*Tears*Help why did I gain 2 lbs in 1day

Options

Replies

• Bsexi88
    Bsexi88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I'm feeling confident that I am doing the right thing. This is why I love mfp it's like a virtual family ????
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    I won't give up it just makes me question if I'm doing something wrong? I started I will see it through. Maybe I should have my daughter hide the batteries to the scale????

I usually weigh same time every morning when my body is empty

Yes loose the batteries!!! lol

Duh, Why have I never thought of hiding the batteries, I always hide the whole damn scale :laugh:
  • derik999
    derik999 Posts: 73
    Options
    Weighing yourself daily is a surefire way to stress yourself, especially with these fluctuations. Try every couple weeks.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You didn't
  • kika_mckee
    kika_mckee Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you may want to start looking at sodium content, that can cause water retention.
  • DeliD25
    DeliD25 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You're eating way too much.
    At your height and weight, 1800 calories is too much if your goal is weight loss.

I looked at your diary and this poster is right. Too many calories and I would add too much processed food. Processed food is high in sodium which will cause water retention. But you need more of a deficit in your caloric intake.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
  • babymamahowell
    Options
    I step on the scales most days and it can be very frustrating but also motivating. THis week has been frustrating as the scale has only moved .8 pounds, but since I feel like all I want to do is eat I know it is almost that time of the month, which is when I do avoid the scale because it is very frustrating to continue to exercise and eat well and the scale jumps 7 pounds in a week. So just keep plugging along taking one day at a time, relishing in small victories, like yesterday I ate some rice cakes instead of a doughnut....that was a small victory. Gook luck!
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! Daily body fluctuations are completely normal and expected! Not too long ago I went up almost 5lbs in one day! There are many things that can contribute to the slight movements. Obviously I did not gain 5 lbs of fat over night. And it went away rapidly over the following few days. Definitely stay away from the scale as that number does not define you! You're doing great, keep it up and although it's tough try not to weigh too often to avoid being discouraged!
    As my doctor explained it to me. "How would you like it if every morning your husband woke you up and said "Hi honey, you weigh 160lbs". Doesn't sound pleasant does it? So don't let the scale do it either! Best wishes!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight, 1800 calories is too much if your goal is weight loss.

I looked at your diary and this poster is right. Too many calories and I would add too much processed food. Processed food is high in sodium which will cause water retention. But you need more of a deficit in your caloric intake.

As far as calories, not necessarily.

I'm 5'3.5" 120 lbs and lose weight at 1800....

Sure, more sodium means more water retention but that's not the end all to weight loss. You'll still lose over time. Just have to accept that due to fluctuations it's not going to be a straight downward trend.

I'm always one to advocate taking weight loss slow to maintain muscle mass and to not be hangry. So, if she can lose on this intake, DO IT
  • arnostbilej
    Options
    Please stop weighing yourself every day and stick with a once-a-week routine. As others have pointed out, your weight will inevitably fluctuate on a day-to-day basis and it's perfectly normal because you are not made out of inert material.

As an example - this week, I hopped on a scale first thing in the morning and registered 168.2 pounds. I went ahead and had some coffee, drank about a liter of water, and weighed myself again - 171 pounds. Your hydration level, water retention, etc. will have an effect and can't serve as a basis for getting depressed. Focus on a downward trend in your weight and celebrate your successes, rather than crying over an insignificant and most likely non-existent day-to-day weight gain. Good luck!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Nope - both wrong regarding calorie intake. Don't know OP's age but at her weight & height and even assuming sedentary her TDEE is around 2100 so 1800 would result in a slow steady loss of around 0.8lbs a week on average. Add in exercise and the deficit gets bigger (assuming not all exercise cals are eaten back.

I'm 41, 5'6" and 179lbs and eating 2100 cals a day and losing on average 1.2lbs a week as my TDEE is around 2800. 1800 is a quite sensible calorie amount for slow lost without feeling hungry or deprived.

I'd agree about the processed food & sodium content though. OP either eat a few more home cokked meals or drink plenty of water each day to flush out excess salt and reduce water retention.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day will make you crazy.

Did you eat 7000+ extra calories over the course of the day? No? Didn't think so. Then you most certainly did not gain 2 lbs of fat in a day.

Weigh once a week, or less. If you insist on weighing yourself more, do NOT freak out about slight gains as it could be water, poop or even where your scale is placed in your house.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    The numbers on the scale can be frustrating, but here's how I coped with it during weight loss (and to some degree even now):
    1. Try to weigh the same time every day...upon waking up, after restroom, no clothes
    2. The weight loss or gain doesn't count unless/until it's stuck for three days.
    3. Be patient, changes in exercise plan can change the way your body stores water, etc.,
    If you're doing the right things...underestimating exercise calories burned, overestimating food calorie intake, and you're in a deficit, you will lose weight over time. I had weeks where I would lose nothing or even seem to gain a pound, then two weeks later show a 2-3 pound loss that stuck. Keep doing the right things, and eventually, the scale will reflect it!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't freak out over 2 lbs in 1 day. Your weight will fluctuate like that. Heck, take a poop and you might lose that weight back.

Second of all, you might be over estimating your exercise calories. Don't listen to other people, a calorie intake of 1800 is NOT TOO MUCH especially if you are exercising. However, MFP tends to over estimate exercise calories so it may be beneficial to calculate your TDEE and eat less than that (10%-20% less). Include your usual exercise routine when calculating and do not eat exercise calories back. For example, I'll still log my workout but only put 1 calorie burned so I don't eat it back.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Third of all, be patient! Look at your weight loss weekly or monthly vs. daily.
  • Bsexi88
    Options
    I get no weighing myself every day. As far as my calorie intake isn't about net calories and not total calories bc I thought Net is what your body consumes. My caloric intake is 1430 so idk where someone got 1800 from unless they're counting total calories consumed.

I eat what I like I'm not the cleanest eater and probably never will be but I can dial down on my sodium
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention!
  • Bsexi88
    Options
    I also wear an HRM and round down if I think the calorie looks a bit off. I'm 26 I have no idea what Tdee is I tried to look it up I guess I need a simple answer to what it is and a link to a good Tdee calculator
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't liner. I fluctuate anywhere from 3 to 5lbs at any given time of the day. Don't only use the scale as your only metric of success.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My advice? Stop letting the scale dictate your success. I look for NSV (non-scale victories) such as "my clothes feel loose". Give it some time. Patience! :)

ETA: measure yourself (arms, bust, waist, hips, thighs) now, and then again in 6-8 weeks (when it's not "that time of the month"). That's the numbers that should be important!