Weighing in more after lifting session

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
Yesterday I had a pretty good 45 minute lifting session at the gym, and did light cardio (22 mins of walking at 3.0 pace on the treadmill with a 5.5 incline)

I stayed well below my calorie range (I just was not that hungry yesterday) and I weighed in at 285 saturday morning and this morning I weiged inn at 288. I am assuming any weight loss progress wont show until my official weigh in this coming Saturday morning after my Friday rest day.

I do take my random scale checks with a grain of salt but still slightly messes with you when your goal is to lose pounds. So far I have been dropping weight each week so I hope it continues that way even though some days I weigh heavier after a good lift sesh. Thoughts?

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself at random times you're more than likely to get random weight readouts. How clothes fit or tape measurements are probably a more reliable measure than the scale.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I do take my random scale checks with a grain of salt but still slightly messes with you when your goal is to lose pounds.
    Stop weighing all the time. Weigh yourself once a week and move on.
  • ByronJP
    ByronJP Posts: 67
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat? I have found I can weigh the same as a very heavy set person but I do not look nearly the same because of the weight training I do. Just my input.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    3 pounds over night?

go drop a deuce and clear your bladder.

3 pounds? That's the weight of three pints of water. (or beer)

That's trivial to take in.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat? I have found I can weigh the same as a very heavy set person but I do not look nearly the same because of the weight training I do. Just my input.

Last night I was breaking down a lamb's leg. For no reason whatsoever, I cut a 6 ounce piece of meat, checked it on two scales. 6 ounces.

6 ounce pile of fat on two scales, weighed 6 ounces.

Put them together on the scale, 12 ounces.
    6 ounces of muscle weighs as much as 6 ounces of fat, alone and in aggregate.
  • mhlew
    Options
    3 pounds over night?

My weight can easily fluctuate 2-3 lbs. I consider my true weight what ever I weigh in on Saturday mornings after my friday 'rest day"
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    3 pounds over night?

My weight can easily fluctuate 2-3 lbs. I consider my true weight what ever I weigh in on Saturday mornings after my friday 'rest day"

So, what are you asking then?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's very normal to weigh slightly more after lifting, especially if you're either new to lifting or if you've changed/increased your program, because water retention is a thing.
  • mhlew
    Options
    3 pounds over night?

So, what are you asking then?

Just reassurance and see what other people experience. This is a support group site, ya??
  • thefighter42
    Options
    Tthe more muscle you have the more calories you burn. The more fat you have the less calories you burn. That simple.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Then yes, fluctuations are normal, post workout increases are also normal, your on track keep up the good work

personally I increase about 2 lbs when I eat too much, I don't really notice it form workouts unless I have completely changed my routine, but thats just me

be glad you dont have a uterus to make it even more confusing for you :)
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yep, happens to me pretty often. You're just swole, brah. No worries, lifting weights doesn't make you fluffy. :wink:

Stick to just looking at your weekly weigh-in to keep yourself in-check...but mainly, realize that you aren't doing this to make your scale happy, so don't give it so much of your time. Focus on whatever it is you *are* doing this for. To look better? Check yourself out in the mirror, what's going on? To be able to lift more weight, run faster...whatever it is, track that and put your focus there instead.
  • kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Last night I was breaking down a lamb's leg. For no reason whatsoever, I cut a 6 ounce piece of meat, checked it on two scales. 6 ounces.

Guess he could have avoided your smarty pants remark if he had used density and volume instead. People really just love to show their witticism ...
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    It's very normal to weigh slightly more after lifting, especially if you're either new to lifting or if you've changed/increased your program, because water retention is a thing.

After you lift your muscels are repairing themselves as you just basically tore them apart lifting to make them grow stronger. As they repair, they will retain water and are swollen.... This is laymans terms but you get the idea.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

It's pretty well understood that whenever anyone says "muscle weighs more than fat" they mean by volume. Obsessing over terminology to the point where you punish people who fail to include that little asterisk does one thing and one thing only: That you have nothing worthwhile to contribute to a forum for people asking for advice and need to GTFO.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

It's pretty well understood that whenever anyone says "muscle weighs more than fat" they mean by volume. Obsessing over terminology to the point where you punish people who fail to include that little asterisk does one thing and one thing only: That you have nothing worthwhile to contribute to a forum for people asking for advice and need to GTFO.

Heh, heh, heh..... :wink: