Irish??

Options

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Whereabouts in Ireland are you (and yes, there's a few of us around, though the site seems to be predominantly US users)

I'm from Clare.....glad to see a few more of us so!

I stayed in clare (ennis) when I was about 14 the grange was the name I think it was beautiful. :)
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    Three of my grandparents are irish. I still have family there in Mayo, Cork and Limerick.

I've been there countless times.

Where abouts are you from?

Clare :) ....Next door neighbours of Limerick
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    ...he also ordered a drink that is common in the states and was one of his favorites. The pub fell silent. Took him a while to realize his mistake. He'd ordered an "Irish Car Bomb". The bartender recovered quickly and probably saved my bf's behind - asked him what that was. Guinness with a shot of bailey's. He said they have something similar, only they add creme de menthe and call it a Gorilla snot. Came close to having an awesome "bar fight in a foreign country" story - but thanks to the barkeep, only have an "embarassing american tourist faux paus" story.

That's funny because one of my local pubs has the Irish Car Bomb as a speciality!
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    Boston Irish. that's pretty close. Oh, and I love Guinness.

My stepmother is Boston Irish too....it's the closest to Irish you can be without being Irish
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've been to Ireland for a quick trip, so yeah, basically a native. Beautiful country! First thing I said as I was driving through the country side is "OMG, it really DOES look like the post cards". The patchwork green fields - just gorgeous. Stayed at a B&B in County Cork....the one with the grey horse out front. If you know the lady (lol kidding), tell her I'm sorry my boyfriend (at the time) puked on her beautiful ceramic ducks in the bathroom. He made the mistake of trying to hang with the locals at the pub. He could not hang. Did the best we could to tidy up, but all those nooks and crannies...YIKES.

LOL that is hilarious!......I was reading this and I was like "the one with the grey horse outside" but then I got to the just kidding part....phew, I don't know all the B&Bs in Cork

:laugh: Yeah, I'm assuming you get that a lot - you live on a fairly small island so you *must* know so-and-so. I get a similar question when someone finds out I'm part of a minority ethnic group. I've often been asked, "OH! Do you know ___?". Cracks me up every time.
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    Grandfather came over when he was 30 from Sheleighla sp??? I will come over there eventually. I'm a huge Clancy brothers fan and one day I will drink in a pub and take part in song and dance. And I want to drink some Smithwick's and Guiness at the brewerys as well.

Loving the place name....can't say I have come across it before! LOL

Lol. My spelling was horrible. Shillelagh village in County Wicklow.
  • NonSpeakingNotSilent
    Options
    Also Iran decent from my granddad and my father had some irish too, my grandad LOVED Ireland, and he has passed that onto me. (Though I only knew him when I was young. And my fiancé is of irish heritage as well need to find out where his and out relatives are from, I'm pretty sure I know but want to double check to be sure. We both plan to go to Ireland someday.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I was expecting replies like this....not that that is a bad thing!

Well... you know that the farther you get from Ireland, the more Irish you become as they say (I still don't know who "they" are). :smile: :smile:

My dad's grandparents came from County Clare.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm half Irish, but have never been to Ireland and would LOVE to go. My boyfriend's mom is from Ireland (Cork) so he has lots of family over there - I'm hoping we go visit them! :drinker:
  • Morgan5647
    Morgan5647 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish! 100%,
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I'm half Irish. Been twice. Absolutely gorgeous.

And the butter. I miss the butter.

It was amazing.
  • MikeCrazy
    MikeCrazy Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I'm half Irish. Been twice. Absolutely gorgeous.

And the butter. I miss the butter.

It was amazing.

Jealous! I lived in Bristol England when I was 11, but we never made it over to Ireland. So sad... :sad:
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm part Irish... and 100% redhead. :tongue:
  • Ripfit138
    Ripfit138 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I'm half Irish, half italian.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I am from Irish decent. :) red hair, temper, run in the family.
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    I'm Irish! 100%,

Woo Hoo! We found one :)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    There are a few Irish people about, do a search by some of the major city names.

My dad is Irish, my mam's dad was Irish...I am English by birth but 3/4 Irish by blood :) My Dad is from Killenaule, Thurles, Co Tipperary.

It's been a while since I have been to Ireland but I do love the place.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's Irish (I'm not!) and he's from Clonmel. He's actually going to Ireland for the weekend :)

We're planning to go together just after Christmas! I hope!
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    I'm a Scot :drinker: best I can do, maidin mhaith

Maidin Mhaith freisin!
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    My boyfriend's Irish (I'm not!) and he's from Clonmel. He's actually going to Ireland for the weekend :)

We're planning to go together just after Christmas! I hope!

Tipperary seems to be the place everyone is from (or their family was from) on here!