Rapidly losing heart.

Options
2»

Replies

• miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    At least some of the sugar issue is that I absolutely abhor coffee. Can't stand the stuff. So, I start out with a soda in the morning instead of a coffee, and that right there puts me over. One gram, but hey. Anyhow, anything else I eat in the day with any sugar at all in it makes it worse, but not *too* bad. Then I get to 7:30 at night, and have a whole load of calories to eat, and no stomach space to eat them, so... I wind up defaulting to soda just to up the calories. So, when I get the snack thing sorted and can actually eat the recommended # of calories, the soda will resolve itself - I only actually WANT one, and wind up tossing back several others just to boost my calories.

The article is wonderful - thank you so much! The primary thing I caught that I *really* wish I'd known/had ahead of time? "And we have to warn her." Had someone mentioned, coming in to this, that I would probably gain a bunch in the first few weeks, it would have been a LOT less stressful, disheartening, and (frankly) crushing to see that number on the scale today. I have no intention of giving up, I have a lot more bull-headedness in me than just two weeks, but MAN is it nice to get a real, physiological reason why I might be having so much trouble. Thank you.
  • DarcysLosingIt
    DarcysLosingIt Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article -
  • Erius
    Erius Posts: 23
    Options
    The best thing I can tell you is to go see your doctor. You should always see one before you start any major weight loss journey any how. You might have an underactive thyroid. Who knows...but talk to your doctor and he`ll tell you the best way to lose weight. You can incorporate that on mfp easily. Good luck!
  • cheryltini
    Options
    Don't lose heart. One of the reasons you gained weight this week is because of all the exercising you are doing. It is not uncommon to itinitially gain weight when you start exercising, and it sounds like you're going at it pretty hard. Drink lots of water, it flushes the system and gets rid of waste and actually keeps you from swelling.
    Instead of getting the calories from sugary food try eating more proteins and even a roll or bread is better for you than the sugary drinks. Yogurt is another great calorie source. I get the vanilla in a large container and then I can add different fruits to change it up.
    Hang it there, you can do this!
  • LauraKB
    LauraKB Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I quickly read through the posts and don't know if any recommended you see your doctor. You need to have your sugars checked along with your thyroid and endocrine system. You may need some medical support while you work on healthy eating and exercise. Make sure your body is working in as opitimal shape as it can and then change your lifestyle.

As your body adjusts to eating more healthy whole foods, it will respond positively! Don't start eating less or junky foods!!! It will waste your body away.

Good Luck!
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hang in there lady! As difficult as it is, try not to focus on the numbers. You will see a difference in the way you feel and the way your clothes fit you. When I started it took 3 weeks before there was any change in the numbers. Also, are you weighing at the same time of day? I have fourced myself to weigh in only once a week and always at the same time. If I miss it, then I shoot for the next day, but still at the same time.

I think the article was very enlightening. Thanks for posting!
  • miriamtorason
    Options
    I do weigh in at roughly the same time of day, so that's not an issue - though I learned that from the Wii, so there we go. ^_~

As far as the doctor, I go in, they do full panels of all bloodwork (and the last time there was even a Glucose Tolerance Test ordered!), and it all comes back perfect. So perfect that they're usually surprised that someone who looks like I do has bloodwork that good. Of course, then it all goes pear shaped and they essentially treat me like my diaper bag is jammed full of ho-hos, and I get the lecture about eating less, eating smaller portions, all that crap. Basically, going to the doctor is what got me into the space of being chronically undernourished in the first place. Pretty lame, innit? x.x;;

Thank you all so much for the positive words, the tips, the tricks and strategies - as well as the reminder to be patient. I really do appreciate it all!!
  • julsdolphin
    julsdolphin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm gonna give some tough love.

First of all stop drinking regular soda. Too many wasted calories. And you said that you eat too much sugar. Maybe you can share your diary so we can see what you are eating. I find it hard to believe that you are so full and yet have so many calories left over. Obviously you didnt gain all of this weight over night and you didn't gain the weight by not eating enough but by eating too much.

I can never for the life of me figure out how people who post here say that can't possibly eat all of their calories. I can eat mine, yours and everyone else's but I don't. I try to make smart choices with what I eat. Fruits and vegetables, freshly prepared meals instead of processed food, and I drink anywhere from 100-120 ounces of water a day.

You need to eat your daily allowance of calories plus your exercise calories or else your body will go into starvation mode and hoard the fat and water that you have. Focus on protein and healthy carbs and fats. Almonds are a great snack choice. Avocados are very good for you.

You have to make the conscious choice to eat smarter and it's hard work, but worth it in the end. Significant weight loss is a marathon not a sprint so lace up your shoes and get ready for the long run...
  • miriamtorason
    Options
    First, let me just say that I find more often than not "showing tough love" is just code for "let me be rude/nasty."

I'm at a point where I'm drinking one regular soda per day. I will not drink diet, as not only is it horrific for the body, but I can taste the artificial sweeteners, which also give me a rampaging headache. I will be working, going forward, on eliminating the need for even that one soda, but at this point, I can't straight out cut it, or it's a guarantee I'll fail.

