Yoghurt

Options
UK based people whats the lowest calorie yoghurt to eat??

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jx

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's a mistake to focus purely on calories - any "diet" or low-fat versions will have other chemicals or sugars added to them.

I go for natural yoghurt - the locally made Clandeboye one is lovely, or else Fage Greek yoghurt. Add your own berries or other flavourings.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat yeo valley full fat natural and add frozen berries to it ...filling and nutritious for the calories

I sometimes eat Total 0% Greek Yogurt too but you save something like 20 cals on 100g
  • foggy73
    foggy73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love natural yoghurt but these fat free ones seem to load up with sugar so they can keep the 'fat free' sticker while tasting 'nice'. I have lost my sweet tooth since I've (mostly) sorted out my nutrition and don't need sugar added!

Anyway the Tesco Greek one has a bit less than others and M&S do an unsweetened low fat one
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    When I buy yoghurt, I get the fat-free Fage and put fruit in it. Mmmmmm...
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    It's a mistake to focus purely on calories - any "diet" or low-fat versions will have other chemicals or sugars added to them.

I go for natural yoghurt - the locally made Clandeboye one is lovely, or else Fage Greek yoghurt. Add your own berries or other flavourings.

Great answer
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Instead of aiming for something simply because it is low calorie, why not find the yoghurt that has the best nutritional profile for the calories?

Fage Total 0% is only 57 cal per 100 g and contains a whopping 10.3 g of protein. I like it topped with runny honey and blueberries.

If you're looking for ready-flavoured yoghurts, the Weight Watchers ones are probably lowest cal but I don't like the after taste from all the artifical sweeteners. I do like the Muller Light Greek style ones, which are around 90 cal per pot and around 7 g of protein.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

Great answer

Agreed. I use the Total Fage as it has such a creamy taste and texture and is delicious with fresh fruit or just a few grams of honey or syrup. Cheap breakfast calorifically.
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options

Great answer

Agreed. I use the Total Fage as it has such a creamy taste and texture and is delicious with fresh fruit or just a few grams of honey or syrup. Cheap breakfast calorifically.

I just got onto Total Fage myself. I have to 0% fat 170g tub and mix a couple of scoops of whey protein in it.
    Great start to your day nutrition wise.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have full fat fage greek yoghurt it is tasty and it's only 96 cals per 100g which isn't too bad and the 0% is loaded with sugar. I add raspberries or blueberries and sometimes have it just on it's own because it's tasty.

I also have frubes and stick them in the freezer as they make a nice alternative to ice cream in the summer. :)
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    I have full fat fage greek yoghurt it is tasty and it's only 96 cals per 100g which isn't too bad and the 0% is loaded with sugar. I add raspberries or blueberries and sometimes have it just on it's own because it's tasty.

I also have frubes and stick them in the freezer as they make a nice alternative to ice cream in the summer. :)

4g of sugar per 100g is loaded?

Each to their goals I guess..
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am loving the weight watchers british dessert style yogurts at the moment.
    They taste great and are no more then 65 calories. Great for a snack.
  • juneduggan1981
    juneduggan1981 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks all I really do appreciate your advice, I am trying to make good choices not just for calorie content but its all a learning curve for me as I have just started.

I really like the fage yoghurt so think will stick to getting that one and add fruit to it

Thanks again everyone x