What should I eat if I have diarrhoea?

Options
Sorry for the crappy question... :wink:

But what can I eat that won't make it worse?

To add...I don't have any intolerance so this is likely not caused by something like that but probably just a bug or something I ate that may not have been too fresh ect.

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    B.R.A.T. diet

bananas
    rice
    applesauce
    toast
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on the root cause ... but Foods high in Fibre would probably be best.... maybe you're not eating enough fibre to start with? - Worth checking.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get lots of water too.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    B.R.A.T. diet

bananas
    rice
    applesauce
    toast

I second this.
  • spinneyhex
    spinneyhex Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yep, rice and bananas
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    The B.R.A.T. diet and make sure you get your electrolytes + fluids! I just had it for about a month and ended up in the hospital, because my potassium - sodium levels were too low and I was dehydrated.
  • Tal_Kyrte
    Tal_Kyrte Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yogurt. And drink black or Earl Grey tea. I don't remember what it is exactly, but something with the bacteria helps stop the diarrhea.

I had a really bad case for over a week a few months back. :P I finally googled what foods to eat, and these two were the only things that got it to stop.
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    Sounds like salt is important. Maybe I can eat some marmite? If I can eat rice, I should be able to eat other carby things too right? Like bread, pretzels (for the salt) and crackers?
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    The B.R.A.T. diet and make sure you get your electrolytes + fluids! I just had it for about a month and ended up in the hospital, because my potassium - sodium levels were too low and I was dehydrated.

Wow a whole month? No way I get stressed out on day 3 if it isn't better then go see a dr. You have some courage! Lol
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    B.R.A.T. diet

bananas
    rice
    applesauce
    toast

This! Feel better soon!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get lots of water too.

you need to replace lost fluids first and foremost., anything you eat is likely just going to antagonise the situation, this is from a person that suffers IBS and use to suffer constipation and IBS atleast every few days.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sounds like salt is important. Maybe I can eat some marmite? If I can eat rice, I should be able to eat other carby things too right? Like bread, pretzels (for the salt) and crackers?

Yes.
    Rice seems to have some special qualities. Is the Marmite very low fat? If not, eat only a little.
    Also this:
    oatmeal, bananas, plain rice, and applesauce,
    Boiled potatoes Toast Plain crackers such as saltines Pretzels
    Baked chicken without any skin or fat
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options

Yes.
    Rice seems to have some special qualities. Is the Marmite very low fat? If not, eat only a little.
    Also this:
    oatmeal, bananas, plain rice, and applesauce,
    Boiled potatoes Toast Plain crackers such as saltines Pretzels
    Baked chicken without any skin or fat

Yes marmite is yeast extract. It's VERY salty like 313mg for 1 teaspoon. And 0.0g fat
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Dioralyte is your best bet, mix a sachet with water and it's designed to rehydrate you properly with salts etc..

Bovril?, it's basically marmite that disolves in hot water to make a nice drink!.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    B.R.A.T. diet

bananas
    rice
    applesauce
    toast

this...
  • kaniob
    kaniob Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Start with bland, starchy foods: bread, crackers, rice, boiled potatoes, oatmeal, bananas. Gradually return to normal diet. Avoid milk products, raw high-fiber fruits and veggies, and fried/oily/spicy food until diarrhea has stopped.

Lots of fluids. Hydration is key, so water is great. But with diarrhea, you lose more than water. Gatorate or oral rehydration salts (ORS) will help replace electrolytes. Avoid caffeine and alcohol...they'll make it worse. Unless you're super dehydrated (dark amber or brown urine), ORS isn't a great option because it tastes awful. But if you need it, it tastes great. Not sure where you can buy mix (I live in Zambia and you can buy it anywhere lol), but ask around at a pharmacy. If you can't find any, you can make it. To make oral rehydration salts: 1L boiled water, 2 tbsp honey or sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda, a bit of fruit juice or banana puree (optional, to add potassium).
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    and drink some coke. yes we all know how bad it is, but obviously its also bad for the bacteria, it allways helps me with stomach bugs
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

I am CURED! hehe :happy:
  • ChrisJMellor
    Options
    Depends on what the cause is and how long it's been going on for...

If it's a 24 hour bug - suggest to eat nothing, only drink water (and surprisingly a bit of coca-cola). Basically, your body is trying to get rid of something - let it out and don't take anything to keep it in.

If it's been going on for longer than 24 hours, it's really smelly or there is blood in there - seek medical advice!

If it's related to food (e.g. in my case - sugar/high carbs can cause IBS/diarrhea) - again - let it pass.

In all cases though - stay hydrated and think about the cause. If you are in doubt or there is blood - seek medical advice. And make sure you have something good to read;)