What's up with people eating Gluten Free ?

Options

Replies

• AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have a good amount of friends who are gluten free. Some have to due to medical reasons. The eat it and feel like death the rest of the day. Some do it because it's the new thing. The thing I ALWAYS find funny is that all of my friends who are gluten free because of serious health issues HATE HATE HATE the fact that they are. They find it to be a pain. And even more sometimes eat it because they feel it will be worth the ickiness they will have to deal with later.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    You do realize glutens not bad for you unless you have celiac disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXjpb7SFi3s

You do realize I do not have celiac disease, but since eliminating wheat from my diet, the pain from RA has reduced by about 80%, I'm off my medication for acid reflux, my twice weekly migraines have been completely eliminated and my doctor took me completely off my thyroid medication revealing a completely NORMAL thyroid panel.... Also, I used to suffer with bouts of vertigo and tennitus... now the vertigo is completely gone and the tennitus is still there but significantly reduced.

So I don't know if it's specifically "gluten" or some other component in wheat, but yeah, I avoid wheat and often rely on "gluten free" alternatives to allow me to have those occasional treats such as pizza.

Thanks for the advice sport, but I think I'll stick with my "fad diet".

I obviously don't know your full story but do you think some of that might have to do with the fact that you lost 119 lbs (congrats) and not necessarily because of gluten avoidance?

Not an unreasonable question.. but NOPE, I realized the benefits of going wheat-free prior to losing the weight. Once I went wheat-free and actually started to feel better, I was able to start focusing on my weightloss.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    What's up with people like you giving a *kitten*?
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    m52br21.png?1
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    The gluten free trend that is consumer driven is still in it's growth stage and will benefit people that actually have celiac or have some intolerance (diagnosed) for the rest it's fashionable and expensive, which is another way of saying, sheep will get sheared.

so much of this.

I see a lot of my acquaintances going gluten free with hopes & dreams of magical weight loss and health improvements that have yet to occur.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    It's a current fad, a majority of people jumping on the bandwagon don't even know what gluten is (a protein).
    But yes, since it is a protein it's possible to be allergic to it. Very few people actually are.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/14/gluten-intolerance-fake_n_5327420.html
    Gluten Intolerance May Be Completely Fake: Study
    If you're not celiac, you're probably not gluten intolerant...
    Subjects reported worsening gastrointestinal symptoms no matter which diet they consumed...
    The results from the study were published in Gastroenterology, the official journal of the American Gastroenterological Association, last year.

They're complemented by recent statements from food writer Michael Pollan, who told HuffPost Live this week that gluten-free diets are more of a fad than a necessary lifestyle change for people who are not celiac.

"Gluten, I think it's a bit of a social contagion," he said.

"There are a lot of people that hear from their friends, 'I got off gluten and I sleep better, the sex is better, and I'm happier,' and then they try it and they feel better, too. The power of suggestion."

Here's the report, from Real Clear Science
    http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/gluten_sensitivity_may_not_exist.html
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    I am in that gluten doesn't bother me side of things. My dad has RA, I have thyroid disease. I was told of the magical wonders of gluten free curing my thyroid and making my joints and all that other stuff better. I went gluten free for 6 months. I didn't notice a difference off it. When I went back I didn't notice a difference.

Do what works for you. Me and gluten...we be buds :)

I'm sorry you didn't find relief due to eliminating gluten. I'm glad you gave it a try though! I was up to I think 150mcg of synthroid (not positive of the does, I could be wrong) and now I'm completely off of synthroid and all those muscle aches and foggy head that comes with having thyroid issues are GONE. Unfortunately I'm likely in the minority in finding a "cure" because my thyroid was not yet damaged and also because I had a whole host of issues that were ALL either cured or significantly reduced when I went off wheat which really makes it pretty obvious that all of my issues were interrelated and that somehow wheat was the trigger. I would NEVER tout going wheat free or gluten free as a magic cure for thyroid disorders, RA, Vertigo, Acid Reflux , or migraines. It's very unfair for anyone to tell you that "all you have to do is quit wheat and you'll cure your thyroid" because unfortunately, those of us who make a miraculous recovery are in the minority... I do share my experience with others suffering from the same issues I had and will usually make a suggestion to give wheat free a try to see if it might help but I try not to set the expectation of a miracle cure.

Since the wheat doesn't affect you, PLEASE enjoy some for me.. I MISS it
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I have Celiacs and was told to stay away from gluten years ago. Whatever man, you can't tell me what to do. I eat what I want. I'm not going to be scared by a slice of bread. :laugh:

I wonder if the doctor will have the last laugh when you get into serious trouble! Being stubborn is one thing, but this is far beyond stubbornness.

I have had celiac for years already, without knowing it. I don't even want to tell you the health troubles I am in now! But believe me, it aint pretty! But just go ahead and ignore your health, sooner or later it catches up on you!
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When I indulge in bread, pasta, or anything else wheat intensive, I am craving more carbs ALL day. I just personally do better without it, and avoid when feasible.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    I have Celiacs and was told to stay away from gluten years ago. Whatever man, you can't tell me what to do. I eat what I want. I'm not going to be scared by a slice of bread. :laugh:

I wonder if the doctor will have the last laugh when you get into serious trouble! Being stubborn is one thing, but this is far beyond stubbornness.

I have had celiac for years already, without knowing it. I don't even want to tell you the health troubles I am in now! But believe me, it aint pretty! But just go ahead and ignore your health, sooner or later it will catch up on you!
  • Wilhellmina
    Options

I have had celiac for years already, without knowing it. I don't even want to tell you the health troubles I am in now! But believe me, it aint pretty! But just go ahead and ignore your health, sooner or later it will catch up on you!
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    I have a good amount of friends who are gluten free. Some have to due to medical reasons. The eat it and feel like death the rest of the day. Some do it because it's the new thing. The thing I ALWAYS find funny is that all of my friends who are gluten free because of serious health issues HATE HATE HATE the fact that they are. They find it to be a pain. And even more sometimes eat it because they feel it will be worth the ickiness they will have to deal with later.

I can't tell you HOW MUCH I MISS WHEAT!!!!!! When I first decided to do an elimination diet to see if something I was eating might be contributing to my autoimmune diseases, I was convinced that maybe I'd have a problem with Dairy or eggs. I was prepared to give up dairy and eggs forever. I was absolutely horrified when I discovered that instead my symptoms were exacerbated by my beloved wheat! It's only the memory of how miserable I was before that keeps me on the straight and narrow.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    There was a more recent study than this link- I heard it I believe on NPR but I really can't remember....anyhow gluten sensitivity has been completely debunked by the SAME scientists who initially made the finding that it exists. It doesn't. They redid their studies more accurately and found errors. There is now conclusive proof that there is no such thing. In the absense of celiac, there is no such thing as gluten sensitivity.

That being said, certain foods can make a person feel crappy for whatever reason. Some things make me gassy, whatever. Don't eat something if it makes you feel gross. Also, certain foods may make it harder for you to lose weight. Preferences are totally valid. But be careful not to minimize the struggles of people suffering from a real disease because you have hopped onto some fad.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/05/gluten-sensitivity-does-not-exist-in-absence-of-celiac-study-confirms/
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Oops, my post appeared 3 times??? Wrong button I fear? Sorry for that! :smile:
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    When I indulge in bread, pasta, or anything else wheat intensive, I am craving more carbs ALL day. I just personally do better without it, and avoid when feasible.

This is TOTALLY valid and I think highlights my point....what you're describing is a completely valid preference. But it is not "gluten sensitivity." Its awesome that you recognize the difference, it irritates me when people do not.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've been told by professionals that if you go gluten free without medically needing to, it can be bad for your health.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    They probably have a gluten intolerance.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,977 Member
    Options
    There was a more recent study than this link- I heard it I believe on NPR but I really can't remember....anyhow gluten sensitivity has been completely debunked by the SAME scientists who initially made the finding that it exists. It doesn't. They redid their studies more accurately and found errors. There is now conclusive proof that there is no such thing. In the absense of celiac, there is no such thing as gluten sensitivity.

That being said, certain foods can make a person feel crappy for whatever reason. Some things make me gassy, whatever. Don't eat something if it makes you feel gross. Also, certain foods may make it harder for you to lose weight. Preferences are totally valid. But be careful not to minimize the struggles of people suffering from a real disease because you have hopped onto some fad.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/05/gluten-sensitivity-does-not-exist-in-absence-of-celiac-study-confirms/
    It doesn't matter, cause Aliens.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options

It doesn't matter, cause Aliens.

Fair enough. replying because I want that little pup in your photo!
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't care if people don't eat gluten for a real reason, but the amount of young women going into restaurants and saying their food must be gluten free because to them it's a fad is enough to make me roll my eyes at the subject.

Omg this. If you have a gluten issue, I get it, but so many see it as a way to lose weight. I work in a restaurant, and you would not believe the amount of women that don't even know what it is and jump on the gluten-free wagon. I mean, I've been asked if chicken breast and steaks and salad have gluten in it, then they proceed to eat their dinner rolls and eat pies for dessert.