High Volume Low Calorie Meal Ideas?

Options
124»

Replies

• icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    The best thing I've found is to have a huge glass of water while I'm cooking dinner, then another one with dinner. All that water gives me the full/stuffed feeling I need to naturally stop eating without stuffing myself full of actual food.

Quite effective, especially as the ease the body can easily mistake hunger for dehydration sometimes. That said, drinking water they say is best at least 15 mins before you eat, and at least an hour after you eat, as excess liquid when you're eating can dilute the digestive enzymes in your stomach, and affect how well your body extracts the nutrients from food, at least from what I read in the past.
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Baked Chicken tenderloins with a big plate of steamed veggies with a bit of butter and parm cheese.
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    becomingbeautifultoday Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Get that fake pasta! I think the brand I've got it Slendier. The pasta is like a clearish white, and the texture is a little off, but it allows you to have a full plate of pasta and sauce, but the pasta itself has essentially no calories. Once you get used to them, they're great!
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump. love the recipe ideas :flowerforyou:

I substitute spaghetti squash for pasta whenever I can - traditional spaghetti type meals or alfredo. Also the soups mentioned above - really filling, easy to make and always lots of leftovers.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,937 Member
    Options
    Meringue! Cookies made from Meringue!
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Well I am currently REALLY full of dinner and ate over an hour ago. I had a Thai green vegetable curry with rice.

The curry was made from a bought curry paste, a tin of coconut milk (yes, it's high in calories but the rest of the ingredients were so low in calories that it worked out OK), an aubergine, a red pepper, about 200g asparagus, 12 baby sweetcorns, 100g frozen soya beans, some vegetable stock, a dash of lime juice and fish sauce.

Split between 2, this was a massive plate of food. I'd cooked 100g sticky rice (50g each) but ended up giving more than half to my boyfriend so probably only had about 40g rice!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Red cabbage is one of the healthiest veggies around. 1/4 head of cabbage, depending on size, makes 3 to 4 cups of shredded cabbage. Add a couple tablespoons of a relish like chow-chow or sweet pickle relish, a couple tablespoons of mayonnaise and a couple tablespoons of plain fat free yogurt and you have big servings of delicious slaw for 2 to 4 people. Slaw made this way is only about 310 calories for the whole 2-4 serving bowl. And it's jam-packed with important nutrients!

I tend to shred the cabbage (with a mandoline) rather than chop it so I have to chew it. Chewing what you eat gives your brain a chance to enjoy what you are eating before you eat too much.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    In for the good ideas. Thanks, OP.
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fish, chicken, and tons of greens!!!
  • Hmdoe
    Hmdoe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hungrygirl.com has tons of recipes online and cookbooks that focus on larger, satisfying meals but still healthy!