Ketogenic Diets not good for muscle building

Options
2»

Replies

• Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    What were the serum beta-hydroxybutyrate levels of the subjects in the six studies cited in support of Dr. Rudolph's article?
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    Bump.
  • xRedHeaterx
    xRedHeaterx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What were the serum beta-hydroxybutyrate levels of the subjects in the six studies cited in support of Dr. Rudolph's article?

Perhaps you are thinking what I'm thinking - that its unusual to see an article like this that doesn't quote actual studies in the text to back up what they are saying.

Still, it pretty much goes along with my way of thinking - to have a lot of protein but not actually to go ketogenic.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Perhaps you are thinking what I'm thinking - that its unusual to see an article like this that doesn't quote actual studies in the text to back up what they are saying.

Still, it pretty much goes along with my way of thinking - to have a lot of protein but not actually to go ketogenic.

Well, in particular, we know as a matter of evolutionary biology that we are all here today because BHB is arguably the most protein (and glucose) sparing compound known to mankind.

It seems more than a little bit bizarre, then, for Dr. Rudolph not to even discuss the BHB levels of the subjects in the studies that he summarily lists as his references.

What's more, how "hypocaloric" were the diets in the studies he cites?

The other thing I'd want to know is if the protein intake of the subjects was between 0.6 and 1.0 grams per pound of lean mass -- generally recommended for those on a ketogenic diet or protein sparing modified fast (PSMF).
  • Sonyalazanya
    Sonyalazanya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agree!!! There is NO muscle lost on ketogenic diets!!! It makes me angry to see misinformation like that out there. I am weight training, interval training AND on a ketogenic diet. My weight loss, energy and mental alertness have never been better.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I have been enjoying your posts lately. Keep it up!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Agree!!! There is NO muscle lost on ketogenic diets!!! It makes me angry to see misinformation like that out there. I am weight training, interval training AND on a ketogenic diet. My weight loss, energy and mental alertness have never been better.

To be fair- this post/topic is about muscle building and why keot isn't good for that. (it's not)

not losing mass isn't the same as building.

just. so we are all clear.
  • CharloK2
    CharloK2 Posts: 7
    Options
    Awesome post Joe! :)
  • jdb503
    jdb503 Posts: 3
    Options
    "Also, the low-protein attribute of the ketogenic diet forces the utilization of muscle protein as an energy source by breaking down muscle protein into amino acids to burn for energy. This, of course, will drive muscle atrophy as well as deplete strength. Finally, the high fat consumption during the ketogenic diet behaves like a molecular monkey wrench within the muscle tissue— wreaking havoc on several biochemical signaling cascades that negatively influence the proper function of mTOR— depleting muscle mass."

Just curious where you got this information. The studies and reports I have read are at odds with these statements. Ketosis does cause conversion of muscle protein into amino acids but as long as you are consuming plenty of protein then there will be no muscle loss. While probably not the best diet for building lean muscle it certainly does not cause muscle atrophy so long as you consume enough protein in your diet.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff.