What is more accurate? Weight or Measuring cups?!

Options
dakotababy
dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
Okay, so I have some yogurt. The nutrition label indicates that 1/3 of a cup (or 100g) is 30 calories.

So I weighed out 100g of yogurt, which came out to 1/2 cup!

Would you go by cup size or the weight of the yogurt? This is not the first time this has happened!

Replies

• thenicelady
    thenicelady Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Weight. Every time. Not every half cup weighs the same (various flours for example).
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    weight
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    Less clean up, as well. I place my bowl on the scale, tare to zero, add the yogurt by grams, tare to zero, add my just great stuff by grams and mix in my bowl. No teaspoon or measuring cup to wash.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1/3 of a cup should be about 80 g as it is 80ml of volume and yogurt is a similar density to water.

1/2 a cup 120 g

Weight is better, cups should be ok for liquids.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would use a measuring cup for yogurt. I generally weigh things that are hard to fit in a measuring cup. Yogurt fits in a cup.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Weight is always more accurate than volume.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Weight. NEVER volume.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would use a measuring cup for yogurt. I generally weigh things that are hard to fit in a measuring cup. Yogurt fits in a cup.

you can fit almost anything into a measuring cup...that is why solids should be weighed...
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    WEIGHT - don't know why you US guys use cups as they vary every single time depending on how much you push down the food into it!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    Always weight. To the gram. Also, as others have said, saves on cleanup!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weight, in grams.

I never use cups/spoons even for liquids, since my scale does ml.

Weighing is best by far.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Weight, in grams.

I never use cups/spoons even for liquids, since my scale does ml.

Weighing is best by far.

Agreed! :drinker:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

you can fit almost anything into a measuring cup...that is why solids should be weighed...

If you use self control and don't jam stuff in it isn't a problem. I've never had a problem with it. Other people like to weigh everything. No big deal.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

If you use self control and don't jam stuff in it isn't a problem. I've never had a problem with it. Other people like to weigh everything. No big deal.

question was what is more accurate...and per the OP...when you weight out the 100g it's not 1/3c it was 1/2c...it's not about jamming stuff in or self control it's about accuracy and which is more accurate...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Always weight for solids.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

question was what is more accurate...and per the OP...when you weight out the 100g it's not 1/3c it was 1/2c...it's not about jamming stuff in or self control it's about accuracy and which is more accurate...

Agree...but also, think about a box of cereal. When you're at the top of the box, if you pour out a half cup of cereal, all the pieces are big and whole and take up more space. When you get to the bottom with all the crumbs and broken bits, you're going to get a lot more into the half-cup without trying...you don't even have to "jam stuff in" or lose "self control" for it to happen. The smaller bits just create less empty space between them. It's Science.
  • Jenni_MFP
    Jenni_MFP Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Definitely weight. It's easier, faster and less clean up as a few have already said. I tend to weigh my liquids at times too, its way more accurate.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Weigh!

Typically the weight is usually less than when you measure it out, meaning more accurate. When I measure things, I use my eyes and most times overfill the measuring cup, when really it shouldn't be overflowing.

My food scale sits out on my counter and gets used multiple times a day! Quick and easy and takes no more time than measuring to be more accurate.