Coffee makes you fat? what?

Options
I drink about a cup or two of coffee per day when I wake up and sometimes in the afternoon when I am bored and don't want to snack. I use a 0 calorie Sucralose sugar alternative, and Nestle Coffeemate sugar free Creamy Chocolate creamer. My coffee ends up being around 60 calories or less.

I was bored, and googled some articles about coffee and how it affects your health. Bad idea. I saw a few articles about how coffee can make you gain fat. Not water weight, like just gain fat. Even plain black coffee...?

Is that true? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    That seems unlikely.

It may be that coffee drinkers are heavier on average which could point to some other factor that affects both, such as insufficient sleep (which is know to contribute to and be caused by obesity).

If you share the research you found we could critique.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I drink at least a cup a day and it hasn't affected me. However, depending on what you put in it and where you go (I.e. Starbucks), you can easily drink away half your calorie allotment.
  • mylovelyremedy
    Options
    I drink at least a cup a day and it hasn't affected me. However, depending on what you put in it and where you go (I.e. Starbucks), you can easily drink away half your calorie allotment.

Aint that the truth. I went to Starbucks with my mom and got a Frappuccino, hello 400+ calories. Could have eaten a meal instead!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There is evidence that moderate to high caffeine intake can negatively impact cortisol levels, so it is possible that a secondary link exists. It is unlikely to make a meaningful difference in burn rates, but "more than zero" is still something.

Bottom line - even though it is legal and generally accepted by most societies, caffeine is a psychoactive drug. Understand what it can (and can't) do to you, and use your judgement in how you use it.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 cups a day. There is nothing in black coffee that could cause a person to gain fat.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I drink 20 oz of black coffee a day. It generally helps me from wanting to snack on anything in the morning before lunchtime. I don't know the specifics of the studies the article was talking about, but it likely could just mean they found a correlation between drinking coffee and fat gain, but not causation. Lots of variables in between.

Don't sweat it, and drink up!
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 cups a day and it's an important part of my diet. It acts as an appetite suppressant for me, so I use it in lieu of breakfast and as an afternoon snack. I take it with 3 artifical sweeteners and 3 creamers (or 2 tablespoons of creamer) and I've lost 11 lbs in 2 months. So. You know. Whatever.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    I drink about a cup or two of coffee per day when I wake up and sometimes in the afternoon when I am bored and don't want to snack. I use a 0 calorie Sucralose sugar alternative, and Nestle Coffeemate sugar free Creamy Chocolate creamer. My coffee ends up being around 60 calories or less.

I was bored, and googled some articles about coffee and how it affects your health. Bad idea. I saw a few articles about how coffee can make you gain fat. Not water weight, like just gain fat. Even plain black coffee...?

Is that true? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Increased coffee intake. Lost weight. I defy these googley articles. BAH!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Maybe the 6 doughnuts with every cup may be the culprit?
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have one cup every morning.....
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I drink up to 5 cups a day sometimes! I am not fat. Calorie surplus makes people gain weight.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Too many of my skinny, sedentary geek friends guzzled a pot of coffee every day for me to buy this. Not without a serious stack of peer reviewed studies, anyway. One of them was such a freak of nature he was all wiry muscle and shoveled in more junkfood than I did when we were dating.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    total bull**** It does the opposite if anything. I drink tons of coffee, it helps keep hunger away plus gives energy and antioxidants.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'm ashamed of my coffee habit....wait, what? Nowai. I couldn't survive a day with my crazy kids without some coffee. I even put creamer in it!
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Nothing besides excess calories can make someone gain fat. It doesn't matter what it is (cortisol levels, medications, etc). I put 12 packets of sugar in my cup of 16 oz coffee twice daily (130 calories each time, so 260 calories total in coffee for the day) and I am a fit, thin ultramarathoner.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I had four cups this morning and a double shot of espresso in the afternoon, I don't log it if it's black coffee. This is everyday, give or take a cup or two. I have been losing. I can have a cup of coffee and go right to sleep. I just love the taste. It also curbs my appetite, and it's free at work and free coffee is so tasty!!!:drinker:
  • crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I could see it if they were talking about what people add to it. I know that I'm putting in a ton of calories to my coffee (flavored full fat creamer*) but I count it and make sure it cycles into my day.

*It needs to be full fat because my stomach goes through strange hoops otherwise. Then we're talking about a whole nother way of losing weight.