Do you know how much water you should be drinking?

Options
Ever wonder how much water you should be drinking per day? I know I have. You always hear the same thing,"Drink lots of water!" How much is "lots" of water? The answer is finally here. I will use myself as an example to explain how you will be able to find out how much water you should be drinking. I weigh 177lbs. This means I need to drink 177 ounces of water per day. 177 ounces is equivalent to 5 liters of water, and 5 liters of water is equal to 22 (8oz.) cups of water. This is just the basic amount of water I should be drinking per day. Since I usually work out twice a day my body needs more water...which is perfectly fine. Now we know how much is "lots" of water. Start drinking!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I just drink when I'm thirsty
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a LOT! Do you include the water that's in the food you eat? Because that makes up for a lot of your fluid intake.

If I was to follow your formula, I'd spend all day in the bathroom.
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated. I drink sips throughout the day, making sure I get at least 8 or 9 cups of liquid a day. I don't record exactly the amount I get. You have to remember that you also get liquid from your food.

Here are a couple calculators to help you determine the amount you should be getting. Subtract a cup or more, for food eaten...it depends on what kind of food you eat.

http://www.slenderkitchen.com/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink-a-day/#

http://waterintakecalculator.com/
  • ElizIvory
    ElizIvory Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    OP not sure where you heard that from O.o;

According to the Mayo clinic which is generally backed up by quite a bit of research. A female that is relatively healthy that is in a temprant climate should consume about 2 liters a day or around 9 cups

Now working out, you'd want to up it, but again you must take into accord the water in your food and other liquids you drink.

Here is the link to their article.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    OP I drink around the same amount of water as you. I just feel so much better when I am super hydrated.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    4 ounces per hour is what's taught in SERE school, seems to work just fine, on the other hand, during BUD/s it's easily four times that amount in addition to whatever pool/ocean water you inadvertently swallow throughout the day. Five liters per day is a lot of water, too much in my opinion.

Rigger
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I heard you're supposed to drink half your body weight in ounces of water. I weigh 160, so 80oz of water. I just drink at least 3 25 oz bottles everyday and that seems to work for me.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Okay. To rephrase 'I just think when I'm thirsty' (as most of us don't actually mean 'thirsty'). I just drink when I instinctively reach for water.

Kids seem to know to do this. Somewhere between being a kid, being a teenager, and being an adult... we often just forget for some reason.
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    5 Litres is way too much water for one person. If you drink that much water you will flush out electrolytes, which makes you unwell. You should drink regularly so that you don't feel dry. You should also gauge by the colour of your urine: if it's dark, drink more and aim for straw colour. If your urine is almost completely clear, you're drinking too much.
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options
    I am also doing the same. I noticed that it really helps me in losing weight. So i am increasing my capacity of drinking water everyday.

Currently i am drinking 5-6 liters of water everyday. 3-4 liters of water in office hours and other 2-3 lters in the morning, post and pre - workout. I know i spend most of my time in bathroom. But its completely fine if i am losing weight :laugh: