Losing inches but not lbs???

Options
2»

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    In the last almost five months I've only lost 12 pounds, but I dropped from a barely 12 to a comfy 8 in pants sizes. Five months ago I started working out. You're totally on the right path, use the scale as your check-in but don't marry yourself to the number. :)
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options

Great bog, that is pretty amazing. Gives me hope, lol
  • shaphira
    Options
    omg:noway: i have the same problem i used to wear 20-22w pants few years back i weigh 200. Now im a 12/14 or 10 but still weight the same:sad: .But hey if it just muscle im not complaining :wink:
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I'm a bit frustrated. So many keep saying a pound is a pound, and while that is true, the mere fact that it takes more fat to weigh the same as muscle means that the muscle weighs more! So yes a pound of fat and a pound of muscle obviously weigh the same, but a square inch of fat and a square inch of muscle certainly do not. And maybe for some of you its easier to remember that fat takes up more space, for me muscle weighs more than fat has kept me going some times when the scale wasn't cooperating.
    Just try to remember that in reality, both statements are true.
  • tish30930
    tish30930 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Maybe an easier way to explain it is that a pound of fat is the same weight as a pound of muscle. The difference is fat takes up more space than a pound of muscle. It's like looking at a pound of feathers (pretending it takes up a whole trash bag), vs, a pound of potatoes that you could hold with your hands cupped together. That's the difference. it's the volume of space it takes up. Also, muscle burns calories more efficiently. So the more muscle you have, the more calories you can consume. :)
  • jessesmimtz
    Options
    Im so glad I read this post I was getting a little discouraged but Im understanding... feeling better
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I agree. I was told that since I am over 40 it's very important to build up muscle, which in turn helps burn calories, because (and I don't know how true this is) that when you work a muscle you actually DAMAGE it, and the body draws from fat stores to repair and rebuild the muscle. Even though MFP has a weight tracker, I'm not sure how much faith I'll put in the number I see on the scale, because I am lifting weights to build up muscle mass and that may cause the number not to go down very fast.