Hurting myself?

Options
Background:

I'm 5'6", started at 378 pounds, currently at 338. I've been tracking food and going to the gym for about 2 1/2 months now. The gym is through my work and has certified personal trainers who I have been working with.

One of the trainers went out with complications during her pregnancy and we have a "substitute" who is also certified.

Today was my first experience with the sub and she got very invested with my progress and felt that I am hurting myself.

My current calories goal per MFP is just over 2300. On average I eat between 1400 and 1800. There are days that are more (Sunday was a birthday celebration for a family member so I was close to the 2300) and days that are less (I wasn't very hungry yesterday so it was closer to 1300).

The trainer this morning was trying to get to know me and my file this morning. When she found out that on average I am eating "so little" (LOL) she told me I NEED to eat more, or else my metabolism will slow drastically. The decrease in calories is because I eat less junk, I eat more healthy foods, and I quit drinking soda. I rarely drink my calories and when I do it's 2% milk or fruit juice (I drink some diet green tea for the benefits, but that has no calories). She told me I need to eat within 200-300 calories of my daily goal.

So my question, is she right? I have lost a lot of weight quickly, but it's because I've gone from crazy crap and drinking primarily soda to eating some crap, some healthy stuff, and drinking water, plus adding in some exercise. I do not go hungry, I don't feel worn out, I feel better physically than I have since I was a teenager.

Replies

• FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    Options
    I wouldn't say you were hurting yourself. I mean you're a large woman but it doesn't mean you gotta eat like one. I'm not an expert by any means and if you want expert advice don't ask a trainer...as a nutritionist who is certified with a phd.

I eat around 1700 calories myself and I'm 5'3 and weigh 135lbs. I burn about 600 a day so it averages out to be 1100-1200. I've been loosing weight and feel really good. How much calories are you burning? You don't want your net to be under 1200.
  • luvforever
    luvforever Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've had my net be under 1200 maybe 3 times in the 2 1/2 months. Never in back to back days.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Having 'too large" of a calorie deficit is a real thing. It can lead to muscle loss, low energy, poor health, and mostly poor adherence to your plan. However obese individuals can handle larger calorie deficits than those who say have 20lbs to lose. Additionally trainers are not usually certified in nutrition.

Do you think you are getting adequate nutrition with your current calorie intake (fat, protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc)? Do you feel you can maintain this level of calories for say a year or two? Would you be happier, more satisfied, more willing to stay with it if you ate slightly more?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers are certified to tell you how to workout.
    They aren't nutritionists.

You aren't in danger.

Carry on, and smile and nod when the trainer gives you nutrition advice.
  • luvforever
    luvforever Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Having 'too large" of a calorie deficit is a real thing. It can lead to muscle loss, low energy, poor health, and mostly poor adherence to your plan. However obese individuals can handle larger calorie deficits than those who say have 20lbs to lose. Additionally trainers are not usually certified in nutrition.

Do you think you are getting adequate nutrition with your current calorie intake (fat, protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc)? Do you feel you can maintain this level of calories for say a year or two? Would you be happier, more satisfied, more willing to stay with it if you ate slightly more?

I feel great, honestly. I eat plenty. I snack throughout the day, but it's mostly healthier snacks. It's yogurt, fruit, some veggies. There is junk, but it's less often and more controlled. I do NOT go hungry. I can't imagine it being an issue to stick with because I actually enjoy what I eat, I haven't given anything up, and I feel fantastic. I'm doing pretty good at getting a decent variety as well.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Take a gander of the 30 day report every so often and double check your net average is where you want it roughly.. that's usually enough to keep my on track.

Really if you are averaging 1800- you aren't in any real danger. That's a very reasonable number- could you eat more and still lose weight? sure but if 1800 is enough to keep you full - then I wouldn't sweat it.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options

I feel great, honestly. I eat plenty. I snack throughout the day, but it's mostly healthier snacks. It's yogurt, fruit, some veggies. There is junk, but it's less often and more controlled. I do NOT go hungry. I can't imagine it being an issue to stick with because I actually enjoy what I eat, I haven't given anything up, and I feel fantastic. I'm doing pretty good at getting a decent variety as well.

Then it sounds like you are doing what's right for you :)