Food Diary

Options
rose400
rose400 Posts: 10 Member
Looking for what works for you - Do you generally add to the diary as you eat it - or do you plan it out ahead of time?

I've been adding as I go but in the interest of my biggest problem of losing weight - PLANNING AHEAD - I've started adding all of my meals for the day. I find that if I'm hungry just knowing what's for dinner in an hour can keep me focused and not snack in the mean time...

Replies

• angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I prelog breakfast and lunch and then log as I go for the rest since I tend to get off track otherwise.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I og everything at the end of the day because I love surprises
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I tend to not pre-log my first meal of the day, but often log my snack(more or less the same daily) and dinner after I've had lunch, -if- I know what's for dinner. I find this helpful because I adjust how much protein powder goes into my afternoon yogurt based on that too.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'll plug in what I know or expect over breakfast, and then adjust it during the day.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I pre log every meal and snack in the morning. It helps me stick to what I have logged and keeps on track.
  • Jdigs88
    Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I generally log as I go, but sometimes I'll log dinner and lunch ahead of time so I know exactly how much I have to work with for snacks throughout the day. That way, if I'm feeling hungry, I know if I have calories available easily and if I don't have them, I know I'll have to modify my meal plans for later meals or add in some extra exercise. This becomes especially useful if I'm going to be going out to dinner instead of preparing a meal at home, as it let's me come up with a strategy for not going over.
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    I log every meal the night before I go to bed. Give or take a few hundred calories for any changes.
  • Renosu
    Renosu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is only my third day but last night I pre-logged my morning for today and it's a HUGE help! Especially when I was half asleep and thinking what to do for breakfast.... it was all spelled out and almost like having someone else do the thinking for me. I'll figure out the rest of the day as I go along.....
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Like others, I pre-log everything the night before and that way, I don't have to waste time the next day what I'll have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Makes life much easier; it's like having a pre-planned menu.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I find that if I'm hungry just knowing what's for dinner in an hour can keep me focused and not snack in the mean time...

I never thought of that, but I can see it working. Thanks,
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I pre log breakfast, lunch most days, because I know what I'm taking to work. Dinner is whatever looks good and fits into my calories.
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my meals and then add snacks as I go. If I change my mind, don't make it to the store, or am out at a mealtime, I change it as I go.
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Since I am trying to gain weight, I pre-log my lunch and some snacks (the ones that will go bad in my lunch box if I don't eat them) during the work week. Then I log as I go throughout my day. I always need to know how many calories I have consumed by dinner time to make sure that I go over (which sometimes just doesn't happen). On the weekends, the only meal logged is breakfast until much later in the day.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Great question!

I've been pre-logging the next day, the evening before. During the day of, I do end up doing some switching, but generally I have been sticking to the plan. I find it is helping me to stay on track, big time.
  • Rlavigne93
    Rlavigne93 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I usually pre log about a week in advance. It helps me get just what I need when grocery shopping.

Most days I have a few hundred extra calories after all my meals, so I log my snacks as I eat them.