Brand New and have some questions

Options
Hello my name is Terry I just started yesterday So I am very motivated Question I am 5'3 240 I have been juicing so this is my new weight. I walk 2.2 miles everyday and I have 700 calorie left over from a 1200 calorie diet After 9 glasses of water I am just stuffed Will I still lose weight? ASAP Blessings Terry

Replies

• Michael_Popp
    Options
    Water contains nothing, except the minute minerals that are added to it - varies between water brand - but does not count toward fat or calorie intake. So yes, you will most certainly lose weight. Never think for a second you have to cut down on water, especially when you're exercising. It is essential.

Also, good job on blowing your goal away! Just make sure not to starve yourself, of course. Your body needs fuel as well. :smile:
  • solace19
    solace19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am eating about 900 calories a day am I in "Starvation mode? Thank you Michael for you your response Please advise Blessings T
  • mirki002
    mirki002 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi Terry! From what I understand (and I'm not an expert), MFP never recommends that anyone eat less than 1200 calories per day. This seems to be a good general rule to follow to make sure that you are getting enough fuel. Of course this number could be higher for some people, but based on your height and gender I would think 1200 would be good for you. Hope that helps :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I am eating about 900 calories a day am I in "Starvation mode? Thank you Michael for you your response Please advise Blessings T

Starvation Mode as it's often thrown around is not something you really need to worry about. But, at 900 calories a day it's hard to get in enough nutrition in your diet. Take a look at your diary and reports. Are you getting enough protein? Enough fat? Are you hitting or exceeding your fiber & vitamin goals?

900 calories is very low. It's not something that many of us are going to suggest you do.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Terry treasure
    900 cals is NO WHERE NEAR ENOUGH to keep you going, you NEED a minimum of the 1200 cals allocated by MFP and even that is low. Do you have a pedometer or a HRM? They both help you to track fairly accurately how much you're burning from your walks. I'm female and eat 1200 cals most days as I exercise (I also walk but around 8 miles a day and do weights in the gym) Starvation mode is a debatable subject but either way your body will burn lean tissue(muscle) if you don't eat enough calories to keep it fuelled, bit like not putting petrol in a car and then wondering why it stops.
    I'm definately no dietician but even I know you need to eat more.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    In my experiences, it's fairly common to feel satiated with fewer calories in the beginning. You're changing your diet a lot and are more conscious about your choices. You may find this fades after a couple weeks and you'll start to feel more tired, hungry, etc. You really should try to hit your 1200 calorie goal as close as possible. While you may feel full, your body needs adequate nutrition and it won't likely get that with only 900 calories per day.

Some common advice to remedy this is to skip the diet foods and eat more regular, whole foods. Also look into calorie dense foods like whole eggs, lean protein, avocado, healthy oils, etc. You won't be eating much more with these foods but you'll get more calories and nutrients. Don't be afraid of fat, it's good for you!

Also, make sure your logging is accurate. Many people tend to underestimate how much they're eating or use incorrect listings in the food database Weigh foods when you can, measure carefully when you cant and check labels against what MFP says. For instance, something like shredded cheese - you can really stuff a lot into a 1/4 cup measuring cup and end up with 2-3 times an actual serving amount.

Good luck!
  • SnowykittyXO
    Options
    hello
  • determined2567
    Options
    Hi. I am new to MFP and wanted to know if everyone uses the calories gained from exercise daily? I can't seem to eat that much food but don't seem to be losing and don't know if that's the reason why.
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    In my experiences, it's fairly common to feel satiated with fewer calories in the beginning. You're changing your diet a lot and are more conscious about your choices. You may find this fades after a couple weeks and you'll start to feel more tired, hungry, etc. You really should try to hit your 1200 calorie goal as close as possible. While you may feel full, your body needs adequate nutrition and it won't likely get that with only 900 calories per day.

Some common advice to remedy this is to skip the diet foods and eat more regular, whole foods. Also look into calorie dense foods like whole eggs, lean protein, avocado, healthy oils, etc. You won't be eating much more with these foods but you'll get more calories and nutrients. Don't be afraid of fat, it's good for you!

Also, make sure your logging is accurate. Many people tend to underestimate how much they're eating or use incorrect listings in the food database Weigh foods when you can, measure carefully when you cant and check labels against what MFP says. For instance, something like shredded cheese - you can really stuff a lot into a 1/4 cup measuring cup and end up with 2-3 times an actual serving amount.

Good luck!

OMG! YES! ^^^^ This! I had made my hubby some Duncan Hines cupcakes last night and chose to have one (without the frosting mind you). When I looked them up in the database EVERY Entry was WRONG. I mean, DEAD WRONG! By over half the calories! OMG People, you need to have a little common sense! There is no way on Gods green earth that a fat filled cake with cream cheese frosting and tons of sugar is only 160 calories!!!! If that were so, I would eat cupcakes ALL DAY LONG! I turned to my hubby and said " No wonder people come on MFP griping about not losing weight yet are insistant that they are within their calories!" So, for those out there that are curious, your average cupcake will start at 375 calories, and depending on frosting will only go up from there! I do however, have a good recipe for chocolate peanut butter cupcakes with no oil or eggs and a cool whip frosting that come in at 160, so you can make it happen if you pay attention.