Yet another thread about protein powder!!

Options
Long story short - I need more protein in my diet, and I'm not the biggest fan of meat (don't get me wrong, I do like it), and there's only so much greek yogurt and nuts etc I can eat!

Bit about me - 18 years old, female, 5"2, 132lbs (ish), from the UK, eating roughly 1500 NET cals a day. I exercise regularly and do strength training, and I know protein is important for muscle building and also for maintaining muscle mass when when trying to lose weight

What I'm looking for in a protein powder: :smile:
-High protein (duh)
-Reasonably low calories
-Not expensive!! Only on a student budget! :sad:

Any suggestions, anyone? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like the Body Fortress Whey Isolate from Amazon. 130 calories per scoop, and 30 g of protein. It's pretty cheap on Subscribe & Save, especially if you order 5 or more items and get the 15% discount, it's $9.34 per pound (free shipping!):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EQR53Q/

Oh, I just re-read you post where you said you're in the UK... Not sure what shipping would be like in that case.
  • dizzydomino37
    dizzydomino37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    www.theproteinworks.com are great. I use their whey protein 80. It comes in loads of good flavours and is the most reasonably priced I've found so far. They are an absolute pleasure to deal with too and that helps a lot in the grand scheme of things. Hope that helps!! BTW it's 99 cals a scoop and is delicious with almond milk which is 26 cals for 200ml. You can also half and half water and skimmed milk which keeps the calories lower. I can't drink it just with water though, it's an acquired taste.:smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'd be wary about Body Fortress.

A link to an article in regards to some things to look out for:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1380861-nitrogen-spiking

I personally recommend Optimum Nutrition Gold Whey Isolates. Trutein is also a good brand but it's a bit more pricier.

It comes in a variety of flavors and ON is between 120-130calories for a scoop (29-33g) with 24g of protein (dependng on flavor)
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I did lots of calculations into protein and costs per gram for different foods. It worked out that protein powder is 60p a scoop generally and 30g of protein. Compared to 1p for a portion of porridge, 8p for milk, 16p for an egg x 2. 22g of protein for 41p. It is higher calories but it shows that protein powder isn't the only way. Cottage cheese, lentils etc.

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Iron Sugar
    Tesco - Semi-Skimmed Milk, 180 ml 90 9 3 6 0 9
    Oatilicious Porridge Oats - Lidl - Fine Wholegrain Rolled Oats, 27 g uncooked 100 16 2 4 5 0
    Golden Syrup - Lyle's, 1.6 Teaspoon (5g) 26 6 0 0 0 6
    Eggs - Eggs, 2 each 140 2 10 12 12 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 286 33 15 22 17 15

Also if you do want protein powder, you can buy it in home & bargains for £14.99 for 908g
    http://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/8904-zone-nutrition-whey-protein-chocolate-908g.aspx
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If being consumed simply for protein and not to help satiate you in any way, I've found that whey isolate tends to be lower in calorie across different brands I've looked at.

As far as brands go though, I've only used BodyLogix, AllMax, and... some other random brand I forget the name of. I'd only rec BodyLogix. Non-isolate (I think they stopped making the isolate kind) is 117 calories or something (labeled as 120 cals, I calculate my calories based on given macros though). 24g protein, 3g carb, 1g fat, if I recall correctly. Tastes good too.

I'm looking into buying bulk on bodybuilding.com or amazon.ca though, whichever is cheaper, and looking at Optimum Nutrition.
  • robert5891
    Options
    Here's a link to a site that breaks down protein powders by price, quality, amount / serving, % protein per scoop:
    http://www.leanitup.com/review-protein-powder-buyers-guide-150-popular-protein-powders-shaken-graded/

The powder I prefer is Combat Powder by Muscle Pharm...it's a blend that has whey, egg, and several other proteins.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    www.theproteinworks.com are great. I use their whey protein 80. It comes in loads of good flavours and is the most reasonably priced I've found so far. They are an absolute pleasure to deal with too and that helps a lot in the grand scheme of things. Hope that helps!! BTW it's 99 cals a scoop and is delicious with almond milk which is 26 cals for 200ml. You can also half and half water and skimmed milk which keeps the calories lower. I can't drink it just with water though, it's an acquired taste.:smile:

Thanks~Ive been needing/looking for protein powders/shakes suggestions as Im getting ready to have surgery and will only be able to take in liquids.
    I too have to have flavor unless its water by itself, anything else needs to have flavoring to it otherwise I gag!
    I am in the US :happy:
    BTW~The low cal high protein suggestions are what Im needing & mixing it w/ almond milk is fine by me since that's what I currently drink :tongue:
  • AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Dymatize ISO-100 is my absolute favorite Protein. Will probably never stray from it. =P
  • annabel_adcock
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions! There are some ones I'd like to try - I think from what's been said that at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference! Drink up everyone! :drinker:
  • 1991Louise
    1991Louise Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use Maxine's BURN, 96 calories, 21.3g protein, 0.7g sugar and loads of other vitamins and minerals snuck in. One serve is 50% of your daily iron intake as well
  • juzu5
    juzu5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am looking for some supplementation to meet my macros as well. The article posted above about protein quality links to mostly American products/brands that are relatively expensive here in the UK.

I can't vouch for their quality but if you decide to go the bulkpowders.co.uk route, they have a 10% off first order code on their website. I was looking at a 5kg bag of "Pure Whey Protein" with the code and free delivery to make the price per scoop close to 31 pence.

Goodluck