Good Calories vs. Bad Calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You're counting calories to make sure that you're eating less calories than you are burning up...right.

The difference between good and bad calories is simple, it's nutrition. You can eat a twinkie or a bag of suger to hit your calorie goal.. and yes you will lose weight, but you will not feel satisfied after one twinkie... whereas a nice chicken fillet with some veggies will totally leave you satisfied and give you sustained energy.

In the end, if you just want to lose weight, then yeah, eat whatever you want. But if you want to lose weight, feel full and be healthy, you should stick to "good" calories.
    *** This.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like I said, you have to do what works for you.

It wasn't clear you were speaking just for yourself, and acknowledging the subjectivity. "Bad" to me suggests more of a general claim. But since you say you weren't making such a claim, no argument.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Good - food that fits in my calories and does not prevent me from meeting my macros and micros for the day (or week if you prefer to measure that way).
    Bad - food that doesn't fall in the 'Good' category.

So, anything is fair game for the Good category depending on what else I've eaten or am planning on eating.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    People have different opinions of what "good" and "bad" foods are, or even whether or not things should be labeled as such, and as you've already seen, some of them are quite contradictory. YOU are the only one that can decide all of that. I personally know what works for me, and when I eat higher amounts of carbs, I feel like crap (sluggish/tired sometimes to the point of severe exhaustion, sore joints, chronic headaches, etc). I have been tested for celiac disease, and I don't have it. Gluten sensitivity? Maybe. I just know that I feel much better when my diet includes more protein and "good" fat (of course that is a whole other can-o-worms conversation haha) and the less carbs the better I feel. HOWEVER I don't completely ban anything. I like junk food, so I indulge in chips or cookies occasionally. I crave pasta every so often, so I'll have some spaghetti if that's what I really want. It's really just about finding what works for you :)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    New science vs. Old Science
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    You can't be healthy and eat nothing but double bacon cheeseburgers from McDonald's

Says who?

Rigger
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You can't be healthy and eat nothing but double bacon cheeseburgers from McDonald's

Says who?

Rigger

Says malnutrition?

That said, I don't know why people bother with silly hypotheticals like this in the first place though. "If you ate nothing but chicken then chicken is unhealthy" and other similar anecdotes really add nothing to a discussion of what makes for an overall healthy diet.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    A "Calorie" or food calorie is approximately the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius.

They are ALL THE SAME in this world ... there is no such thing as good or bad Calories. It is a unit of measure.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    o0WmPyD.png
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Says who?

Rigger

Says malnutrition?

That said, I don't know why people bother with silly hypotheticals like this in the first place though. "If you ate nothing but chicken then chicken is unhealthy" and other similar anecdotes really add nothing to a discussion of what makes for an overall healthy diet.

While McDonalds is not my first choice, or even in the top ten for a cheeseburger, said sandwich still has a pretty good macro balance. Depending on where you go, and what's on the burger, a double bacon cheeseburger is a pretty dang good choice. I'm not saying that you're not missing out on some micro's, but you can be healthy subsisting on cheeseburgers.

Rigger
  • prettymrsnelson
    Options
    This was really helpful...thanks for the feedback everyone! Now for that chocolate cake in my kitchen! Lol just kidding. I'm trying to make more sensible choices and have always been taught to steer clear of treats...which in the ends leads to major binging and then eventually just giving up completely. It's nice to know that I can still enjoy my favorite foods...just in moderation.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This was really helpful...thanks for the feedback everyone! Now for that chocolate cake in my kitchen! Lol just kidding. I'm trying to make more sensible choices and have always been taught to steer clear of treats...which in the ends leads to major binging and then eventually just giving up completely. It's nice to know that I can still enjoy my favorite foods...just in moderation.

You deserve to have some treats!! I would go crazy without my daily chocolate fix :love: