What do you eat with oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    I came by to add what I add to my oatmeal but everyone seems to have it covered.. I too bought A LARGE container of quaker oats at Costco, but I eat them just about every day to start my day. I add whatever and have them with coffee, then a little later I will eat some protein like yogurt, Cottage Cheese etc.. Good luck and Eat Well !
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I eat a cup of oatmeal, 1/4 cup blueberries and a TBS of flax seed every morning. No milk and I like it real thick so I may skimp on some of the water to make the oatmeal.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I mix in cinnamon, chocolate protein powder, and peanut butter.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I do the unsweetened almond milk as well with some PB and sometimes a few chocolate chips if I am feeling grouchy. CInnamon, maple syrup, vanilla, blueberries, flax, options are endless, and thanks to the person that mentioned pumpkin puree, haven't done that one yet!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Nut butter. One serving of oats and 1/2 to a full serving of nut butter = full for hours.
  • gcaldwel2000
    gcaldwel2000 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat my oatmeal with salsa and egg whites mainly. I can't eat it plain. I hear some folks at berries and/or cinnamon. I haven't tried it though. Another thing you can do with the excess oatmeal is make protein pancakes. I even use oatmeal as a filler when making turkey meatloaf and or meatballs.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making chai tea oatmeal? (you don't even need to buy expensive teabags, it's just tea, milk, honey and some spices - google it)

I cook the oatmeal in it then add a bit of crushed walnuts and a dusting of cinnamon on top. Heaven on earth.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I always use cinnamon and ginger....always!

sometimes I add:

torani sugar free syrups

libbys pumpkin
    chopped apple
    apricots
    pumpkin seeds
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making chai tea oatmeal? (you don't even need to buy expensive teabags, it's just tea, milk, honey and some spices - google it)

I cook the oatmeal in it then add a bit of crushed walnuts and a dusting of cinnamon on top. Heaven on earth.

This sounds amazing!! Thanks for the idea.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I like a savory oatmeal. I love to cook up fresh chicken sausage with onions and kale and eat that with oatmeal. Yum!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Fruit, cinnamon, a little honey or maple syrup is good too. You could also add some to some Greek yogurt for a little texture.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Mix a little bit of dry pudding mix (I like pistachio) into cooked oatmeal. You'll thank me later. :love:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    butter and brown sugar...that's it...and only that.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon protein powder. Sometimes more things like greek yougurt along with the protein powder if I want to make overnight oats and eat them cold the next day.
  • teabee17587
    Options
    peanut butter mixed through it xxxxxx
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I put Greek yogurt vanilla and chocolate protein powder in mine and I love it.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    The best oatmeal you have ever had, is dessert oatmeal. It's just oatmeal, peanut butter, and a square of dark chocolate with sea salt.

I also add cranberries, apples and almonds to oatmeal and I've done apple cinnamon too.

I'm not a big fan of the way oatmeal heats up a lot of fruits, especially berries, so I stay away from those ideas. You could also google "overnight oats" people make them all the time and there's tons of awesome recipes out there.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Summer Porridge:
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
    For sweet, I just alternate layers of oats, plain Greek yogurt, and berries, with maybe a scoop of vanilla protein powder and then pour in almond milk to cover.
    For savory, I layer oats, yogurt, shredded cheese, spices, and maybe a scoop of ground flax or chia seed and cover with milk.

Speaking of savory oats, treat it as you would rice, and be creative with your additions:
    http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/16-savory-oatmeal-recipes

Also, someone already said this, but it bears repeating: you don't need oatmeal AND toast - especially if you are ALSO adding fruit and/or honey/sugar/syrup to the mix. That is just a carb crash waiting to happen. Add protein and you will be fine.
  • Sabrina0826
    Options
    Splenda, a pinch of salt, and coca powder(only 10 cals per table spoon and you need like half of one) I use dark.. Maybe half water half unsweetand almond milk?
    I've started adding teaspoon or two of flax (tasteless) maybe a teaspoon of chia
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Just ordered some custom oatmeal from myoatmeal.com Getting some german chocolate cake and some creme brulet oatmeals!