Working out on an empty stomach?

Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I heard working out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning burns more calories and fat. Is this true? What are the benefits of doing this?

Not more calories but more calories from fat. Generally it isn't any better than doing it later in the day since you're just working against your calorie intake but there is an added benefit. You're training your body to use fat for fuel and if you're doing any sort of endurance work this is a huge huge plus.

Try it out and see if you like it. There's no need to eat before you workout in the morning unless you want to.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I heard working out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning burns more calories and fat. Is this true? What are the benefits of doing this?

Not more calories but more calories from fat. Generally it isn't any better than doing it later in the day since you're just working against your calorie intake but there is an added benefit. You're training your body to use fat for fuel and if you're doing any sort of endurance work this is a huge huge plus.

Try it out and see if you like it. There's no need to eat before you workout in the morning unless you want to.

Wouldn't that only be the case if you are exercising long/hard enough to deplete your glycogen stores?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Bump because I see more preference answers than does it burn more fat in answer.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Wouldn't that only be the case if you are exercising long/hard enough to deplete your glycogen stores?

Hmm someone knows a little something here. I would like to see studies on how fasted cardio burns more fat? It be something to laugh at.
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    I think the jury is still out according to that MFP Blog. That is, it appears to help short run, but doesn't help long run... appears to be their experts' opinion.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts on an empty stomach in the morning, but thats purely out of preference, however for long runs (more than 6 miles) I do eat a bar of some sort before the run, otherwis I lose energy, or if I'm working out for more than 60 minutes I'll eat a little something. I don't really see any benefit other than the fact that I don't have to wakeup at 4am to eat before my morning workout.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Newer studies have shown that actually it burns calories from Muscle first which is the total opposite of what you want ! Here are two recent and referenced articles if you are interested further.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-myth-of-cardio-before-breakfast-debunked.html

http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/369.cfm
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Newer studies have shown that actually it burns calories from Muscle first which is the total opposite of what you want ! Here are two recent and referenced articles if you are interested further.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-myth-of-cardio-before-breakfast-debunked.html

http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/369.cfm

It does. I am so surprised. I did not know that.

Source: is my second weight loss attempt and I learned from it.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Hmm someone knows a little something here. I would like to see studies on how fasted cardio burns more fat? It be something to laugh at.
    Shapey J's link has links to studies on the subject
  • Hallsoa25
    Hallsoa25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ive been wondering the same thing. Sometimes I grab a banana before I go to work but other times I just drink water. But I start my work out every morning at 6:00am and finish at about 7:30am. I'm just not hungry that early in the morning. I do have a protein shake after my workout as recovery. But is it a bad thing to workout on an empty stomach?

Also I do have a pre-workout powder (C-4) that I use sometimes but still don't feel a difference.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Ive been wondering the same thing. Sometimes I grab a banana before I go to work but other times I just drink water. But I start my work out every morning at 6:00am and finish at about 7:30am. I'm just not hungry that early in the morning. I do have a protein shake after my workout as recovery. But is it a bad thing to workout on an empty stomach?

Also I do have a pre-workout powder (C-4) that I use sometimes but still don't feel a difference.

You do not feel C4. I tried C4 once and I felt like I just had a adrenaline rush and I am ready to breaks some personal record.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Well, opinions vary but I do 30 - 40 miles of fasted cardio a week. Judge for yourself if this produces good results. This isn't even my leanest weight. I'll drop 10 pounds off this by December. Yes, it will rip fat off your body IF you don't overeat. Calories in vs. calories out are the main concern. Everyone here is overthinking this.

IMAG1641_1_zpsec5b27d0.jpg

It does not use up your muscle for food. It trains your body to use fat for energy for long endurance events.

IMAG1354_zps3450b34f.jpg
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Well, opinions vary but I do 30 - 40 miles of fasted cardio a week. Judge for yourself if this produces good results. This isn't even my leanest weight. I'll drop 10 pounds off this by December. Yes, it will rip fat off your body IF you don't overeat. Calories in vs. calories out are the main concern. Everyone here is overthinking this.

IMAG1641_1_zpsec5b27d0.jpg

It does not use up your muscle for food. It trains your body to use fat for energy for long endurance events.

IMAG1354_zps3450b34f.jpg

I'll have what he's having.
  • ByronJP
    ByronJP Posts: 67
    Options
    Personally if I get up for a morning bike ride, which is roughly 8-10 miles depending on the route I choose, I like to do it before eating. However I do drink plenty of fluid before I got which often includes almond or coconut milk which helps with the energy I'm sure. I do my morning rides as quickly as possible.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    I'll have what he's having.

LOL.

When you eat food your body fills up your glycogen stores in your liver, then it fills up your muscle glycogen stores. Leftover energy gets converted to fat. Between your liver and your muscles you have enough energy for about 2 hours of intense exercise. Of course if you haven't' eaten all night long you'll have less and then your body will need to get extra energy from elsewhere. Your body does not prefer to burn muscle. It wants to use body fat. That's what it's there for.

So you workout, use up some body fat and then eat breakfast. Go back to step A where your liver and muscles start refilling. Repeat. The net result of your work still depends on hitting calorie goals and not overeating. Yes you're training your body to more easily use fat for energy working out fasted but if you're adding more gas to your car after it's full you're still going to pack on the weight.

I personally believe that aside from the endurance benefit that fasted cardio does provide a tiny advantage. It's very small but spread out over a year, week after week this little bit of difference adds up to makes a noticable difference.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lol @ bowel of cereal.
    Suggestion also: Try using a heart rate monitor that shows your calories burned- do exactly the same workout two days in a row, the only variable to change would be do one after eating food before, and the other workout without food. Compare to see the difference! Post the results here. That would be interesting.

That won't do anything. It will produce the same result because of how HRMs work.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I normally don't eat when i first get up, but i like to head out for my walk within a half hour or so of waking up. Some mornings, like this morning, i woke up starving so i had a zucchini apple raisin muffin (homemade yummy!) before I left. So for me, it just depends on how i feel. If I'm hungry, i make sure to eat because I'll feel sick and lightheaded before I'm done. No need for that!
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    In to read more later.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If I didn't do my work out as soon as I got up, I don't think I would get it done at all!! I tend to have my breakfast afterwards

I'm similar to this.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I always run in the mornings on an empty stomach. After reading the MFP blog yesterday, I decided to eat oatmeal this morning to see if it made a difference. It didn't. If anything, it made me feel somewhat sluggish. I'll stick to running on an empty stomach because that's what works for me.