help ideas??

Options
RET68
RET68 Posts: 88
Fish Broth Help??
Hi, I will lose a hundred pounds, and I must do so while feeding three kids, one with severe health issues. We used to eat a Weston Price style, high vitamin K chicken broth a couple of times a week. Also I would use it to flavor rice, veg, soups etc. Now the pediatrician says I need to take myself and my kids off chicken, onions, garlic, broccolli, in fact all cruciferous. I can't cook without garlic and onions, but I'm gonna learn. So I go to whole foods, they will give you fish heads and bones they chopped for other people free. Or just 2.49 a pound if you'll pay without a wait or hassle, but we're saving pennies, paying college tuition and maybe hope to retire someday (rolls eyes). So they give me this massive fish head, made a beautiful broth. Stunk up the whole house, but I just don't know what to do with it. I have lemongrass and basil in the yard. I was thinking Thai??? but, any and I mean any suggestions would help. BTW chicken onions garlic cruciferous and all sulfur producing foods are out. Does anyone know some great recipes for chowder, pad Thai, something??? : ) Thx

Replies

• wearynurse
    wearynurse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Other than risotto, which is probably too high in cals, how about a fish, coconut and lemongrass curry? You could add lots of (non-cruciferous) veggies (pumpkin is great in Thai-style curries), light coconut milk, ginger, galangal, turmeric and some curry paste or powder that fits your dietary restrictions....

Alternatively, how about a fish pie? I've seen plenty of recipes around - I'm sure you could omit the onions/garlic and still make it tasty.

I live in Australia and use the TASTE site often - they have a low FODMAP section (sounds like this is similar to the restrictions you have). http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collections/low+fodmap+diet+recipes

Happy cooking!