sodium

Options
does anyone check there soduium levels on a daily basis to me would watching this keep the water retention down? Should I try and stay as low as possible under this number I mean to use the reccommended amount is alot. I was looking at making some homeade chicken noodle soup but by the time I add the soup broth the sodium levels are so high. What is everyones take on this?

Replies

• praire
    praire Posts: 73
    Options
    does anyone check there soduium levels on a daily basis to me would watching this keep the water retention down? Should I try and stay as low as possible under this number I mean to use the reccommended amount is alot. I was looking at making some homeade chicken noodle soup but by the time I add the soup broth the sodium levels are so high. What is everyones take on this?
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Sodium was a real eye opener for me. I gave up a lot of stuff I liked after I started tracking it. But after a couple of weeks, it was clear that anything pre-prepared (such as chicken broth) was going to have craploads of salt. One would have to eat only home prepared foods to control it. I try to do that and easily stay under. But any time I eat pre-prepared food, it generally spikes way over.

I stopped tracking after I realized that. If I don't home-prepare, I'm probably going to spike. Results from a few weeks were consistant, so that is all I needed to know on a day to day basis. I don't bother tracking it any more, but I do pay attention and avoid the pre-prepared foods.

Pretty scary, though isn't it? I used to eat these frozen dinners that had 110% daily recommended value for sodium. One meal = 110%. *shudder* Your average can of soup has about 30% DV. That should really be illegal. If people sue cigarette companies for related health issues, why can't everyone with high blood preasure sue the food companies??
  • praire
    praire Posts: 73
    Options
    So when you make homeade soups you do not buy the chicken broth in a box or can you just use water and a powder base then? I always buy the campbells chicken broth or beef broth but wow like you said what an eye opener no wonder i retained so much fluid, becasue soup is my all time favorite. Before when we would go out to a restaurant the first thing i would have is a bowl of soup before my meal now i realize what i was doing to myself crazy once you become real with what you are putting in your body. The calories are not bad in a bowl of chicken noodle or beef soup but it is everything else.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    'Fraid I can't advise you on making soups :) Maybe the powdered broth bases are better. Would have to check the label, I guess. Or start buying chickens and start boiling. :smile:
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    What is the maximum mg of sodium a person should consume in a day?
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    How Much Sodium is Recommended?
    Recommended intake of sodium is 1000-3000 mg/day. This replaces your normal daily loss of sodium. You can meet this recommendation by eating a healthy, nutritionally well-balanced diet. In fact, just one teaspoon of salt (including sodium found naturally in food or added during preparation) is enough to meet this requirement.