The right type of shoes

Options
I have zero knowledge of "types" of shoes for what ever it is you are doing. I have some cheap walmart shoes. And for some reason, the bottom is life felt (*sp?) it's real soft and has no grip on the floor. I threw myself into Zumba last night, with my SIL. I haven't done Zumba in over a year. (My doctor just gave me the greenlight to start cardio, I was having some heart issues because of my thyroid) Anyway, aside from having to focus on not slipping and sliding, I felt as if my feet weren't evened out. I felt that there was too much pressure on my heels. By the middle of the first song, my ankles felt very uncomfortable. I know that it has a lot to do with getting them used to being active. But, I felt as if I didn't have enough support. My SIL recommended aerobics shoes.

But, I thought I'd come here and see if any of you have better knowledge of the types of shoes that work best for certain activities.
So, can somebody please recommend some shoes that will be great for Zumba? The new studio just opened up less than 3 miles from my house! YAY! It's too convenient to not jump on. I will go again tomorrow. (for a 2 hour Zumbathon, YIKES!!) I want to make sure I don't hurt myself in that 2 hour process.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I don't know much. I went to store that specialized in sport shoes. I choose the pair the clerk recommended!
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hello don't kill yourself starting out but I appreciate your enthusiasm!!!! You go girl!!!! Here is an awesome article that will give you some ideas!!!! If you are on a super tight budget Walmart has dance shoes as well :) Good luck!!!!

http://workoutgearreview.net/zumba-clothing/best-shoes-for-zumba-2013
  • KCMission
    KCMission Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i prefer really thinned soled shoes - I primarily do HIIT. As a former cardio-kcikboxing instructor, I am used to being barefoot - I taught in a judo academy, so we worked on the mats. I can't stand thick soles - doesn't allow you to use your toes right for balance moves. Just my preference - I am a believer in working out as close to barefoot as you can, but I have arch problems so now have to wear "something".
  • robbieann1980
    Options
    Thank you. I will check out the site.
    This instructor was great. During the times my ankles felt as if they were in pain, I'd slow down, and keep my upper body at work. And the instructor was great about it. I tried another class back in the winter. (At that time I didn't know I was having heart issues) During class, I thought I was having an asthma attack and had to step out, she glared and rolled her eyes at me. I didn't go back. But, this instructor has a motto "Don't overdo it, if you feel like you are in pain, or about to pass out, take a breather, or slow down and keep your arms moving at least."
    I love zumba. It's so fun. I'm glad to have found something that I enjoy. I'm going to do 3 classes a week, and walk the track by my house on the days I don't do Zumba. I'm hoping to really get my behind in gear. :-)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling pain in your heel, it may be that you are experiencing some plantar fasciitis due to a lack of support from the shoes. As a first step, hit the foot care aisle near the pharmacy in Walmart and look for arch supporting inserts to put in your shoes. Hopefully, you will find that relieves the heel pain. You may decide you always want to have arch supports in your shoes to prevent the pain from becoming chronic. Whatever you do, don't try to relieve the heel pain with softer, spongier shoes or heel cups. These only exacerbate the hyperextension of your foot that my be causing the plantar fasciitis.

Here's a good page showing how plantar fasciitis works and arch supports -- but you don't need their expensive product. You can find good alternatives at Walmart and other pharmacy footcare aisles. http://www.footminders.com/heel-pain-heel-spurs-plantar-fasciitis.html
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is a split sole dance sneakers. The sole with have more movement because it's split sole, but it will have the "cushion" your use to from normal athletic shoes, unlike jazz shoes which have very little padding in them. You can find a good pair online for about $35 - $50, so about the same as a lower end athletic shoe. You might want to find a dance supply store in your area first though to try them on and find your size. Dance shoe sizes do not run the same as normal "street shoe" sizes. Also, don't wear them walking around outside the gym/studio if you can avoid it. They will last SO much longer if you don't.

Here's an example pair: http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_DS11.html?SID=602687709
  • robbieann1980
    Options
    It was actually my ankels that were hurting. I'm thinking it was due to lack of support. As soon as I get off of work, I'll be hitting up the foot aisle to take a look at what they have.
    Maybe I should wrap my ankles. do you think that would help?