Too "heavy" to work out... Any tips??

Options

Replies

• hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    try swimming! or yoga! just go at your own pace, it's great you have the motivation because lots of people don't!! Use it!! :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of yoga. It helps with overall well being. It also teaches you to be mindful of your body.
    Take care of your joints.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    1. Park further away at the store, bank, restaurant and so on.
    2. No more drive thru's you want it go inside and get it.
    3. You have a gym membership, you go there so use it to do the recumbent bike and take a book with you, read the book and pedal don't think about it just pedal and read.

These are 3 simple steps that will get you started, where you go from there is all up to you.
  • MomforNoah
    Options
    My poor sister has horrible knees. She can't even walk for exercise. She can swim :)
  • ByronJP
    ByronJP Posts: 67
    Options
    walk

or the pool.

you can do it.

stay on your calorie deficit though for sure. Good combination of diet awareness and walking will take you far.

Totally agree walking and swimming are easy to do and low impact and the perfect way to start getting your muscles strengthened up and some limberness in your joints. Also diet can make or break you.
  • melindabrock
    melindabrock Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    the elliptical use to be the only thing I could do at the gym. I walk on the treadmill now but for some reason my shins kill me or that's what I think it is so I prefer the elliptical or walking down my road.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Haven't read thru all the responses....sorry if this has been mentioned

Wii Walk It Out is a fun fitness game for beginners. You "earn" points by taking steps (marching in place) to the beat of the music.....you build an island with your points. You build up your music "library" with points also (over 100 songs). Some songs are fast, some are slower. There are settings to remove songs that are too fast (or too slow). This is good mindless exercise. Great for when it's too dark outside or too cold, etc.
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Haven't read thru all the responses....sorry if this has been mentioned

Wii Walk It Out is a fun fitness game for beginners. You "earn" points by taking steps (marching in place) to the beat of the music.....you build an island with your points. You build up your music "library" with points also (over 100 songs). Some songs are fast, some are slower. There are settings to remove songs that are too fast (or too slow). This is good mindless exercise. Great for when it's too dark outside or too cold, etc.

Nice, I have a Wii, I'll check that out, thanks!
  • likewhoa712
    Options
    the elliptical use to be the only thing I could do at the gym. I walk on the treadmill now but for some reason my shins kill me or that's what I think it is so I prefer the elliptical or walking down my road.

I think I may try the elliptical next week... Even if I can only do it for 5 mins, I'd like to try :)
  • LesleyLawson77
    LesleyLawson77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    2 things; 1, make it fun, and 2 modify it. So when I started I got a zumba gold dvd and did it at home. Gold is pretty much for older people, but since I really needed low impact it was great. The dancing was fun, I could do it at home, and I could pause/restart whenever I needed a break. Once I got that down I started going to Zumba at my gym, sometimes I couldn't keep up with the instructor, so I would just modify. If she did a jump, I'd just kinda bounce on my toes, sometimes if she did some rapid steps, I'd just march. Now, I can keep up almost all the time, and if I can't, I just modify! Also, try not to feel so self aware at the gym, you'd be surprised how positive and supportive most of the people at the gym are.
  • lsiberian
    Options
    I only know what works for me. I am not as heavy as you, but I'm still a very big guy and I do strength training with a personal trainer(to keep me safe and accountable) You definitely can do that type of workout IMO. You might start with a the bar, but we all start somewhere.

Nice thing about strength training is your excess weight is just added resistance for squats and really not an issue for any other exercise. I bet you already have a lot of natural strength so you might even be able to compete after a couple years.

At the end of the day keep trying things until something sticks.
  • likewhoa712
    Options
    I only know what works for me. I am not as heavy as you, but I'm still a very big guy and I do strength training with a personal trainer(to keep me safe and accountable) You definitely can do that type of workout IMO. You might start with a the bar, but we all start somewhere.

Nice thing about strength training is your excess weight is just added resistance for squats and really not an issue for any other exercise. I bet you already have a lot of natural strength so you might even be able to compete after a couple years.

At the end of the day keep trying things until something sticks.

Would the strength training include the machines(minus the cardio ones) at the gym or is that just actually lifting weights? I can't quite do squats yet due to my knee but I can do the leg machines...
  • debbie7373
    debbie7373 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Bump to look on a website later that someone suggested. Thanks!
  • wagglesworth
    wagglesworth Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You Tube has some great chair exercises . www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPJKAG0mknI I tried a few this morning and enjoyed it. I'm planning to do this when I return home. I'll try to do the whole 25 min. But, if I don't go the whole 25 that's ok too. At least I'm trying. Now if I could just figure out how many calories I'm burning doing this it would be great. Good luck with your exercise. You can do it.
  • DonnaMDaniels
    DonnaMDaniels Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 - started out at 293, currently at 248 - and guess what, I am doing fitness bootcamps, which include running, jumping, and yes, somedays it very much hurts. But i keep pushing, and as long as you have a trainer or someone watching to make sure that your technique and form is correct, you will minimize the chance of injury. I also know a lot of people that start with swimming, like an aqua fit or something.
  • likewhoa712
    Options
    You Tube has some great chair exercises . www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPJKAG0mknI I tried a few this morning and enjoyed it. I'm planning to do this when I return home. I'll try to do the whole 25 min. But, if I don't go the whole 25 that's ok too. At least I'm trying. Now if I could just figure out how many calories I'm burning doing this it would be great. Good luck with your exercise. You can do it.

Thanks for this!!! I work alone in an office all day, I can def do this thru out the day. Good luck to you as well :)
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Haha well, you just find small exercises and work up. You are, otherwise, no where near too big to workout!!

I was 340 lbs at my highest (5'7") so a little more than you and the first exercise i did was speed jump rope. I had a bad back and knees and after a long days of work if i sat down i couldn't get up again! yet i still did skipping for a good half an hour and burnt 300 calories. Now that was really extreme of me and i later slowed down to some swimming to work up to it but it's mind over matter. Exercising is always supposed to hurt a little bit. No pain no gain right? You'll be sore, you'll ache, you'll want to stop but you keep going! :) try walking or swimming or chair exercises for a couple of weeks.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    There's also "Sit and Be Fit"; it's an exercise program aired on PBS. It's primarily meant for seniors but people who are starting out at high weights also tend to find it beneficial.

I started out at 5'4" and a whopping 343, so I know how hard it can be. But you can do it - even if it's just a little at a time. Do what you can, and no more than that. You'll work up to faster/stronger/etc. over time.

You can do this!
  • likewhoa712
    Options
    Haha well, you just find small exercises and work up. You are, otherwise, no where near too big to workout!!

I was 340 lbs at my highest (5'7") so a little more than you and the first exercise i did was speed jump rope. I had a bad back and knees and after a long days of work if i sat down i couldn't get up again! yet i still did skipping for a good half an hour and burnt 300 calories. Now that was really extreme of me and i later slowed down to some swimming to work up to it but it's mind over matter. Exercising is always supposed to hurt a little bit. No pain no gain right? You'll be sore, you'll ache, you'll want to stop but you keep going! :) try walking or swimming or chair exercises for a couple of weeks.

Thanks! Congrats on your loss! I never thought of jump roping... I'm sure my daughter has one I can try out. Especially if you were able to do it with knee pain too. I'm going to try out some chair exercises throughout my work day today, someone above posted some you tube links. Anything helps! Oh and I LOVE your ticker picture :)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Swimming works if all else is unrealistic. If realistic, walk. A walker might be useful... not glamorous but your joints may appreciate one for now. Do what you gotta do.