisements aren't allowed on the forums. They are also not allowed in private messages. If you are getting this, please be sure to report to a mod :) Also note that beachbody coaches are supposed to identify themselves as well, and not doing so can also be reported to beachbody. :flowerforyou:
  • levicrouch
    Options
    Scooby has some workout plans as well that you can do from home with minimal equipment.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    If you get some more equipment you can do virtually any type of workout at home. And it cost way less than you think if you buy everything on Craiglist. I have trained at home for most of the last 6 years or so. I paid about 10 cents on the dollar for what my stuff would cost new. I probably paid $300 tops for everything and I've got everything needed.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I love fitnessblender.com it has a lot of different routines you can choose from.

THANKS
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you get some more equipment you can do virtually any type of workout at home. And it cost way less than you think if you buy everything on Craiglist. I have trained at home for most of the last 6 years or so. I paid about 10 cents on the dollar for what my stuff would cost new. I probably paid $300 tops for everything and I've got everything needed.

Me too. Just wait for the opportune time for people to move or get sick of their equipment. Love Craiglist for that stuff ! IF you are Not in a rush, eventually everybody sells something :)
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There's bodyrock (they have a 30 day challenge plus you can sub a lot of the stuff), litealloy.com, mellisaioja ioja (pretty intense, something to look at), loving fit (she's really big on proper form), Christine salunes...I cannot spell her last name, blogilates, fitness blender, Nike app, cyclone fitness on YouTube (could be wrong on that one).
    With that said, there's a ton of free workouts online. Eventually you'll find what you love and start coming up with your own workouts to do at home. The fun part is being creative about it.