Back to School: Dress Code

Options

Replies

• Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    I teach in a school in the uk

We were trousers/skirts and shirts ties and v neck jumper is does make the kids look much smarter i make my form stand in alphabetical order every morning to check thier uniform down to extra earings and nail varnish if its not right they get a phone call home explaining the problem
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    There was a girl at a local high school that recently got sent home because of the color of her hair... They said it was "distracting" to other students and faculty. Here's where I have an issue with that... Her hair wasn't even something bright or neon colored. It was a darker/richer shade of natural red.

My son is 14. About to go into High School. He also wonders how hair is distracting.

That said, here where we are near Houston his dress code was:

K-5 - Free Dress (within reason)
    6-8 - Standard Dress (the casual uniform idea)
    9-12 - Free Dress (within reason)

Standard dress still had a list of rules that changed slightly when he got to 6th grade:
    Polo shirts only any color - at first it was NO LOGO/EMBLEMS. When he got to 6th they changed it to NO LOGO BIGGER THAN A QUARTER.
    Also able to wear spirit shirts.
    Khaki style pants any color (no camo), no large pockets. By the time he was in 8th grade the boys were rocking cargos in appropriate colors.
    No Headwear

For girls though, there was a conversation about not being allowed to purposely show a cami/tank under the shirt.
    No skinny pants
    Appropriate length shorts and skirts
    No heels (I think this is probably more of a safety issue really).

Now they do have to specify -
    No pants worn on hips or below (or whatever phrasing equates to "no sagging! pull up your dang pants!")

I believe a spaghetti strap tank without a cover is inappropriate school wear. A regular tank maybe not.
    Midriff shirt? Yep, inappropriate.
    Those tiny shorts that aren't any bigger than the pocket on the back? Inappropriate. Skirt of same length is the same.

I work with a lady and she was wearing a sheer top with a tank top underneath it. She looked like she was going out for date night. When I said "wow that's super sexy for work!" she seemed really surprised. So use your discretion with that. If you can SEE the tank underneath it without being in a "certain light" I'd go for no. But I have one of that material that is not really see thru and can wear it to work without a tank underneath.

Please remember teen boys = horn dogs.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's the same here In Washington and where some of them I agree with (I don't want to see butt cheeks or belly buttons), some of these are ridiculous!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Our middle school dress code is very strict....however, I would drop by daughter off in the morning and the women teachers would have on skirts/dresses so short they couldn't bend over and tops with their boobs falling out. The kids aren't the problem. My daughter is in high school now and goes directly from PE to cross country practice. Yesterday she wore a tank top running shirt, crew neck no sleeve no razor back or anything like that. The PE teacher called her on it not being in dress code, but the girls can were freaking booty shorts in PE and nothing is said. I told her don't worry about it and carry on, btw it was 100 here yesterday.

I also don't get the whole hair color big deal. Red, blue, pink, purple after the first day of seeing it, the kids don't care and certainly are not distracted by it.

We do our best to abide by the code, but my daughter is 4'10" and 80 lbs, she wears a size 7/8 kids short, hello of course they will be short on her they are made for a 7 years olds wait and length. I try my best to buy her longer bermuda shorts for school so they are thigh lenght but there is only so much you can do.

Such a waste of things to worry about.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    My daughter got a free hoodie one day.

Never happen in our middle school, they can't wear them LOL unless they don't have pockets. The soccer team can wear their uniforms on game day but not the track or volleyball teams because the shorts are too short...seriously LOL So glad she is in HS now.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Here's my daughter's High School Dress Code - below.

Sounds similar to yours:

No head gear (hats, caps, earphones, etc)
    No bare midriffs
    No low-cut shirts (at neckline or under arms)
    No pants worn below hips, exposing underwear or skin
    No short shorts or mini skirts
    No skimpy-strapped tank tops or tube tops
    No muscle shirts
    No offensive or obscene language on clothing, pictures or words depicting sex
    drugs alcohol or weapons
    No studded jewelry
    NO EXCEPTIONS
    To me, that's a reasonable dress code. Some schools are not so reasonable.

This one IS good!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    ...I do not have children. I recall in elementary school being harassed by teachers constantly. I developed fairly early, and when I was in 8th grade, I typically dressed like an adult female. I recall wearing black pants, a black tank top, with a white button up over the tank top (done up with the first 2 buttons undone...the 3rd button was "pulling" as many bigger chested females can experience). I ended up getting harassed for a week straight after wearing that by teachers. One point, 2 teachers were getting upset with me in the hallway in front of other kids. I finally told the teachers to "---- off".

There began my days of rebellious behaviour. I never thought of what I wore as being "sexy". I was also fairly large, and already got picked on by other kids...and to get it from the teachers just made my days harder. I basically went to school fearing I would be judged and criticized over my clothing every day.

I value freedom of speech, and the opportunity to express ones self, even if it might piss off others so of course, I highly disagree with uniforms so parents dont have to "put up" with dress code. If I do have a daughter, and she wants to dress for controversy, I would be fine pulling her out of school to home-school if the rules and guidelines for dress is as intense as it is now. Females will never win.

These days, I think home-schooling is the way to go if you want a decent education anyway. We have already discussed how common sense is not so common in this thread.
  • alyssamaryw
    Options

Yes, for some boys that's true. But why are the girls then responsible for how they dress because of that?
  • dakotababy
    Options

Yes, for some boys that's true. But why are the girls then responsible for how they dress because of that?

