working out at eve and then eating back calories

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ETA: re: net calories & not getting enough nutrients
    In the last 30 days, according to MFP, my net calories have been below 1000 15 days, 1000-1500 9 days, and 1500-2000 6 days.
    My actual calories have been right around 1650, except for 6 days when they were higher (usually around 2000).
    My doctor is completely satisfied with my progress, my bloodwork is fine, I feel fine, etc.
    I've lost 10 lb in the last month, 20 lb in the last 3 months.
    Ignore net calories.

It's silly to say ignore net calories, as if it weren't completely dependent on the plan.

Apparently your doctor prefers a method more like the TDEE method (although with a somewhat wacky method of determining calories that wouldn't work for lots of people, although it seems to work fine for you). My guess (giving the doctor some credit) is that this proposed plan would vary depending on the patient. If working with someone who has a higher TDEE and does a lot of hard cardio on a regular basis, that would be built into the plan.

As it is, it sounds like your calories balance out and are probably around a net 1200, which seems to be a doctor favorite (although if your doctor is right it's really a higher net, because of overestimating burn and underestimating calories--this is my personal theory for why doctors so often go lower than necessary, that they don't trust their patients' compliance). Again I expect (and hope) that your doctor had an understanding of your average exercise when making this recommendation, and it seems to be working.

OP's doctor put her on 1200, however (not 1650, like you are eating), thus to say, as if it were some hard and fast rule independent of actual deficit or calories eaten, that one should never eat back calories seems to me irresponsible.

Whether one eats back calories depends on how the deficit is created. If you build it out of exercise and calorie cutting, or if you simply don't think it's going to be that significant, no need to eat it back. If you build it ONLY out of calorie cutting and then add significant exercise on top, you screw it up without changing the calorie cutting part of it. It's just logical.
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me on a 1500 calorie diet. I specifically asked her about how to manage my calories if I burn 500 to 600 working out and she said that she does not believe in that method. She advised me not to eat back calories that I've burned.

Do you see how your doctor and the OP's doctor might have different plans?

For example, if you normally work out 500 calories/day (let's say, for the sake of discussion), and your TDEE is 2000, then you are cutting 500 through a cut in calories and another 500 by increasing activity that much, for a projected deficit of 1000 or 2 lb/week loss. (If you actually hit that number every day, of course.)

OP has been told to eat 1200 and eat back her workout calories. She apparently does about 350/day in exercise on average. Let's say her TDEE is 2200. If that were so, she also would be at a deficit of 1000, or 2 lbs per week, and not eating back would not only mean that she was netting quite a bit less than even you (again, assuming those high exercise calories every day) but would have a significantly higher deficit (1350).

It's really not so complicated to see that "eating back" or not is essentially the same thing as long as you end up with the same deficit. Whether it's right or not all depends on the method used.

Yes, of course I see that we are on different plans. I was just offering my experience up as part of a discussion.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When I first came here to MFP, I was following a program suggested by my health insurance plan which suggested 1200 calories a day. I logged my food, and I logged my exercise. I was logging 400-500 calorie workouts and I was eating 1200 calories a day. The program did NOT allow for eating back the calories at all. I dropped weight fast, but was tired and groggy. I came here, I set my calories according to TEE - 20% and I eat back about half of my calories throughout the day when I am going to work out. I set my macros and eat inside my macros. In my case, the plan that my medical insurance recommended for me helped me to lose weight but I really don't think it was the healthiest way for me to lose weight.

Now after a workout I drink protein whey and eat a little something even if I don't have much of an appetite. I make sure to drink plenty of water, too, following a work out. For me, I believe that TEE - 20% and staying within my macros is the best and healthiest way to go. It might not be the fastest, but it feels like the healthiest way for me to lose weight.

I pre-log my food and I pre-log my workouts. It works for me. If I change my exercise, I correct what I logged.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course I see that we are on different plans. I was just offering my experience up as part of a discussion.

Okay. ;-) I'm sorry if I misread it.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Ok, ok ok... before we starting putting down drs, and assuming they know nothing.... (which wasn't the point of the discussion anyway!!) I am on steroids for an auto-immune condition, as well as having PCOS, meaning weight loss is almost impossible, if not very very challenging. He gave this number, said I should try it for a month, if I don't lose go down to 1100. It wasn't him being irrational or irresponsible, just that he knew that I had tried all the weight loss programs out there, followed them very carefully and still wasn't losing. It had to be something drastic or i wouldn't lose (5 7, 186lbs...)

Either way, this conversation is all defunct on my part as I tripped last night, sprained my ankle very badly, so exercise is going to be out of the question for quite a while. (Although will continue with weight lifting, sitting down hopefully, but that isn't much of a burn I don't think)

Thanks for your opinions and advice..
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My way of dealing with this given that I don't like eating late at night after the gym/run/class etc is to have my normal meal prior to exercising, and then when I come home, I have a smoothie with milk, banana and greek yoghurt. Takes a few minutes to make, a few minutes to drink and then I know that I've had something proper following my workout and also that I've eaten back some of my calories that I've burned, but I haven't forced down an extra meal just because I've excersised.

Sometimes, though, I'm just not hungry, so I skip it.

I think you have to find what works for you, around the medical advice you have been given. Good luck.