SCALE: Friend or Foe

Options
I'm wanting to write some words of encouragement to a friend in addressing the scale, but am looking for some synonyms for the word. I know we have some creative minds out there. Can you come up with some, such as "take away machine" "weight remover" "my scale down version" ... all of which aren't what I'm looking for. HELP!!!!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand which type of scale you are referring to... do you mean it's all relative scale?

or the actual physical scale you step on??

Because the scale is nothing but a data tool.

It provides you feed back for where you are and if you are headed in the correct direction for your goals.

It does not make or break you- it is not fundamentally who you are- it doesn't weigh your hard work- or how fabulous you are when you walk out of the house- it does not weigh how well you treat your friends and family- how great of a lover you are- how exemplary of an employee or how great a leader and boss you are.

It is simply a data collection tool. You may chose to use it- or not. But it does not make or break you. It simple confirms if you are moving in the right direction and can help adjust and fine tune your plans for your goals.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to write some words of encouragement to a friend in addressing the scale
    I agree with Jo - it's just a tool.
    Weigh yourself or not, your weight is not going to change.

Knowing that (for example) your free week of eating while you were on vacation means that you've gained 3 lb won't make your weight go up any more, but does tell you that you ate more than you needed, and if you want to lose weight again you should stop doing that.

Personally, I look forward to getting on the scale every morning, because I've been losing weight.
    I like the reinforcement showing me that I'm doing things right.
  • poodlenoodlemuffin
    poodlenoodlemuffin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm possibly too old to be using this word, but I see mine as my best frenemy!

It will give you a fact about yourself. How you chose to interpret and deal with that is down to you.
  • dieter67
    dieter67 Posts: 57
    Options
    Wow, that went over way toooo serious. It was meant to be more light hearted. I belong to a group where we weigh-in once a week. I was looking for an alternate name rather than say "Facing the Scale". I guess I could always saw "Facing George" or "Facing the Metal Monster".
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    "Standy ony thingie that lies to me"
  • rustic23
    Options
    "The Scale of Justice"
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

Because the scale is nothing but a data tool.

It provides you feed back for where you are and if you are headed in the correct direction for your goals.

in addition its about trends not individual readings!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    in addition its about trends not individual readings!
    and more data points = better trend lines- which is why I weigh daily- but yes- the feed back is a longer term type deal- not daily- excellent point.
    Wow, that went over way toooo serious. It was meant to be more light hearted. I belong to a group where we weigh-in once a week. I was looking for an alternate name rather than say "Facing the Scale". I guess I could always saw "Facing George" or "Facing the Metal Monster".

but even that is wrong.

You aren't FACING something- or FACING a monster- it's not a battle- or a war.

it's.
    just.
    a.
    tool.
  • dieter67
    dieter67 Posts: 57
    Options
    So what's wrong with naming your tool?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    naming it is different than entire negative connotation of having to face your fear.

You're a grown *kitten* woman- you can do what you want-

But 1.) you asked and 2.) but trying to create levity about a scale is already ascribing to much weight to it.

But if you want to name it- go right ahead.