True or False: 80% diet & 205 Exercise for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Wow I know it is early in this thread but surprised by the answers thus far that it is all diet! I thought much more people would agree 80 diet/20 excersize.

I just feel so much better when I workout and feel like it does increase my weight loss versus just clean eatining within my calorie range.

Good to know I am going above and beyond with regular excersize.

Eating in a deficit is all you need to lose weight

You do Exercise for overall fitness

Because I choose to exercise I have to adjust my food consumption to fuel my body for the workouts that I demand of it to do...

If I was just wanting to lose weight then it would be all about a calorie deficit but I would still eat to compensate for my workouts because I choose to keep the two separate...... Best of Luck
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I am a poster girl for the fact that you can't out exercises a poor diet. I exercise a lot but my diet is not as clean as it should be and I am definitely not losing weight, maintaining, yes, losing, no. It is 100% what you eat. Wish it was different but alas...

On that note, not eating clean has nothing to do with it. It's not what you eat...it's how much you eat.

Yup. I eat very far from clean.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention wouldent gaining lean muscle play into affect that the 20% exersize rule is true? If you just diet without excersize including weight lifting sure you will lose weight, but you will eventually just be "skinny fat"

You aren't gaining lean muscle if you are eating at a deficit for weight loss. So, no.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention wouldent gaining lean muscle play into affect that the 20% exersize rule is true? If you just diet without excersize including weight lifting sure you will lose weight, but you will eventually just be "skinny fat"

Yes, but your title asked about weight loss. It didn't ask about fitness.

Well if thats the case- my title would have said physically fit. I want to lose weight and have lean muscle. not just lose weight with flabby extra skin. I incorporate diet, cardio, and weights into my weightloss journey.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

If your in a calorie deficit to lose weight then you are not going to gain any substantial muscle, but working out will help you maintain what lean muscle mass you currently have....
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Not for me. Of course you need to make sure you are not destroying your good work by eating any calories you worked off, but presuming that, it's more like a 45-55 split for me, as my daily deficit is about 750 calories, with 350 of that coming from eating less than I need to maintain, and 400 coming from the 80 mins of walking on average every day. If I didn't walk what I do, my deficit would not be 750 calories, it would be only 350.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options

If your in a calorie deficit to lose weight then you are not going to gain any substantial muscle, but working out will help you maintain what lean muscle mass you currently have....

Well I hope this is the case and I will continue to lift. I know under this fat is a buff guy, I know I am good in the strength department.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. For me, the more I exercise, the smarter I eat, and the easier it is to eat smart. So in practical terms my weight loss is nearly 100% from exercise.

But everybody is different....
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. For me, the more I exercise, the smarter I eat, and the easier it is to eat smart. So in practical terms my weight loss is nearly 100% from exercise.

I have to disagree. If it was 100% from exercise, would that not imply that you could eat whatever you want?
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    False - Weight loss is 100% diet.

That's been my experience.

I've seen people get in the trap of using MFP to count calories burned and then adjusted their daily caloric intake up.

It hasn't worked well.

I believe MFP DRAMATICALLY OVERESTIMATES how many calories are burnt during various activities. I'm sorry, but you aren't working through 800 kcals in 45minutes of yard work (to take an actual example from my feed). If you're eating 800 kcals more because of that, you're setting yourself up for frustration.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Well I hope this is the case and I will continue to lift. I know under this fat is a buff guy, I know I am good in the strength department.

You will gain strength, but if you are eating a deficit lifting will just help you to retain some of your lean muscle.

Example from my life that I find interesting: My boyfriend and I have been lifting heavy weights together since March. I have been eating between maintenance/surplus during this time and he has been eating at a large deficit. He has lost 17 lbs since we started and I have gained 6. We had our BF% measured and I found out that I gained 5 lbs of lean body mass. He lost 6 lbs of lean body mass (the rest was fat). No matter what, in weight loss and with a deficit, you are losing muscle. Exercise can help retain some of it, but you won't gain any unless you are eating a surplus.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I go with the Rock's take on this type of situation. Its 90% diet, 10% work out. You have to fuel your body correctly, but you wont get the best result unless you work hard along with your diet.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you so far! The number of pounds will probably slow down.
    I lost 90# before I even began to walk more. So for many of us, it is about eating at a calorie deficit.
    Exercise is really beneficial though, so it is important for your overall health.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as a percentage.

I see exercise as part of my "diet". I calculate how much I can/should eat based on my activities (including exercise).
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Well, if you change the title to physically fit, then its impossible without exercise, and exercise is the overwhelming percentage. But there is no percent "rule" in general, no. Intake is almost always the biggest impact on weight, (and almost always underestimated) and weight can be reduced without any exercise, but its not optimal, or even reasonable for most to do that.

Its dangerous to say this for most people, but if your diet is good and controlled, and you can just mildly uptick your eating with large caloric burn days or keep it the same, and you can lose weight that way too, making large exercise burn days the "leader" for weight loss, and you can rationalize "100% from exercise". But you have to be able to burn large amounts of calories for hours of exercise, and the less you weigh and the less muscle you have, the harder this is to do, and the easier it is to fall into the over estimate exercise burn trap. I switch back and forth between total calorie/daily deficit method and staying more in a maintenance mode while eating 1/3rd of 1400-3000+ cal burn days back. But, without staying in at least a low maintenance number of calories between, it wont work, so you can claim its "100% diet" again.

All this means to me is its not one or the other, but a balance that is important. I don't ever consider weight loss without exercise, since I know that is like quitting drinking to excess, but not smoking, considering the size of benefits to you on a quest for "health". Unlike quitting smoking and drinking together, weight loss and exercise go hand in hand and are easy to do together, almost everyone can do 15-20 mins/day average, and if not, 5 mins/day still has significant benefits, and everyone can do that (barring some physical issue). Why leave low hanging fruit for your health?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I have to disagree. If it was 100% from exercise, would that not imply that you could eat whatever you want?

There is theory, and there is practice. Read what I said again - or let me rephrase: "The only way I can consistently maintain a caloric deficit is by being physically active - ie, exercising."

That is why my weight loss is 100% dependent on exercise.

YMMV, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Weight control in general...whether you want to lose, maintain, or gain is all about consumption. Your consumption should be at an appropriate level for you activity (and other stats) and minor adjustments made to either lose, maintain, or gain as applicable.

One aspect of exercise that is highly beneficial to weight loss though...at least for me...was dietary adherence. Without any exercise I was only allotted a mere 1800ish calories as per my loss goals...regular physical exercise bumped that number up to around 2200 - 2300 which was much more doable and I found dietary adherence to be pretty easy at that point.