regular or diet food?

Options
tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,343 Member
Just curious: Who here eats "diet" food - meaning food that has been made sugar free/fat free/calorie free? And who here only eats regular food?

Example - Will you eat a regular yogurt or a reduced fat/calorie yogurt? Will you eat regular bread or reduced fat/calorie bread?

I know there are pros and cons to both, so I was just wondering what most of you all choose.

Replies

• shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I eat a little of both.

Depends on what it is really... some "diet" stuff tastes like crap and some is not really that bad or tastes just as good as the full fat regular version.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Nearly everything I eat is regular food. I eat a couple of 'diet' foods. I make the decision depending on taste and bang for the buck.

The usual suspects are:

Skim milk - I actually like this better than whole milk for drinking.

Coconut almond milk, unsweetened - has been a good baking substitute in recipes where coconut and almond flavor is a good thing.

2% cottage cheese - For me, there's no appreciable difference from whole.

Sugar free chocolate pudding - definitely not as good as the real deal, but I won't normally take the time to make the real thing.

Diet soda - regular soda is not good enough for me to waste the calories on it.
  • grumpyldo
    Options
    Mostly diet food. Low carb yogurt, healthy delight wheat bread, dressing with low carbs, etc Even started eating better lettuce, now stay away from iceberg totally.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of both.

When I first started, I tended towards low fat, low calorie everything but after many trials, I realized some of that stuff just doesn't taste very good (fat free cheese - ick!) so I've learned to make compromises when I can and worry more about portion size.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    With the exception of diet coke everything I eat is regular.

I compared full fat greek yogart and 0% fat greek yogart same brand and realised the 0% fat had a ton more cals so I now stick with full fat stuff.

I have smaller portions and alot less carbs but more protein. I'm not saying carbs are bad but it works better that way for me.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Mostly "real" food.

Half and Half in my coffee instead of pure cream, but that's about it.
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Most of what I eat is regular food, with a few exceptions, like most others. Most of my exceptions are dairy, except for cheese, always has to be real cheese.

2% milk. It's what I grew up on and what I have always drank.

4% cottage cheese. Don't know why, just what I eat.

Yogurt can be real or light, depending on what's on sale and what the flavor is.

Almost never do anything fully fat free or sugar free. They don't taste as good and they tend to up the opposite of what they're leaving out (sugar free = more fat, fat free = more sugar).
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I eat regular. All that diet stuff is too processed (and I also don't like the taste of it lol). But I eat pretty "clean" most of the time so the more natural the better (for me)
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do a mix up of both regular and diet foods. I mostly stick to regular foods and fit it into my diet.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A little of both, really. Mostly decided by what I actually like better. I drink diet soda occasionally, but only because I actually like the taste of it better. I eat cookies, ice cream, butter, mayo, and full fat yogurt. Moderation is key. :flowerforyou:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of both to help meet my macro/calorie goals. I buy fat free Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, I'll buy lite breads for the fiber content, and I drink diet Coke because regular soda makes my teeth feel gross. I used to be one of those low-fat/fat free all the time people, then I learned that fat is good.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I eat a mix of it but usually the "diet" stuff because that's what I'm used to. I was pretty much raised on skim milk, sugar free pudding, etc. LOL
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat regular food most of the time. Sometimes I'll chose the "diet" options if I feel like it. A lot of times, I find the diet food compromises on taste.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I just eat Food. I do not discriminate by creed, colour or content it's just food. Except for Kale that's just the work of the Devil
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what the ingredients are.
    If it's "regular" and has high fructose corn syrup as the 2nd ingredient. No thanks, upsets my stomach.
    The reason I do not drink most regular soda, hfcs makes me sick.
    But I have will power, so if it is diet and tastes like cardboard I won't eat it, instead eat the real deal and eat less.
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Mostly regular foods, just in smaller portions.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Besides skim milk, most is full fat. I do usually use 2% cheese though, tastes the same to me n i gotta get my cheese fix in lol
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I eat a little of both.

Depends on what it is really... some "diet" stuff tastes like crap and some is not really that bad or tastes just as good as the full fat regular version.

Basically this. A huge mix.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I eat regular food as much as I can and stay away from the artificial diet foods-low fat etc. Regular food tastes a ton better and keeps me full longer too.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Must admit I am a sucker for anything labelled 'diet', 'low fat', 'reduced fat' but I do check that is hasn't been rammed full of sugar and other crap first.
    I love skimmed milk, that is more down to taste as to me anything else tastes to creamy
    Reduced fat houmus, margarine, cheese all taste pretty much the same for me so I stick to those.
    I also do go for the Weight Watchers snacks as they tend be between 70-100 cals, such as the Jaffa Bars which are nice. Some may argue that they aren't healthy, but for me it allows me to have a sweet treat without going over my calories.
    I don't 'eat clean' so those are just my preferences!