working out at eve and then eating back calories

LernRach
LernRach Posts: 286 Member
I'm currently on 1200 (drs orders) and I burn 600-700 a workout. However, I go to the gym in the eve and I don't want to eat back my calories prior to burning them, so I end up not eating them back...

What do you do? I can't be the only one....

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    If i understand the below correctly you are eating 500/600 calories a day?
    Reaslistically you should eat back during the day between before and after (you need to fuel your work out to perform and recover).
    What's your rational behind it?
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Eat them the next day. If daily is too difficult, work with a weekly goal.
  • LernRach
    Reaslistically you should eat back during the day between before and after (you need to fuel your work out to perform and recover).

There is no rationale - as in, my Dr has advised me to eat 1200, medical issues, medication etc.

I exercise most evenings, as that is only time in my day when I can fit it in. I don't want to eat it back before as I am nervous that if I don't get to the gym that evening because plans change, I will have over eaten. however, at 9:30 in the evening I don't really want to eat a 400ish calorie snack.....
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    So eat a bigger breakfast the next day - think about netting 1200 cals in a 24hr period. That period could be 9am to 9am it doens't have to be midnight to midnight.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member

There is no rationale - as in, my Dr has advised me to eat 1200, medical issues, medication etc.

I exercise most evenings, as that is only time in my day when I can fit it in. I don't want to eat it back before as I am nervous that if I don't get to the gym that evening because plans change, I will have over eaten. however, at 9:30 in the evening I don't really want to eat a 400ish calorie snack.....

Your body is smart - but it can't tell time. Why not look at your weekly numbers? Eat some of the calories the next day. Just keep your weekly numbers where they need to be.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Why not ask your doctor, instead of asking randoms on MFP forums?
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Maybe look at your calorie goal as a weekly total? Then you can adjust for things like this as your week goes on.
  • LernRach
    Why not ask your doctor, instead of asking randoms on MFP forums?

You are 100% correct... except the dr that put me on this diet is away for another 2 weeks... also, a lot of people on here know a lot more then a regular GP. Either way, I cannot/dont want to exist on net 600 calories and was merely asking for advice as to how to eat back.

Thank you to those people giving advice, I will eat back the next day, within reason and hopefully that will help
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    why can't you eat after you workout again????

I work out in the evenings- many nights I leave work- go to the gym- then I go to my dance studio and dance- I don't get home till 10+ at night- I eat then.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Do the TDEE method. Average your exercise calories throughout the week and just eat 100-200 more calories a day. (or 350 if you really burn 600 calories 4x a week).
  • donnabullen
    donnabullen Posts: 47 Member
    I to burn off around 600 calories in the gym most days but don't always eat them back, i eat well throughout the day but knowing the extra calories are there if I want them so if I get peckish I eat a healthy snack.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    If I know I'm going to work out in the evening, I factor that into my food choices earlier in the day. Sometimes not perfectly--sometimes I'll be on the fence about how far I'm really going to run and then if I do get the longer workout in I'm not hungry especially (running in the evening kills my appetite), and if so I won't worry too much about it and give myself more latitude the next day if I'm hungry.

But if it's a regular pattern, start working the calories in.
  • LernRach

I don't eat because I don't feel hungry and I go to bed not that long after, so don't have time to get appetite back.

@Franci27 - I wear an HRM and as originally stated, when I do eat back, its only half just in case....
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    I think TDEE may serve you well. I was having issues 'eating back' with nighttime workouts, so switching to TDEE made me comfortable eating a larger lunch and seeing my eating as a weekly number, vs trying to eat everything back in one day.
  • JoRocka

I don't eat because I don't feel hungry and I go to bed not that long after, so don't have time to get appetite back.

@Franci27 - I wear an HRM and as originally stated, when I do eat back, its only half just in case....

eat anyway- drink a glass of milk- high calories and easy to go down. And unless it gives you issues with your sleeping habits- then there is no reason you cannot eat.

its' not that serious- I eat my dinner in bed sometimes- set the bowl down and go to bed.

But try the TDEE method if you aren't willing to eat at night.
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    My doctor has me on a 1500 calorie diet. I specifically asked her about how to manage my calories if I burn 500 to 600 working out and she said that she does not believe in that method. She advised me not to eat back calories that I've burned.
  • JoRocka
    My doctor has me on a 1500 calorie diet. I specifically asked her about how to manage my calories if I burn 500 to 600 working out and she said that she does not believe in that method. She advised me not to eat back calories that I've burned.

so you're netting around 1000?

time for a new doctor.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    How do you feel? Are you overly tired, lethargic, weak? Do you need to eat more?

I ask because I was also on a doctor ordered 1200 diet and did not eat back my exercise calories unless I wasn't feeling well. Then I'd just average my calories out for the week. I ate perfectly healthy on 1200 but if I ever felt week or extra hungry after a good work out I'd eat more.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    how about a smoothie of some sort after working out?

i know you dont feel hungry, but drinking something might be trick the mind?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    If you know you're going to do a workout, and you know approximately how many calories you're going to burn, why not eat them back throughout the day?