obsessed with the scale

Options
i weigh myself at leaste twice a day....I wish i wouldn't! i just feel I am obsessed with it. How often do others weigh? SOmetimes it help me not eat certain things but other times I feel its not good!

Replies

• sharonmac
    sharonmac Posts: 119
    Options
    I hear ya. I am the same way! Obsessed!
  • cnorris84
    Options
    The scale is a double edged sword. I used to weigh myself upto 4 times a day, but thats not an accurate representation of your weight loss. For instance,

weighing yourself multiple times a day, doesn't factor the weight of the food and water that you have intaked. Water weight is usually what falls off first.

The scale can be both motivational and disaterous for your workout, So, I started to weigh myself once a week. Sundays' are my weigh in days, I know that when I work my butt off, sunday is going to show for it. :-)

Hope this hels.
  • shaweetie
    shaweetie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm totally the same way. So obsessed. My Husband threatens to hide it on me:laugh: .
  • withinreach
    Options
    put your scale away!!! ... try to ween yourself off of it, being obsessed with the scale can turn into something much worse! I am recovering from an eating disorder and had to stop weighing myself completely. Sometimes its hard, but I feel free--and I am able to feel good about my body without it depending on the number on the scale! Start out just weighing yourself 4-5 days a week, then subtract a day each week until you get down to 1 time a week. If you feel like weighing yourself more than one time a day--just remember, its not really accurate unless you do it right when you wake up after you go to the bathroom--before you eat of drink anything. Anyways--good luck to you!
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You're only obsessed when you weigh yourself after a hair cut. In never hurts to see what your body is doing. You will see the natural fluctuations throughout the day, after eating, a drink of water, some exercise or evacuations. Just don't get upset after you've eaten or had a drink.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale away! Don't become obsessed over some stupid number. Body measurements are a much better indicator of weight loss success.
  • jennygurumi
    Options
    I weigh myself all the time. My scale is actually in the dining room. I recently lost 4lbs over a few months span since I quit working out regularly. It will be interesting watching the scale go up because even if it is for healthful reasons it just feels weird. :flowerforyou:
  • daisabelle
    daisabelle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I wish I had the strength to do it just once a week!
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    STOP, step away from the scale! There is rarely anything you can be obsessed with that is particularly healthy. Obsession with the number on the scale will lead to obsession with exercise, "If I exercise for X number of HOURS, I'll burn X number of calories..." Obsession with calorie counting, "Hmmm, I wonder how many calories I'm burning if I chew gum ..."

Don't get me wrong, your average person on here is paying attention to what they eat, counting calories eaten and burned, exercising more because they're trying to be healthier, and we all want to see the number on the scale go down. But your average person is barely weighing themselves 4x a week, nevermind 4x a day.

Becoming a healthier person should include your mental health as well as your physical health. Do yourself a favor and do the weekly weigh-in, eat absolutely no less than 1200 NET calories a day, and get a decent amount of exercise and you will see results.
  • DianaM1020
    DianaM1020 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love to weigh myself, but being 143 lbs my weight doesn't change much. I started only allowing myself to weigh on Friday mornings that way I look forward to it and it gives me something to work for!
  • jppizana
    jppizana Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! I'm in the same boat. I weigh myself every morning and sometimes before I go to bed just to see what the scale says. I don't think it is unhealthy (obviously) to weight myself and I use it as a tool to motivate myself and keep myself on track especially when I see the number getting smaller. I love that feeling of euphoria.

But I do warn you not to become too obsessed with what the scale tells you because what you are really doing is building your confidence. If you use the scale as the final say, then you are sabotaging your efforts. You should really concentrate on how you feel. If you feel like a million bucks then don't look at the scale. :wink:
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I didn't own a scale for many yrs because I was doing the same thing. I worked with a trainer last year and learned (retained my brain) that the weight takes time to come off. maybe you should toss the scale and only weigh your self once a week at the gym.