When you have to eat out..

I am a busy busy mom. I actually had no time for lunch, until 3 and then it was just a quick snack. My kids are both active and in sports, like right now I'm at a soccer field and will leave here to head to the ball field.

Tonight will be a take out dinner and I'm just dreading it.

When you eat out, what do you get and where do you go?

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    It sounds like you are indeed very, very busy.

However, dreading getting to enjoy a meal that someone else prepared for you, and that maybe is something you don't really get to make at home . . . well that just feels like you're doing it wrong. IMHO, thread title should be "When you get to eat out ..."

That said, there are usually going to be one or more options in any given type of food that will work into your macro goals. You just need to be thoughtful and exercise portion control!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    You can basically eat out just about any where....just order meat and veges.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    just go for things that aren't fried, get fish if they have it and veggies or a salad with no cheese/fattening dressings. it's mostly about portion control.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    I am a busy busy mom. I actually had no time for lunch, until 3 and then it was just a quick snack. My kids are both active and in sports, like right now I'm at a soccer field and will leave here to head to the ball field.

Tonight will be a take out dinner and I'm just dreading it.

When you eat out, what do you get and where do you go?

I am, I have to work through lunch and go in an hour earlier just to be able to get off work to take the kids to their practices. I need to start crockpoting..

I think we are going to subway.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,755 Member
    My go to in that situation is Chick fil a. 12 count grilled nuggets and a side salad with minimal dressing or medium fruit cup. Their grilled chicken sandwiches are also good. Heck, McDonalds's lists the calories right on the drive through menu. I've got three playing sports (jv vball and club soccer) and have eaten out 5 times in the past two weeks and continue to lose steadily.
  • hoktauri
    hoktauri Posts: 24 Member
    I eat out everyday and as long as you watch the sodium and calories you're fine. I used to hit Chick Fil A all the time until I saw their sodium count, I miss my chickn minis. I couldn't do a diet where I couldn't eat out.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    Usually I get bibimbap (Korean) or banh mi (Vietnamese) if that's an option.

But with typical fast food chains I'll usually get:

Steak N' Shake double steakburger, plain
    Chipotle burrito bowl with steak, rice or beans, lettuce & sour cream
    2 crunchy tacos
    veggie burger at Burger King (or Junior Whopper depending)
    Subway egg & cheese with tons of veggies on flatbread

Mainly my M.O. is to stick with no fries, no other sides, water to drink...not too difficult.

sometimes I'll just get Wendy's 4 chicken nuggets (180 cal) to get me by with a bit of protein and then eat a healthier meal when I get home

Wendy's salads are the only fast food salads I like. Pretty high in sodium, but great calorie counts.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    just go for things that aren't fried, get fish if they have it and veggies or a salad with no cheese/fattening dressings. it's mostly about portion control.

Portion control or food restriction?
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Eating out I have two rules, one get the kids meal if that is my option and if not then I save half, right away I ask for a to-go container before I take a bite, then I put 1/2 in there and save it for dinner or next days lunch! I also try to know what the places I go often offer and I have in my mind what choices I can make smartly... might get a Whopper Jr. and instead of fries get a fruit or side salad or nothing... I order meat and a salad and veggies not a baker or fries... things like that.
  • squishprincess

definitely not food restriction! most restaurants have larger than necessary portions, and if you get something like rice or potatoes or something really carby or starchy i'm sure you don't want to eat the entire thing! especially since it's probably been cooked in oils or butter or something. portion control is great going out to eat. eat all the veggies you want but you do need to portion some things and meats if they come in large orders :p
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member

definitely not food restriction! most restaurants have larger than necessary portions, and if you get something like rice or potatoes or something really carby or starchy i'm sure you don't to eat the entire thing! especially since it's probably been cooked in oils or butter or something. portion control is great going out to eat. eat all the veggies you want but you do need to portion some things and meats if they come in large orders :p

Nothing wrong with butter, oil, cheese, or fattening dressings in moderation. Advising people to stay away from fat (unless medically advised) is a form of food restriction. That's why I asked you to clarify.
  • squishprincess

definitely not food restriction! most restaurants have larger than necessary portions, and if you get something like rice or potatoes or something really carby or starchy i'm sure you don't to eat the entire thing! especially since it's probably been cooked in oils or butter or something. portion control is great going out to eat. eat all the veggies you want but you do need to portion some things and meats if they come in large orders :p

Nothing wrong with butter, oil, cheese, or fattening dressings in moderation. Advising people to stay away from fat (unless medically advised) is a form of food restriction. That's why I asked you to clarify.

oh, i was just saying because i live in the south and they literally drench everything in butter and oil, so just used to most places doing so, lol. plus some oils are not as healthy as others.. that's just me though, avoiding butters/some oils
  • hoktauri
    hoktauri Posts: 24 Member
    Wendy's salads are the only fast food salads I like. Pretty high in sodium, but great calorie counts.

A 4 piece nugget and a ceasar side salad with half a dressing and no croutons is a pretty good lunch.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    My go-tos for chain restaurants are Moe's and Chipotle. Moe's- Joey Junior as a streaker. Pile on the veggies and season with a lime wedge. Chipotle- burrito bowl with barbacoa, brown rice, and lots of veggies. You can get extra vegggies for free at both places. Skip the chips. Subway is easier to find, I tend to opt for BLT, extra lettuce, wheat bread, no mayo. Not wonderful, but could be worse. We avoid most burger places.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Next time you're at the soccer field waiting on the kids, look up the nutrition information at the place you want to eat before you go so you can make the proper choice before ordering.
  • marlyu
    marlyu Posts: 24 Member
    Next time you're at the soccer field waiting on the kids, look up the nutrition information at the place you want to eat before you go so you can make the proper choice before ordering.

THIS! I'm a planner, and if you're a busy mom, I bet you're a planner and have everything scheduled out. During the day, think about places/options to eat and look up their nutrition menus online. If the restaurant itself doesn't have it listed, MFP's database from all the wonderful members is pretty well stocked. I can always find something good to eat, and yes, remember to double check the portions and only eat what fits into your daily nutrition goals.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Usually I get bibimbap (Korean) or banh mi (Vietnamese) if that's an option.

But with typical fast food chains I'll usually get:

Steak N' Shake double steakburger, plain
    Chipotle burrito bowl with steak, rice or beans, lettuce & sour cream
    2 crunchy tacos
    veggie burger at Burger King (or Junior Whopper depending)
    Subway egg & cheese with tons of veggies on flatbread

Mainly my M.O. is to stick with no fries, no other sides, water to drink...not too difficult.

sometimes I'll just get Wendy's 4 chicken nuggets (180 cal) to get me by with a bit of protein and then eat a healthier meal when I get home

Mmmmm banh mi, so good. What do you use for a calorie count for them?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    For fast food I get a quarter pounder no cheese and a large iced tea. For regular restaurants I get grilled meat and veggies. Cracker Barrel is a place we go fairly often because it is close and convenient plus you can order to go. I get the two pork chop meal with two sides of turnip greens and a side of green beans.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    I love all you can eat buffets. Its always fun to compete with friends to see who can finish the most plates.

:huh: WTH?

You're an MFP Moderator?

I'm missing the joke.
  • jennlemon
    jennlemon Posts: 4 Member
    i find it best to get burgers without bread or cheese, usually whatever fresh side they have and water or unsweet tea. all depends on where you go. but im a fan of chick-fil-a!