Yes, I eat too much sugar. That one soda per day knocks me over the top in and of itself. And I really don't care if you believe I can't eat 1800 calories or not, because it's not a matter of whether or not anyone thinks I can, it's the fact of the matter that I CAN'T. As I'm spending more days eating up to more calories, I'm getting better about being able to eat my allotted calories and not hitting the point of vomit-worthy-over-full. It's taken two and a half weeks to get there. As I routinely would eat about 1000 calories daily, TOPS, an additional 800 is almost DOUBLING what I would usually eat in a day. Needless to say, this presented a challenge.

I'm slowly but surely learning what it is I need to do, and how I need to eat in order to keep my body functioning. The implication that I'm sitting over here playing all innocent while packing in a sack full of ho-hos, however, is not only unhelpful in the extreme, but it is also what landed me in this mess. At about 15-16 years old, I gained about 30 pounds in overeating (I had quit track and not paid attention to the fact that meant eating less or doing something else). Since then? No. The remainder of the weight gained has been through periods of yo-yo dieting and perpetually reducing caloric intake in an effort to lose. It hadn't occurred to me that perhaps the fact that my toddler eats more in a day than I did was a problem. So if you want to help, be my guest. But if you want to be condescending and treat me like I'm some kind of closet 2500-daily-calorie-eater who's "claiming" problems for no reason? I don't need it.
  • Happy_JoJo
    Happy_JoJo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I truly don't believe anyone here would be "rude or nasty" intentionally.. Everyone is different so both our bodies and
    minds react to situations differently. Loosing weight is a very frustrating and difficult process more often then not, but
    with the right tools, support, and program it can be done. The key I 100% believe in is to not give up. Nothing is more
    frustrating to know you are doing all the "right things" but have the scale not recognize it. Keep your chin up, and do all the "right
    things" again and good things are bound to happen.

We all have days when our self esteem plummets and feel terrible, but on the flip side we feel terrific when good things
    happen consistently. I live by the saying "if at first you don't succeed, try try again." that's my mantra.

Hang in there. You will be successful. hugs
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that consulting a nutritionist (NOT a dietician or whatever they're calling themselves nowadays) might be of some value. They can help you discover foods that are nutrition-rich but won't make you feel overstuffed. It seems that if you don't give yourself enough food, your body will never trust that it will get enough. It makes sense in some horrible, ironic way. My guess is that with enough of the right food you will feel better as well--a positive cycle.

The other thing is that if you're not feeding yourself well, working out so very hard will only be counterproductive. I'm not saying don't do anything, but if at the end of the workout you're exhausted instead of exhilarated you're probably doing too much.
    Most importantly--don't give up!! Keep checking back here. Keep posting your worries, your fears, your dreams, your frustrations--even if nobody reads or responds to them, you got them out--just like bad food that's got to come out, bad feelings should too.

Believe in yourself, treat yourself as gently as you would treat your child, forgive yourself and keep moving forward. Even if it's way way more slowly than you would like just keep moving forward. I find that looking at the other members weight loss numbers really inspires me. They don't have the same challenges as me, (and I don't have the same challenges as them), but they're doing it. They're sticking to their desire to become thinner or healthier or whatever and they're working it.

I wish you all the luck in the world. I wish peace and success and acceptance and patience to you and everyone else in this site--including myself....
  • miriamtorason
    Options
    Thanks, ladies, I do appreciate the encouragement!

I am learning how better to get food into me, and now that shopping day is neigh (tomorrow!), I'm going to be nabbing a bunch of different snack-type foods as well as the three-squares kinds. This way I can try to keep myself eating a lot of little things and not hit 7:30 with 1000+ calories to go through (which is currently a regular occurrence!). I think that going forward, that will help significantly more than almost anything since figuring out I'd been under-eating for over SIX YEARS (holy WOW is that a long time!).

At the immediate end of the workout, I'm wiped. I just want to sit. I want to stretch, sit and have a very large drink of whatever is very cold. However, about fifteen minutes or so later, I'm more alert, more focused, and much more ready to "face the day" - even if the feeling comes after a workout in the evening. So I think I'm hopefully doing alright there. It's hard. It's *really* hard. Especially since after chasing a toddler all day, the last thing I want to do is try to run or do sit-ups/push-ups with him under foot or on my back. o.O;; But... I'm going. I do it, I'm keeping at it, and I'm looking at it like I look at birth - you can do this, Mama. You ARE doing this!

I think that once the next two weeks are done (we shop in two-week increments), I will have a better idea of how to balance meals out - what I need to eat more and less of, and hopefully how to accomplish that. At this point, I'm looking at this as sort of a stair-step challenge - weeks 1&2, eat enough calories, no matter how they go in. weeks 3&4, turn from three square meals to meals plus snacks in an effort to not be throwing whatever I can in at the end of the day to meet goals. weeks 5&6+, all things before, plus better balancing. Maybe this way I'll not only be able to get my metabolism back, but I'll also be able to start losing weight. I'm hopeful. I'm also hoping that by taking this in chunks, and not in one Big Lifechanging Event, I'll be able to stick with it - it will seem like less of a daunting task, and therefore much more accomplish-able.

Here's hoping! ^_^