Working out on an empty stomach?

Options
I heard working out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning burns more calories and fat. Is this true? What are the benefits of doing this?

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason why that would be true. I would be utterly miserable and pretty low on energy if I didn't have a little something before the gym in the morning.
  • robert5891
    Options
    Vanessa,

that is an old myth that has been proven false...all it does is utilize stored energy in your body as opposed to whatever quick digesting carbs you may typically ingest in a pre-workout meal.
  • KaceeGetsFit
    KaceeGetsFit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else! I don't see why it would be true. I also can't get a good workout in if I don't have at least a little something for energy before.
  • shapelyJ
    shapelyJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There are actually several benefits of working out on an empty stomach. When you've fasted for a while your bodys energy supply will be depleted and in order to produce the energy needed for a workout the body will dip into the stored supply i.e the fat.

I always try to get my cardio done before breakfast, then fuel up afterward.

For more info there are several articles on pre-meal workouts and also some scientific papers written on the subject>

http://greatist.com/fitness/why-you-should-exercise-on-an-empty-stomach

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-active-times/shocking-benefits-of-exer_b_5207788.html
  • shapelyJ
    shapelyJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Although this is a method that I have found works great for me, I'm sure it's not for everyone!
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Find out what works for you - for me I do work out first thing in a morning on an empty stomach, but more because I have slow digestion and I refuse to spend the hour workout wanting to vomit it all back up.

Although to be honest, I have felt like it's been beneficial to my weight loss, although that could all be in my head.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    The MFP blog just posted about this!

blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/08/does-fasted-cardio-really-burn-more-fat/
  • Jennilyn79
    Jennilyn79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Newer research has shown that's wrong. I'll admit when you first do it, it's hard because you're not used to it but it's all I do now and very easy to do. It only took me 2 days to get used to it. There's some great information on intermittent fasting out there which is basically what you're doing. I've found this to be the easiest and most effective way I've lost weight and especially body fat. Check out this link, it includes info about working out while fasted http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Some people have success with it, some don't. Personally I loved getting up and running on an empty stomach. After 2-3 runs I got used to it and then far preferred running that way. Give it a try and see how you feel. If its not for you, then try something different.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I try to run before breakfast, unless I'm running more than 10k. When I run more than 10k, I make sure I get a good breakfast in, carbs and protein, an hour or two beforehand so that I have some additional energy for all the endurance work.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I work out on an empty stomach every morning. That is what works for me and may or may not work for others. I don't know, or really care, if it burns more or less calories.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I do not eat before I work out in the morning for two reasons: One, I get those stomach cramps very easily so I'd have to wait at least an hour after eating before doing anything slightly vigorous and I don't have that kind of time. Two, I like just getting it over with for the day. In general, I prefer working out in the morning because I feel like it snaps me awake more than any caffeine could ever do.

As far as weight loss goes, I have also worked out in the evenings (after I've eaten breakfast and lunch) and I haven't noticed a difference in my weight loss between the two times.
  • rainbow1974
    rainbow1974 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If I didn't do my work out as soon as I got up, I don't think I would get it done at all!! I tend to have my breakfast afterwards
  • MissDetermined335
    MissDetermined335 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tried this- and my body felt really quite weak compared to when i eat a small bowel of cereal before i workout. However, i have found that It does also depend on how your body feels that day. Some mornings all i need is literally a few mouth fulls of milk and i can go and do a 1.5 hour workout for example.

I wouldn't recommend training on an empty stomach though generally if it makes you feel bad- as longs as you don't eat to much before you train, and it's healthy, your body will only benefit. Who wants to work out feeling weak and light headed?

If you're body copes fine training on no food, then go for it. It's all about you personally learning to read your own body- we're not all the same.
  • MissDetermined335
    MissDetermined335 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Suggestion also: Try using a heart rate monitor that shows your calories burned- do exactly the same workout two days in a row, the only variable to change would be do one after eating food before, and the other workout without food. Compare to see the difference! Post the results here. That would be interesting.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You have really got to experiment to find what works. On weekdays I swim 2km on a completely empty stomach (not even a drink) and I am perfectly fine. On Saturdays, I have a cup of tea first and find no difference in performance.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I get side stitches if I eat before I run. After over a year of working out at 5am without eating beforehand I've grown used to it. I don't think it's any better or worse than the other way round, just what works for me. Also I don't like things sloshing around in my stomach when I'm working out...just the other day I took 2 drinks of water before starting my warmup and I was sloshing like crazy during my jumping jacks. Hard to do those when you're giggling.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before I exercise anyway; my stomach hurts if I run, and feels really bloated and like I'm not making any progress with other exercise.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    When I exercise in the early morning I often will have a cup of coffee or tea and then exercise. I do not exercise without eating for any possible benefit. I do it so that I can get my exercise done and move on with my day. Also in the early morning I find that I am just not hungry. After exercise and a shower I am ready for breakfast.