Please remember adult males can be/ = still are horn dogs.
  • SarahRuthRuns
    SarahRuthRuns Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My daughter's high school put it in pictures, Not sure what that says about education levels in general, but they seem to be fairly common sense. And I live in Florida.

http://www.marion.k12.fl.us/schools/nmh/Dress code sample photos 2013-14.jpg

My daughter is in college now, she says half the kids show up in pajama pants and hoodies, with sheet marks on their faces.

This dress code seems pretty reasonable to me.

The shorts in the "Acceptable" column in this image are not acceptable in our schools. LOL
  • SarahRuthRuns
    Options
    School is a place that is supposed to set students up for success. They are there to learn, to grow, and to slowly become adults. Most students will grow up to be adults and most adults will have a job for the majority of their life. Most jobs will require you to wear modest clothing and not have any of you underwear showing (bra straps, saggy pants...).
    Teaching children to dress appropriately should be the responsibility of parents, but like so many other things, the school now has to take that on as their responsibility as common sense becomes less common.

I don't have a problem with the dress code and I think there are different types of clothing that are appropriate at different places.

The outfit in question is something I would not be surprised to see someone wearing in my office. I'm tempted to take a picture of her in the outfit and post it. We did verify with the school that it would have been unacceptable. The reason being if a shirt is at all see-through, the shirt underneath has to be dress code so that if she were to remove the outer layer she would still be dressed appropriately. The shirt underneath was a tank top that did not have wide enough shoulders.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have more of a problem with what dress codes (usually for girls only) are saying about our society's view of women. Dress codes reinforce that clothes reflect the worth or morals of a girl in some way. Sending a girl home for wearing clothes others perceive as "too sexy" for school is basically saying her education is not as important as avoiding distracting her male peers. Which is especially disgusting to teach girls at an age where many of them have no other motives for wearing tank tops than because its HOT outside, they don't want to *look* hot, and are unaware of the stigma attached to showing skin until they are *taught* it. Honestly schools need to either let kids wear whatever their parents dress them in, or just use uniforms. I'm all for uniforms to be honest, there is so much social pressure, time, and energy that goes into worrying about how students look that should honestly be focused on LEARNING, which is what they are there for. Uniforms make it simple.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    What exactly is wrong with rips and tears? Children are active creatures and get holes in their shirts/pants all the time!
  • SarahRuthRuns
    Options
    What exactly is wrong with rips and tears? Children are active creatures and get holes in their shirts/pants all the time!

Most of the jeans they sell now come with rips in them... We were at JC Penney and there was one rack of jeans that fit our criteria. The style she likes, no rips, a price I was willing to pay. One rack of jeans and they all looked exactly the same, color and all. She got one pair. All she wanted was a different shade of blue!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Most of the jeans they sell now come with rips in them... We were at JC Penney and there was one rack of jeans that fit our criteria. The style she likes, no rips, a price I was willing to pay. One rack of jeans and they all looked exactly the same, color and all. She got one pair. All she wanted was a different shade of blue!!

The comment above ^^ I agree with...not to mention, in poorer schools and/or rural schools, kids might be doing work outside of school that is really hard on their clothes, and families might not be able to afford constant clothing replacements.

And OP in the comment just above I also agree with you...current styles should really be taken into consideration more. Even for adults, there are tons of jeans with intended holes, rips, tears, and drastically worn-looking areas. In fact I'm wearing some right now in my casual office. It's weird to think the new-from-JC Penney jeans with little areas of "wear" on some parts might be considered "ripped" and therefore inappropriate in some school districts if I were wearing the same jeans as a teen. Wow.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

So you're saying it's ok to wear a cami, mini skirt and heels to school? A learning environment? No.
    And I wouldn't let my son wear those stupid shirts with the arms cut out so girls can view his chest either. Not at school.

I even don't like the swimwear for boys on the swim team.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    So skinny jeans are banned, but other styles are not? I don't have a problem with a moratorium on leggings as pants, but what is really revealed by wearing skinny jeans as opposed to boot cut or flares? No matter how wide the leg opening, they will probably be equally snug on the hips, rear, and thighs. Is it hugging the shape of the calf that is an issue? Because even if we are wearing shorts and skirts that cover the knee, calves will be exposed. And what if a student starts the year with straight leg or "boyfriend" jeans, but then "develops" or simply puts on a few pounds and they become tighter, will she be shamed for her too-fitted jeans? As for the "destroyed" denim...I think it has become so ubiquitous that it would hardly be distracting...sloppy, perhaps, but how do you distinguish the girl who paid $50 for her torn jeans at American Eagle from the one whose ragged jeans are third generation hand-me-downs?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I say they should dress business casual.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I say they should dress business casual.

With their golf shirts and khakis, my boys pretty much do.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    One time, one of my 5th grade students wore a shirt that read: "My boyfriend is hotter than yours."

I looked at it an thought it was pretty stupid, and that parent must be pretty stupid for buying it/allowing the kid to wear it to school (the girl was overweight and really didn't need to put herself out there for other kids to bully by wearing a ridiculous shirt).

The principal called ME down to her office to chew ME out about this kid' shirt. I said, "Look, I didn't put it on her...call her mother and complain." Anyway the point of the story is that some administrators DO spend way too much time worrying about things that don't really matter.