Are the last 10 pounds really harder to lose?

Options
2»

Replies

• tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Been working on my last 10 lbs. since January the 1st. My scale has not moved at all for 5 months except to go up a couple of lbs. I've lost 71 lbs. in a little over a year. So for me, YES. But this close to goal, I'm just going to keep on track and see what happens. If you would have told me that the first 71 lbs. would be easier to lose than the last 10 before I started I would have called you crazy.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Without citing any articles, YES. I am in that stage of trying to lose the last 10 pounds of fat and the hunger pains are definitely harder to control.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight your body is generally burning less calories at rest so you have to eat less calories to have the same amount of deficit, so as you lose weight it tends to get harder (you have to be more extreme) to lose weight. One way to counteract this is to gain muscle mass instead of just lose weight as it will help you burn more calories.

This is true too-- you can (and should) go in and redo your goals with your updated BMR every once in awhile.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't look at it as the last 10 lbs, but as a body fat %. At my starting weight, I only had those 10 lbs to lose since I wasnt too big to begin with. The scale has stopped moving for me at around 130-132 but the inches are still coming off, so when you think your at your last 10lb point, I would ditch the scale and just go by inches and calculated body fat %

What she said. ^
  • Wowunicorns
    Wowunicorns Posts: 16
    Options
    I think it is harder because you losing 10 lb at 100 lb (just an example) is a higher % of your overall body weight than 10 lb at 150 lb. Basically you're losing 'more' of your body.

Also, the smaller you get, the less fat there is to lose. Even if you lose weight, your bones and organs stay the same weight!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    For one, the closer to your goal weight you are the fewer calories your body has to spend to do the same amount of work you did at a higher weight. To keep the same weight loss rate you have to either eat less, work out more or do a combo. It's imminently logical that those last few pounds are going to be harder. It also sucks, but what can you do? Well, you can work out more, eat less, do both or just develop some patience. :wink:
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    All I know is that my weight loss was fairly linear for the first 96 pounds, which took just under a year to lose. That brought me right to the top of my healthy BMI weight range. Since then losing weight has become incredibly difficult. I don't know why, but I do know it's very frustrating and I have a new understanding for people who want to lose 10-15 of "vanity" weight, that I never had when I weighed over 200 pounds.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Simple...Tell yourself you have 20 lbs to lose, and the first 10 pounds will be easier...Worked for me.

Love this! lol

I know old topic but googled and this came up. Always been curious why people say the last 10lbs are hard and like the OP is your mental and body at war! lol

I constantly eat under or drink over, lol,, different exercise routines so I'm hoping this helps with my last 15lbs.. It keeps my body guessing. lol
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    To me yes. But you got to set yourself @goal &motivate yourself
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    For me it's ridiculously hard. Not only does carrying less fat around all day mean I have a narrower range between maintenance and weight loss as well as less calories to maintain, I'm much hungrier and I find a much wider variety of foods highly palatable than I did before.
  • Sarra33
    Sarra33 Posts: 30
    Options
    I am on my second trip down from over 160 to my goal weight of 135.

Last time I did this (a few years back) it was relatively easy to get down to 145 but then 145-135 took some work. I definitely had to exercise more, raise my protein up to at least 90g/day and drop my carbs down to 35g or less.

Then I decided I wanted abs so I hired a trainer and within 6 weeks went from 135-127 and started to see abs. (I'm 5'7") Then I burnt out, gave up and ate my way back up to 165 over the course of the last 2 years.

For me the work and sacrifice involved in being under 135 and having low enough body fat to show abs just isn't worth it. I am going to get down into the 135-140 range and stay there this time.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    yes. they are harder to lose but I think it is because they aren't coming off as fast as in the beginning and because to get them off I have to make the calorie deficit bigger by less food or more exercise. Of course I cant eat less food and I cant increase the time of my exercise but I can up the intensity but.... I get lazy. I think when you get closer to your goal you have to stay focused on your original goal and stop secretly telling yourself it is okay to be lazy cuz you look great. (that is my problem a lot) I think focusing on other things other than the number on the scale is what keeps me going. I switch it up and challenge myself to jogging further or focusing on toning up a muscle group or add in a new activity... Either way you got to keep pushing on.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Technically they should be the same but for me I think it got to the point where I was happy with how I looked so I did not try as hard to lose it. I guess mentally it was easier to enjoy food again knowing that I was still maintaining then it was to fight for the last few pounds that in my mind would'nt make that much of a difference. Just my opinion/experience!

yes, this is totally my problem most days. its a mental fight every day with myself to keep pushing on.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Simple...Tell yourself you have 20 lbs to lose, and the first 10 pounds will be easier...Worked for me.

Ha Ha Ha I like your answer..... : )
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It's more of a psychological thing than anything else. Once people know that they are so close to their goal weight there's a few factors that come into play that cause it to be harder.

1. They start easing up on their food logging and intensity of exercise, mainly thinking that the last X pounds will just come of like the other X has.

2. They haven't adjusted their calorie needs after losing the first bit of weight so they're not eating at a deficit anymore.

3. They just stop trying as hard overall. Whatever dieting method they used may have been tedious and annoying so they embrace the fact that they can eat more since they're so close to maintenance when they should still be eating at a deficit.

It would probably be best for people to change their approach once they get close to their goal and don't lose anymore, and start lifting heavy to build muscle (If they haven't already). They'd probably look better at that same weight with more muscle and less fat than to lose that last bit of weight in fat and whatever else...
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    YES! Definitely harder (HARDEST) to lose. The "whys" are probably different among each of us, but they definitely wanna hang on to ya! Good luck! :drinker:

Agreed!! I found the final 5 even more difficult. But, I finally broke through my plateau when I started doing c25k. I am now in week 5 of that program and I am now only three pound from goal.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    For me, it's much harder to drop pounds at the last stretch. But I'm doing a lot of strength training and am losing inches. I've set a goal for a body fat %, but would still like to see that nice number on the scale. :)
  • mytabouly
    mytabouly Posts: 66 Member
    Options

You know, I might just use this....
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I only had ten to lose. That put me at losing only .5 pound per week, which is slow. It seems even slower when you toss in the water weight fluctuations.

So, yes, it is slow.

But I think it's smart to do it slowly so you can keep it up. I don't really feel deprived with my +/- 1600 calories, and I enjoy my 60 minutes of exercise (usually), so I know I can keep it up until I reach my pre-menopausal weight.