Will I gain weight if I completely stop going to gym?

Options
Okay, I was maintaining my weight before I join gym, and now I have to stop going to gym. Will I gain weight?
I always ate my exercise calories back which is 300 so if I cut those cals will i be fine? I will probably be sedentary

Replies

• oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You'll gain weight if you take in more calories than you burn, regardless of where you burn (or don't burn) the calories.
  • feelingstressed
    Options
    so you are saying as long as i dont go over my calorie limit I will be fine?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If you stick to your pre-exercise calorie goal then you should be fine.

But I have to ask why you would stop exercising? Exercise has many more benefits than just burning calories so even if you cannot go to the gym find some other exercise you can incorporate into your day.
  • feelingstressed
    Options
    Thank yuo KarenJanine :)

I will literally have no time for exercise my school will start so I will have a lot of work to do and I'm coming home at 6pm..Plus We will be moving to another house where I cant go cycling or walking(it wont be safe)..
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I will literally have no time for exercise my school will start so I will have a lot of work to do and I'm coming home at 6pm..Plus We will be moving to another house where I cant go cycling or walking(it wont be safe)..

Have a look at home, bodyweight workouts. Many MFPers recommend this book: http://amzn.to/1kLa5ZT
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lot's of people lose weight and or maintain without exercise at all just by being in a deficit.
  • 32daisies
    32daisies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question. My husband is worried about the same thing -- he's an accountant, and when tax season starts, he barely has time to have a five-minute conversation with me, let alone exercise. He's worried that he'll stop losing or gain during those two months or so. I told him he'll just have fewer calories to eat each day.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Okay, I was maintaining my weight before I join gym, and now I have to stop going to gym. Will I gain weight?
    I always ate my exercise calories back which is 300 so if I cut those cals will i be fine? I will probably be sedentary

You will gain weight if you eat more than you need.

Exercise really isn't required to lose weight....or maintain.
    All comes down to calories consumed
  • feelingstressed
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your answers, I am feeling better now since I dont worry about gaining weight :)
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Lot's of people lose weight and or maintain without exercise at all just by being in a deficit.

This.

Apparently OP you're new to MFP? so you didn't lose and maintain, using MFP, correct?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Figure out a way to get some exercise! It's so important to health, and generally a very good predictor of weight loss maintenance. Even putting on a pedometer and making sure to work up to 10,000 steps per day.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Just keep monitoring your weight and tracking what you eat. If you see the scale move up, cut more calories.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My year is typically imbalanced (August is a wonderful month for me for both conscious meal-planning and getting to the gym). September, less so. Just remember that there's always a bank holiday here and a weekend there.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    "I won't have time." Is just another excuse. If it's important to you, you will MAKE the time. I used to be a Chef. I worked 14 days on a regular basis, came home put ice packs on my back and knee, took pain medicine just so I could get to sleep then woke up the next morning and did it again. However, I still MADE time to run a daily 5k (in the morning before work) or spend an hour doing body weight exercises or training martial arts, etc.

There is a truth to human behavior: "People DO what they want to do and DON'T do what they don't want to do." It comes down to your will. If you really WANT to work out, you will find a way.

But to answer your question: if you lower your calorie intake in relation to your activity, you can maintain on diet alone. It is a hell of a lot harder and requires much more diligence, but it is possible.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If your activity level goes down and you consume the same calories you were before then you will gain weight. If you start working out less reduce your calorie intake to compensate.

Ever wonder why some former athletes put on a ton of weight, like the dudes who played high school football but then you see the blob at your next high school reunion?

At the end of the day your diet is made in the kitchen, not the gym. The gym helps, but it is not a requirement, maintaining the correct calorie intake appropriate to your goal is.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would recommend trying to find time to do SOMETHING for working out. If not, pay very close attention to what you are consuming. I find that when I am on a break from running for whatever that reason might be, I end up making really crappy food choices.
  • feelingstressed
    Options
    "I won't have time." Is just another excuse. If it's important to you, you will MAKE the time. I used to be a Chef. I worked 14 days on a regular basis, came home put ice packs on my back and knee, took pain medicine just so I could get to sleep then woke up the next morning and did it again. However, I still MADE time to run a daily 5k (in the morning before work) or spend an hour doing body weight exercises or training martial arts, etc.

There is a truth to human behavior: "People DO what they want to do and DON'T do what they don't want to do." It comes down to your will. If you really WANT to work out, you will find a way.

But to answer your question: if you lower your calorie intake in relation to your activity, you can maintain on diet alone. It is a hell of a lot harder and requires much more diligence, but it is possible.

Yes you are right i dont really want to go to the gym anymore. It really stress me and my body, i feel like its a burden. I'm no longer having fun there. I'm planning on cutting back my calories to before exercise
  • 32daisies
    32daisies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Of course it's important to exercise whenever you can. And in general, we make time for what we want to make time for. But life sometimes intervenes. Maybe you're stuck on a train commuting most of the day, or in classes, or your health prevents you from certain activity. Yes, there are still things you can do at home and in between and even sitting on the train, and so on, and you should do them, but in all likelihood it's not going to earn you back the same kind of calories you might be used to getting from higher-intensity workouts. If you've been logging 400-700 calories of exercise a day, even if you find time to fit in some low-impact stuff, you're going to feel the pinch.

But you can do it -- and it's all a trade off, after all, time vs. food, really. I look at it as, if I can't find time to work out, I can't find time to eat. :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    so you are saying as long as i dont go over my calorie limit I will be fine?

Yes. But see if you can slip in some walking instead. It's just good for you.