having an impossible time staying at or under my calories

Options
So, after setting up my profile and determining what I'd like to lose and by when, I was given a goal of 1700 cals per day net. This set me on a pace to lose 2 lbs per week until the end of March to reach my goal. That was a little easier for me to reach, but I still needed to exercise at least 30 minutes each day to stay in the range. Sometimes that's hard, sometimes not. Still, I was inevitably over on my calories each day, only being under very rarely.

And I was, as you'd expect, not noticing any change in my weight.

So, I adjusted my activity level down, to reflect the fact that I sit all day, every day at a computer. Now, I'm at 1340 net intake per day. Still want to lose the 2lbs per week til the end of march. That would reach my goal weight loss of 25 lbs, of which, 6, I've lost to this point.

But my complaint is that I am finding it impossible to stay at or under my calorie goal. 1340 calories, even 1700 calories, is just so easy to hit. I'm a muscular built 6' tall man, age 35, right at 200lbs, with a very strenuous hobby I participate in (road cycling), which burns tremendous amounts of calories. Alas, I don't ride every day. Still, I'm just not getting leaner, like I had hoped I would by now. Plateau just isn't the word for it anymore. It's simply no progress because the calorie restriction is too difficult for me to realistically hit. I'm going to need to live on Lean Cuisine meals only for the next 2 months to make this happen!! Help!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    If you would make your food diary public, I could see what you eat and offer suggestions. I am a marathoner and completely understand about eating back those exercise calories on long run days where I burn over 1000 calories at least. My diary is public if you want food suggestions. As for the lean cuisines, i used to eat one a day for lunch but I just wasn't losing...i blame the sodium. Fresh foods make you feel better too.

Good luck!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    For someone who is already relatively lean, as you are, 2 lb/week is usually pretty unrealistic. I would reset your goal to 1 lb/week, or at least 1.5 lb/week. You'll get more cals and feel less restricted. And it may help jumpstart some loss. Also, at your stage of having fairly little to lose, you should be looking also at measurements, as you'll probably be losing inches and toning up, much more than losing weight.

Good luck!
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yeah, frozen food is going to do more to hurt you than help you. Lean, fresh meats, fish, and lots and lots of veggies is the way to go. Also, what ladyhawk00 said.
  • luefox
    luefox Posts: 6
    Options
    I feel bad for you--I am only 5 foot 6 and a woman and I've whined every day about having to stick to 1500 calories!! How have you been so disciplined? I have been exercising and watching calories for 12 weeks and seen no results. My trainers/nutritionists tell me I'm not eating enough calories for my output and that I'm not eating the right combo of protein/carbs and fats. Seems like even if you do get the calorie count right, that still isn't enough. I'm beginning to think I need to spend money on that gene phenotype test that tells you what combination of foods/exercise work for your body with a saliva swab. It's supposed to be rigorously scientific and not a fad. It's about $180 though. Maybe you could eat more if you had the right mix of food is what I'm saying. It doesn't seem right that you are eating so little. I think you look great in your photo by the way.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Have you got a turbo trainer at home? I have one for winter training to use with my road bike.

You could replace a steady ride with a harder HIIT session doing hard intervals?
  • sarahbear119
    sarahbear119 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The Lean Cusines are not a good choice. Th food isn't the best quality and you can get a lot more food, if you use fresh fruits and veggies, with lean meats and healthly carbs like brown rice and whole wheat pasta. Also I agree with ladyhawk00.
  • peck113
    peck113 Posts: 19
    Options
    It really is all about what you eat. You need to do a better job of eating clean whole foods. Your food is what fuels your body. So put the highest quality of food in it that you can. Cut out all of the processed things that you're eating. I promise that you'll be able to eat more calories and still lose weight.
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've heard this before, but--eat your exercise calories! If you're burning a ton doing road cycling, you get those calories added on, so you should be able to eat more than the 1700!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine's are rubbish! And 2lbs per week for someone with so little to lose is unrealistic and too much of a demand on your body. The less you have to lose, the longer it takes. Reset to 1lb per week and gain 500 cals.

I think if you reset your term, eat more per day and eat fresh, wholesome foods, you'll reach your goals by summer.

Check out the search facility for posts with people with little to lose. There are loads of professional answers given. Your body is telling you something when it wants to eat more and is holding on to the weight.

Also, if you want a muscular upper body, you need to weight train your upper body :bigsmile:

Good luck :flowerforyou: